Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 02:38 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's a cop out. The RV tire issues are not hidden in the least.
If son didn't do any homework however ...

The biggest reason is that there always seems to be someone (like son) willing to buy.
Absent that they would probably stay where they were.

Nah the kid bought it and was thinking like a car, tires are good for 40-50K miles. A motorhome is heavy and sitting on 10 ply tires that sit in the sun for hours every day on concrete.

I knew of a beater motorhome sitting for 15 years. Guy buys it and has the restoration fantasy. 1st up: brake calipers were frozen. Tires looked good but were certainly dry rotted. Airs them up, drives around the block and one blew apart while parked over night. Ok 2 used tires up front and ignore the 4 in the back. Roof was leaking and the guy finally lost his parking space. My guess, the beater is in worse shape and never saw a camping event again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 05:55 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Great feedback so far, thanks!

So in campgrounds that allow long-term use, is the 10-year rule less of an issue with a travel trailer? I would think it'd be difficult to discern a 15-year-old trailer from a 5-year-old if well maintained? Boondocking doesn't seem desirable with water/waste disposal issues unless there is some kind of get-around I'm unaware of.
The first thing you need to do is "price" RV parks, and look into insurance. With years of RVing, I can tell you that most campgrounds I have seen did not fuss about the 10 year rule, UNLESS the unit seemed unsafe or ratty looking. Now, if it looks ratty, you are going to be out of luck. Oh, price "tires" too, as that should be an eye opener. Everything RV is extra expensive, and you'll need an RV repair person that will do, and a park that will allow work to be completed in the RV park, unless you take it into the shop.

You really need to go to youtube and get a better feel for RVing. Those not boondocking at least part of the time are generally paying quite a bite at the RV park.

Bluffing on the age? They can ask to see the registration paperwork, as you are at their mercy when it comes to whether they allow you to stay or not. Realize that much of the concern is safety, especially with old electrical wiring. Ever seen a motorhome burn? I have.

Many have a rule that the unit must be in running order, or if it is a trailer, you must have a vehicle to move it.

A 20 year old Class A? Have it inspected by an RV tech not associated with the seller. That will cost quite a bit, but in the long run, be worth it. The propane tanks will most likely not be removable in an older motorhome, so you would need to have propane delivery or take the motorhome out to have it filled.

You need to do a LOT of homework before diving into this. An RV/travel trailer is NOTHING like a house or apartment, so many systems, so many things to go wrong, and an RV tech by the hour is not cheap.

You have a lot of homework to do in order to make an informed decision. I have seen a lot of stuff go down. Also, some of those parks that allow people to stay in the older units ARE NOT the safest places to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Also you will need to follow warm weather because they are not meant for cold climates. In older ones things are constantly breaking and many parks don’t allow older ones. We used our older motor home for traveling and after a month I was sick of living in it and it was 27 ft for 2 people, one big dog and 3 very small dogs.
Some are meant for 4 season, not a lot of them, but more all the time as some that workcamp do so in the cold climates. We have done winter in a standard travel trailer in central KS. Biggest issue is the RV parks being open or their water lines freezing, plus if the electricity goes out, it is a BIGGER deal then in a house.

Old 09-24-2023, 06:19 AM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have noticed there are literally thousands of gently used Class A motorhomes from 20+ years ago that are selling for as little as 10K-15K. With the cost of retirement housing skyrocketing it would seem a possible alternative to renting and with some work/research opportunity to plug in at some campgrounds as well as via private property owners with acreage. The RV itself can remain fixed while a towed vehicle acts as primary transport. Thoughts?

we did it the year we hosted a campground (kelletville pa, ACoE pitt) and it was in an older class C - which are far better suited to do such than anything modern. and this was 10 years ago.

as stuff goes to hell, we are looking at live aboard chris craft's at present...

Old 09-24-2023, 08:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
we did it the year we hosted a campground (kelletville pa, ACoE pitt) and it was in an older class C - which are far better suited to do such than anything modern. and this was 10 years ago.

as stuff goes to hell, we are looking at live aboard chris craft's at present...
We have (3) friends who live on their restored(?) Chris Craft's throughout inland waters to Alaska. Often they winter in a harbor at lower latitude (usually near Vancouver BC / northern WA border. We had different mooring boats every week when we lived on Thetis Island BC. Even had an offshore oil construction platform overwinter there. (Fresh crew from Norway flew in by seaplane every 2 weeks.

10 yr motorhome rule is a real thing. I've been refused at storage facilities and campgrounds, and our 2001 is small, un-obnoxious, immaculate. No scratches, dents, fading (always stored indoors). + have an sunbrella fitted cover for storage yards. (No one can see the RV, but still refused due to 10 yr rule.)

Old 09-27-2023, 07:48 PM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
We have (3) friends who live on their restored(?) Chris Craft's throughout inland waters to Alaska. Often they winter in a harbor at lower latitude (usually near Vancouver BC / northern WA border. We had different mooring boats every week when we lived on Thetis Island BC. Even had an offshore oil construction platform overwinter there. (Fresh crew from Norway flew in by seaplane every 2 weeks.

10 yr motorhome rule is a real thing. I've been refused at storage facilities and campgrounds, and our 2001 is small, un-obnoxious, immaculate. No scratches, dents, fading (always stored indoors). + have an sunbrella fitted cover for storage yards. (No one can see the RV, but still refused due to 10 yr rule.)

more input please! I have been looking at 38-45ft range with 2+2, but inland waters, southern non freezing lakes where I only have to haul it a year or so to scrape the bottom. They tend to have twin 427s in the year range I am looking - up to 454s so it wont be a regular cruiser...but a weekend in a diff cove....

Old 09-28-2023, 03:53 PM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Whether it is cheaper FOR YOU depends on your current budget. For instance, at, say, an average $30/night, staying in fee campgrounds is just over $900/mo rent. For some folks, that's much cheaper than what they are paying now. For others, if they had $900 a month to pay rent with, they wouldn't be living in an RV.

BTW, $30/night is low end, especially for a Class A. Some of those big RV resorts charge $100/night - and up.
With my experience most RV parks offer a daily rate and a monthly rate which is much less per day.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:07 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

That's ridiculous. I've seen a lot of nomads and RVer's with this problem and it's unconscionable. They have nice rigs that are well maintained on the outside but they are not welcome, well good riddance. There are other places, although it looks like they are getting harder to find. Again, unconscionable.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:12 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
That's ridiculous. I've seen a lot of nomads and RVer's with this problem and it's unconscionable. They have nice rigs that are well maintained on the outside but they are not welcome, well good riddance. There are other places, although it looks like they are getting harder to find. Again, unconscionable.
And many are busted up rigs (a la Breaking Bad), that make you concerned to leave your rig next to their's.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-28-2023, 05:34 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
I don't know about back East but out West they don't allow anything older than ten years in RV parks (long or short term, or storage facilities). In cities like Long Beach and the like older rigs are allowed, but those place are quite large.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:37 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I don't know about back East but out West they don't allow anything older than ten years in RV parks (long or short term, or storage facilities). In cities like Long Beach and the like older rigs are allowed, but those place are quite large.
Different RV parks have different requirements in the West. We have stayed at some that have the 10 year minimum, and others that allowed it.

I almost cancelled and left a campground that had a lot of older rigs that obviously lived there. It looked totally sketch at first, but then I moved us all to a different area.

And it was a KOA.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing