Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 05:39 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times

Advertisements

There are KOA's that allow long term or permanent-type living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 05:42 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I didn't think so, but lo and behold, there it was (Truckee area). Officially? Probably not.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-29-2023, 05:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The first thing you need to do is "price" RV parks, and look into insurance. ..
some resources (There ae still a lot of LT RV spots near our USA props for ~$400 / month (Vacation destination areas) plenty to do, plenty of vacant RV spots.

https://escapees.com/long-term-rv-parking/
https://www.outdoorsy.com/blog/long-term-rv-parking
https://rvshare.com/blog/long-term-rv-parks/
https://www.campendium.com/rv-parks

Friends still buying the pre-owned and transferable Thousand Trails Platinum memberships (360 days 'in-park'), no longer available to purchase new $30k+) but still sold in the used / exchange market. ~$7000-$13000

Old 09-29-2023, 11:30 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Many of the rv manufacturers put on tires which can't safely carry all the weight of a fully loaded rv. Many of these tires aren't good even when brand new.
We replaced the tires in the first year with truck tires. It's amazing how long they've lasted.

Old 10-01-2023, 06:25 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yep. The KOA in Kingman has fenced-in permanent dwellings set apart from the campground area. It's not unusual for other campgrounds to allow long-term residency for workers who can't afford to rent a stick-built house.

Old 10-04-2023, 06:13 AM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Hold on a sec, it has been my experience that campgrounds have the 10 year (mostly its far more) rule for PERMY spots, not transient. we drove a 93 minnie all over the northeast for 10 years 2011-2021 and no one said boo.

our 2021 keystone will be 10 years old on 2031 when I retire and we do our '2 laps of america' tour (drive a day, stay a week or so, lather rinse repeat, different I-whatever to get there)

Old 10-04-2023, 12:52 PM

1,408 posts, read 749,061 times
My experience is only a very small percentage of campgrounds care about the age of your camper. Of the hundred or so that we've stayed in, only a couple inquired about our camper's age when I made the reservation.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:43 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have noticed there are literally thousands of gently used Class A motorhomes from 20+ years ago that are selling for as little as 10K-15K. With the cost of retirement housing skyrocketing it would seem a possible alternative to renting and with some work/research opportunity to plug in at some campgrounds as well as via private property owners with acreage. The RV itself can remain fixed while a towed vehicle acts as primary transport. Thoughts?
Be aware that some RV parks are limiting the age of RV's/Motorhomes especially for those parks that have full timers. Many here in Florida have a 10 year rule for permanent residents and 15 year for travelers. While you certainly can live in it full time, there are places you may not want to like up North in the winter months. Using your furnace uses up a lot of propane. If you decide to park it somewhere warm you then have to be sure the ac is running well although it really isn't hard to have the ac unit replaced. Also, unlike housing, leaking is a common concern if the roof isn't maintained properly.

If you are considering traveling with it, the engine itself may be of concern. Is it in good running order. Can you do most of the maintenance.

Another concern is that since this is your home, where will you go if the motorhome needs repairs? Be prepared. The cost of an RV goes well beyond the initial buying price.

That said, many 20 year old RV's/motorhomes are built better than any today. The one thing you need to do is to hire an experienced RV tech to look over the motorhome for any issues that it may have and stay away from Camping World...just saying.

I do think it may be a great idea for someone who might be trying out whether or not they like RV'ing and the life instead of renting. If you don't like it or you do like it but want something newer and better you can always sell for what you paid for it. Renting can be astronomically expensive if you are wishing to do a summer trip but if you have $10-$15k to spare you can buy then sell it again.

Edit to add: Also, if you tire of full time you can always purchase a home. Many YouTube RV'ers are now purchasing a place to crash at when they need or want to. I think this came about because during Covid many had to find somewhere to stay put where others started having medical concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing