Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 11:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Whether it is cheaper FOR YOU depends on your current budget....

BTW, $30/night is low end, especially for a Class A. Some of those big RV resorts charge $100/night - and up.
Nearly all my FT friends have bought 'pre-owned' Platinum Thousand Trails memberships (~$10K) for 300+ days 'in-park'. Those features are no longer offered. MUST buy pre-owned membership

Our local RV parks are ~ $300 - $400 / month + electricity for LT stays. LOTS to do 'free' (in my CO, TX and WA locations).

Having camped / RV'd for over 50 yrs, we've stayed in only a few established campgrounds. I prefer the boonies or farms or friends. I keep RV sites at all my rural homes (free for friends). As do many of my friends and family. Once you start making connections, you will be pretty well set up. Several friends travel FT with 'building projects' often at state parks or youth retreat camps (very nice locations).
https://www.workamper.com/ (Yes, you can workamp as a retiree (and not have to work much)
https://rvlife.com/workamping-jobs-f...couples-solos/

A very well documented retiree FT RV experience from one of our own C-D posters.
Run Away With Home
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 02:19 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have noticed there are literally thousands of gently used Class A motorhomes from 20+ years ago that are selling for as little as 10K-15K. With the cost of retirement housing skyrocketing it would seem a possible alternative to renting and with some work/research opportunity to plug in at some campgrounds as well as via private property owners with acreage. The RV itself can remain fixed while a towed vehicle acts as primary transport. Thoughts?
Sewage, water supply, electricity, and managing the water vapor load inside the trailer; these are your issues.

A mobile home has a permanent fixed connection to sewer, city water, electricity, and has a HVAC system for a house. A motorhome or travel trailer has none of these.

All the compromises in an RV to make it go down the road, also compromise it as a long term house. Unless you really think you're going to move around regularly, a single wide is a cheaper and more reliable approach to low cost housing.

Old 08-29-2023, 04:17 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Great feedback so far, thanks!

So in campgrounds that allow long-term use, is the 10-year rule less of an issue with a travel trailer? I would think it'd be difficult to discern a 15-year-old trailer from a 5-year-old if well maintained? Boondocking doesn't seem desirable with water/waste disposal issues unless there is some kind of get-around I'm unaware of.
You do realize some sites can be $100 a night? 3000 a month can get a nice apartment in most places.

They can check the age of the trailer in 1 minute.........just look at the registration.

Old 08-30-2023, 04:40 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
So in campgrounds that allow long-term use...
Don't think of these sorts of places as 'campgrounds'. They aren't.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:31 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
My only experience is that my son bought a camper with 23000. miles on it. Everything had been cared for, but yet, no one could have foreseen that the tires rotted from sitting. He and his family had multiple blow outs on one of the first trips on the highway. It was very scary.

I think there’s a reason why there are so many used campers for sale. One, the thrill wears off after a few trips, and two, things start breaking. When things start breaking and you’re in the middle of nowhere…that’s bad.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
but yet, no one could have foreseen that the tires rotted from sitting.
That's a cop out. The RV tire issues are not hidden in the least.
If son didn't do any homework however ...
Quote:
I think there’s a reason why there are so many used campers for sale.
The biggest reason is that there always seems to be someone (like son) willing to buy.
Absent that they would probably stay where they were.

Old 08-30-2023, 02:08 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
Many of the rv manufacturers put on tires which can't safely carry all the weight of a fully loaded rv. Many of these tires aren't good even when brand new.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:12 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My only experience is that my son bought a camper with 23000. miles on it. Everything had been cared for, but yet, no one could have foreseen that the tires rotted from sitting. He and his family had multiple blow outs on one of the first trips on the highway. It was very scary.

I think there’s a reason why there are so many used campers for sale. One, the thrill wears off after a few trips, and two, things start breaking. When things start breaking and you’re in the middle of nowhere…that’s bad.
Standard advice is to replace the tires every three years. Regardless of what they look like or how few miles they have traveled.

Many people actually do foresee this. I am sorry your son missed it, because it is highly dangerous. Did he have his rig inspected before he bought it? A professional RV inspector would have told him about this.

You are correct that many RVs are shoddily built. The RV industry has stats that show that the typical RV is used 2-3 weeks in the first year it is owned, and then the annual usage decreases from there. Many of them are simply not built to last. The ones that are built to last are not cheap. Even when they are used, they still command top dollar.

That's why so many of us prefer our home-built rigs.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's a cop out. The RV tire issues are not hidden in the least.
If son didn't do any homework however ...
tire date codes...(6-7 yrs is considered MAX). Tires you buy from Walmart / retailer might be 2-3 yrs old on the date code). It's a long trip to USA and through the supply warehouses, and to the end user.

https://www.mastercrafttires.com/lea...f%20the%20tire.

Old 08-31-2023, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
tire date codes...(6-7 yrs is considered MAX).
The same issue crops up in the motorcycling world.
There are a lot "driveway jewelry' bikes that get sold as "low miles!" etc.
They will all need new rubber too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing