Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:23 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Kind of like lowering the TV antenna on a travel trailer before hitting the road!
Don't forget ( ha ha) the roof vents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Always refill propane tanks immediately after returning from trip.
Buy a trickle charger and keep it hooked to your deep cycle battery.

Create a MASTER LIST of all items on board. After each trip update list on items needed and items to refill or replace.

Quadruple check to make sure all leveling legs are in the up position and secured.

Keep a level in the trailer to level out trailer for proper door operation and reducing headaches from (brain swelling). < little joke hehe

Bring extra fuses for trailer if used.

Check spare tire before each trip. Make sure trailer jack is on master list and check.

Make sure to have a trailer lock to prevent theft if disconnecting a leaving trailer after arrival at destination. DONT GO CHEAP HERE!!! Buy the heavest duty one you can find for your trailer. Protect that several thousand dollar investment.

That is all for now. HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:15 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
best advise I can give "never miss a chance to go camping"

Old 07-04-2010, 03:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I have one other suggestion - know the electrical specifications in your pop up. The smaller ones are meant for only small electrical items, you'll trip a breaker if you try to plug in something requiring too many watts.

My popup is small and simple - so I have two extension cords - one I run to the camper's plug but he other is a direct connection with the hook up and lets me plug in a small space heater or something else requiring more watts. The electric outlets in my pop up can only handle things like radios, small coffee maker, battery chargers, televisions.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 13,682 times
We just got ours a year and half ago and have done a lot of camping in it. I am always thinking about the storage issue, as far as what we can safely keep in it. We keep it covered at a storage site but it sits in the hight heat and freezing cold. I am more concerned with the high heat. What should not be kept in here.

We have to kids 7 and 10 and we have become crazy about not allowing any food anything inside because we have had trou me with ants. What to do? We are so glad to find this site. : )

Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 AM

363 posts, read 988,798 times
Buy 2 accessories right off the bat, popupgizmos and a drill adapter.. Popupgizmos are a reflective type material that you attach to the outside of the canvas bunkends. They help debris off the material and reflect a lot of heat during the summer improving the performance of the AC if you have one. In the winter they will keep heat in and help prevent condensation that form on the inside of the bunk ends. I also recommend an attachment that can be put in an electric drill. Makes raising the rook and the extending the stabilizer jacks a breeze. Also keep pieces of wood or a pack of Lynx Levelers to level the trailer side to side. You can buy any of these products and get information overload from popupexplorer.com.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 13,682 times
Good advice thanks!

Old 07-13-2012, 03:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by partymowicz View Post
We just got ours a year and half ago and have done a lot of camping in it. I am always thinking about the storage issue, as far as what we can safely keep in it. We keep it covered at a storage site but it sits in the hight heat and freezing cold. I am more concerned with the high heat. What should not be kept in here.

We have to kids 7 and 10 and we have become crazy about not allowing any food anything inside because we have had trou me with ants. What to do? We are so glad to find this site. : )
I think it depends on where you live -- I keep mine in a shady part of the yard and I don't have a problem with ants or moisture but family members have had a lot of problem with mice getting into their popups and say that they have to put mothballs in when storing to help keep mice from taking over. Also moisture builds up and they get a moldy smell. I think high arid heat is better than a lot of humidity and moisture.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 AM

212 posts, read 687,197 times
we keep everything in ours except food and clothes. paper towels, kitchen towels, plates, cups and tableware, napkins, candles, bug spray, fan, coffee maker (if primitive, I take out and put food in that cubby). every so oftern I go thru and take out stuff we haven't used, make space for other stuff. one of the cubbies under the bench is my hubbys tools, camp grill (just in case) pie irons and cooking sticks. and other cubby I do keep canned food in, like stuff for pie iron pies, corn, potatoes, carrots. what I do is keep the sheets on the bunk ends and just spread out the pillows and blankets and leave them there. we don't set ours up everytime we come home so I wash the sheets n stuff every couple trips. ours has a slide out, so we def have a system between the two of us, to make sure we don't pinch the a/c cord or canvas. takes some time to get it down but we work good together.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:35 AM

212 posts, read 687,197 times
ooh we have the gizmos too but haven't used them yet. got them from a friend so bought at a good price. glad to hear someone else likes them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing