Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:37 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,701,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniglotStudio View Post
I was just reading this thread and noticed you mentioned Long Island and Greenport, are you sying you managed to workcamp in this area?

We are looking into Rving full time, and I have a job lead in Brooklyn, it would be ideal if my boyfriend could workcamp in exchange for a place to hook up on the island while I work.
Since you are just a one post poster you may never return. But if you do I can tell you that Long Island only has one year round RV park on the entire island and it's all the way on the east end. You will find nothng anywhere near the city or Brooklyn. There are 2 other seasonal RV parks open just 5 months around mid way in the island.

And as a full timer you DO NOT want to live in an RV in the northeast winters. We struggle with it in south Texas where it rarely goes below 40 at night. Most of us have a small table top electric heater to help out. If you just use the RV heater you will go through your 18 gallon LP tank in about 10 days at around $40 per fill. With the electric heater we stretch fill ups about 5 weeks apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 PM

9 posts, read 71,318 times
Smile rv living

I live in the country now and have my own well and septic. I would want
to do the same with an RV. My questions mostly pretain to what is the
best 'brand' 5th wheel to buy, as far as up-keep. Any other tips about
living fulltime 'stationary' (most of the time) in a 5th wheel would be
greatly appreciated!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:20 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,028,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasroseforliberty View Post
I live in the country now and have my own well and septic. I would want
to do the same with an RV. My questions mostly pretain to what is the
best 'brand' 5th wheel to buy, as far as up-keep. Any other tips about
living fulltime 'stationary' (most of the time) in a 5th wheel would be
greatly appreciated!

Why would you want to buy a 5th wheel if you are going to leave it stationary.....You would be able to buy a manufactured home/prefab home cheaper...a top of the line 5th wheel for full timing in would be something like a Teton or Newmar and they can run 80-100K or even higher in price....not sure what you are trying to accomplish...
I would just put a prefab home on your lot and then buy a cheaper travel trailer or pop up...... as long as you have the proper tow vehicle.... and use it when you want to travel

Last edited by rtandc; 01-28-2010 at 08:54 AM..

Old 01-28-2010, 08:29 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,360,891 times
I want to do what your doing TEX Only I want to put in a Park Model. Or even a Small Trailer! But having headaches Finding the Lot!! Location No problem as long as its SOUTH!!!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Why would you want to buy a 5th wheel if you are going to leave it stationary.....You would be able to buy a manufactured home/prefab home cheaper...a top of the line 5th wheel for full timing in would be something like a Teton or Newmar and they can run 80-100K or even higher in price....not sure what you are trying to accomplish...
I would just put a prefab home on your lot and then buy a cheaper travel trailer or pop up...... as long as you have the proper tow vehicle.... and use it when you want to travel
Thanks for reading!....I have done some research and prefabs and modulars are more expensive, and
I would not buy 'top of line' RV...have looked at many on the PPL lot in Houston in 30,000 range.
My reasons for 'being mobile', may be difficult for some to understand, so here goes.....I do not believe the US economic system will get better. In fact, believe it will get much worse. I want to be
totally off the grid eventually, and able to move 'to higher ground' if need be. I may need to go compound with friends or family living elsewhere. Makes perfect sense to me!....(I really could live
in the middle of 50acres, but can't afford it!)..

Old 01-28-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I want to do what your doing TEX Only I want to put in a Park Model. Or even a Small Trailer! But having headaches Finding the Lot!! Location No problem as long as its SOUTH!!!
Katie1....hey, thats what I'm wondering about....the lot. I don't want a RV park, its just tooooo close in...would like about 1/2 acre or large lot....haven't started looking yet, but I do know the
prices are lots cheaper long way from city and urban areas. you might start there.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:36 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,028,304 times
Quote:
Thanks for reading!....I have done some research and prefabs and modulars are more expensive, and
I would not buy 'top of line' RV...have looked at many on the PPL lot in Houston in 30,000 range.
My reasons for 'being mobile', may be difficult for some to understand, so here goes.....I do not believe the US economic system will get better. In fact, believe it will get much worse. I want to be
totally off the grid eventually, and able to move 'to higher ground' if need be. I may need to go compound with friends or family living elsewhere. Makes perfect sense to me!....(I really could live
in the middle of 50acres, but can't afford it!)..
Ok now I understand where you are trying to go with your RV, problem is that many rv's for sale are made just for seasonal use...meaning to find one that can handle full time living will require more cost and more options added....things like larger holding tanks, dual pane windows, extra insulation etc....

The first problem you will need to solve is how you are going to generate your own power be it with with solar, wind, propane or by use of a portable generator or a combination of all.
Propane and gas for the generator can be very costly ...A bank of batteries are very costly and must be kept charged or will have a very premature life span.....

Even a smaller size 5th wheel will need at least a 3/4 or one ton truck to pull it with so you need to think about that also...if you go with a large 5th wheel many will need a HDT to pull it

Sorry that is about all I can help you with....dry camping for a few days to a week in your RV is one thing but going totally off the grid is something different....

Last edited by rtandc; 01-28-2010 at 10:08 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 09:47 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,263,172 times
TexasRose,
I was also wondering why you'd want a 5er instead of a mobile home. Now that I understand.... yup, Teton and Newmar would be 1 and 2 imho. Double Tree, Carriage, Travel Supreme, Excel, New Horizons, KZ, and NuWa would be some other great brands. (I assume you're looking at used units.)

These will require a 1-ton DRW or larger to safely pull.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 PM

Wyo Newk,
Thanks so much for info about RV's. And you may know, most of us folks in Texas, we have BIG trucks!...so that really isn't a prob. I appreciate your info. on the best 'brands'. I have spoken with someone
in the manufacturing end of RV and they concurr with you...and also said
they could maintain livable stationary status over many years as long as
they were covered (which is my plan for sure)...Thanks again!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:29 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,760,170 times
Quote:
Wyo Newk,
Thanks so much for info about RV's. And you may know, most of us folks in Texas, we have BIG trucks!...so that really isn't a prob. I appreciate your info. on the best 'brands'. I have spoken with someone
in the manufacturing end of RV and they concurr with you...and also said
they could maintain livable stationary status over many years as long as
they were covered (which is my plan for sure)...Thanks again!

And you've checked into whatever local zoning laws you have and made sure that living in an RV is an approved use, right?

There's lottsa places where Big Brother says it's a no-no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing