Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:05 AM

13,929 posts, read 39,310,687 times

Advertisements

Most "camping lots" Only allow 180 days a yr to Live on the lot Even tho you Own it! & Dues are $900 & Up a yr!! I want one I can live in Year Round.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 04:22 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,888,060 times
What's it like to live in an RV full-time? I've always wanted to know.

But I have so much clothing, I don't think I would be able to do that really. But I do love RV's. They are fun to travel in. Saves money on where to sleep, eat, and shower that's for sure (no motels/hotels anymore, Toto). I wished I had one.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:05 AM

13,929 posts, read 39,310,687 times
Most RVs have a ton of Storage!! My son & I lived in a 18 foot Travel Trailer when he was 16 yrs old. At 17 I got a 24 footer. Moving it around was No problem as I owned the 1/3 of acre lot.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:16 PM

9 posts, read 71,310 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for info Cornerguy1, Thank goodness, as for now the laws in Texas are not quite so 'binding' as in other places. Not to fear the gov.
is working on it! It is possible to purchase land in the country and not
have near the restrictions. Texas has always held to private property rights like a religion....and hopefully we can continue in that vein. We may
even be able to elect a Governor who wants to discontinue property taxes!

Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,751,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasroseforliberty View Post
Thanks for info Cornerguy1, Thank goodness, as for now the laws in Texas are not quite so 'binding' as in other places. Not to fear the gov.
have near the restrictions. Texas has always held to private property rights like a religion....and hopefully we can continue in that vein. We may
No worries, texasroseforliberty........just thought I'd mention it cuz it can be a real bummer to get things all set up and then have a county bylaw enforcement officer telling you to tear it all down.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:48 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,859,035 times
We have been living in ours for the past 6 months almost....2 weeks in a park, didn't last long... Since September on a lot we rented with RV hookups...city water and sewer, 1/2 acres fenced. September electric was $199 or so. We went down to about $90, then had to turn the electric heater we brought with on and went to $135 with that running overnight. Way cheaper than to run the propane furnace. A 40# propane went for almost 2 months to heat water and run the stove. I shut the water heater off when we weren't using, when I remembered. There isn't much insulation in the oven I don't think.... We have a Travel Supreme, wonderful unit, but also had it in Alaska. Needs more insulation, double windows, much more efficient furnace... The air does work well considering the temps down here.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:57 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,021,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasroseforliberty View Post
Texas is very RV friendly...but just remember...an RV most likely will not fall under many of the local zoning laws pertaining to homes built on a permant foundation and may fall more under local vehicle codes which most likely will differ....Just make sure you check everything out real good before you go start spending big bucks on an RV.....There is a reason RV parks charge big money every month to rent a small patch of land

Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 PM

9 posts, read 71,310 times
Default good info...

how do you think I could find those regulations out?...would a relator know? I have seen 5th wheels and travel trailers parked on country property and being lived in, guess I could drive up and ask!..Thanks for
the valuable information, I will sure be careful in planning.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
City or county planner's office should be able to help you out.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Katie I never heard of anywhere with 180 day max stays. Especially if you own it. In Florida, home of the most owned RV lots you can stay year round. We explored several and rented in one while the owner was away. In Texas where I am now there are no limits of any kind. Now up in Dallas where nearly every RV park is county owned, they all have 2 week max stays. Because they are so inexpensive many full timers go from one to the next and start over again every 2 weeks. There are many and all close together. Lake Lewisville Park is real nice and my favorite.

The only horrible place for RVers is southern Nevada. RVs are not welcome. The few RV parks like Boulder Station has 7 day limits and as you check in the pigs are there to check you out since so many criminals look to Vegas to hide. Yes they run checks on you as you check in. Laughlin, Nevada is not much better. As you cross over the Colorado River and into Bull Head City you will see lots of signs that say Welcome to Bull Head City, we welcome RVers. That one RV park on the LV strip is different. It costs $250 PER NIGHT and they scope you out to approve your stay. They can go pound sand with their dainty wealthy hands.

We just left an RV park after 9 months stay just last weekend. There were rigs in there that have not moved for 4 years. The only other place that is not RV friendly that I can think of is Long Island, NY where standard rigs have to take specific roads and are banned on others. NY State is great. Utah is my most favorite, southern Utah, not north. We traveled southern Utah extensivly and spent much time there. Cedar City is so beautiful as well as the whole Zion area. California, Arizona and New Mexico are fantastic places to explore. Flagstaff, Arizona is our personal favorite in the summer. It's 120 in Pheonix and an hour away in Flagstaff it's 65.

We liked Oklahoma in some areas but others were just boring. Virginia was voted the most beautiful state to travel by Over The Road Trucker magazine. I agree. We stayed in Virginia Beach for a while before falling so hard for the Blue Ridge Mountians. Smith Mountian Lake is the most beautiful lake on the face of the earth below Roanoke and at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountians. I never seen any stay restrictions anyplace out there. Maryland we spent a great deal of time too. Again, never heard of any time restrictions.

Happy camping !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing