Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:46 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,098 times

Advertisements

We just bought a pop up camper (used). did a search for some advice but looking for any tips when we go camping. Such as putting newspaper under the mattress if it will get cold at night.
Anyone have any good advice, special tips for us? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 08:18 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
We just bought a pop up camper (used). did a search for some advice but looking for any tips when we go camping. Such as putting newspaper under the mattress if it will get cold at night.
Keep it garaged or covered when not using it and it will last forever.
If it doesn't already have them install bearing buddies for the wheel bearings
Disconnect the battery when your not camping
no need for the newspaper just don't tuck your bed in around the mattress
Put a set of pots and pans in the trailer and leave them, same with items like a can opener, that way you always have them there and wont forget them
When you raise the top if you feel a sudden increse in cranking pressure, stop and walk around and check that nothing like wiring has hung on something (happened to me the first time)
always check that you closed your vent before lowering the top
walk around the trailer several times while folding it down to check everything is in place
I'll think of more later
I've owned two tent trailers, the one i have now i've owned for 20 years
they are a great way to camp.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:44 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Keep it garaged or covered when not using it and it will last forever.
If it doesn't already have them install bearing buddies for the wheel bearings
Disconnect the battery when your not camping
no need for the newspaper just don't tuck your bed in around the mattress
Put a set of pots and pans in the trailer and leave them, same with items like a can opener, that way you always have them there and wont forget them
When you raise the top if you feel a sudden increse in cranking pressure, stop and walk around and check that nothing like wiring has hung on something (happened to me the first time)
always check that you closed your vent before lowering the top
walk around the trailer several times while folding it down to check everything is in place
I'll think of more later
I've owned two tent trailers, the one i have now i've owned for 20 years
they are a great way to camp.

Now that is the voice of experience speaking

Old 05-30-2010, 12:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
I keep a long extension cord, water hose and also I keep everything I need for camping in mine, that saves on having to pack and unpack. A small electric space heater unless it has a heater - that can help if it's wet and chilly. Sweatshirts and extra socks can be left so they are always available.

If camping for more than a few days in one place, I like to put up a tent just outside the pop-up as a changing room, extra room or for storage.

They're definitely nice -- easy enough to tow and can be used in places the bigger trailers and RVs can't go.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:37 AM

Wow, great stuff! exactly what i was looking for! like the extra socks and sweatshirt idea

Old 05-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Wow, great stuff! exactly what i was looking for! like the extra socks and sweatshirt idea
Other things I keep stored in the pop up in the storage compartments -- fishing pools, camp chairs, paper plates and plastic silverware, drink cups, bowls, but also some that aren't -- like cheap plastic plates (for special occasions), bath or swim towels, shampoo, everything like that, laundry soap, dish soap, plastic tubs for washing up, small pillows, wash clothes, cutting board, can opener, knives, entire set of pots and pans - one of each size - cheap and easy to clean, small broom, small shovel, a porta-potty, toilet paper, sleeping bags, matches, bandaids, first aid ointment, fishing poles, small air compressor, stuff for lake like blow up toys and boats to ride in.

And I use some of the bigger plastic storage bins with covers - 2 or 3 to store whatever doesn't fit in the pop-up storage areas, one for food -- lots of easily stored items, hot chocolate, oatmeal, dry milk, dry soups, spam and other canned food.

You can arrange the storage bins and ice coolers so you can use them and keep them in the camper or use for picnics - just keep them easily retrievable and you are always good to go.

I try to keep the popup ready to go with just duffle bags added that are packed up right before we go. It's a whole lot easier to just keep all the camping supplies and camp food for the season stored in the popup and you need little time to pack and unpack. Keep it prepared for all seasons with shorts and warm clothes and you won't be caught offguard.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:48 PM

damn, you are organized!! i need to print that out!! We have our first trip tomorrow!

Old 05-31-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
damn, you are organized!! i need to print that out!! We have our first trip tomorrow!
No -- I'm the opposite - which is why I do it that way. The more things you keep in your pop up, the less you have to remember to pack up every time and the fewer problems you run into later. I've been caught in snow storms in mine and the little $20 heater makes it nice, also when it's raining and chilly. I've been surprised at how cozy they stay, just keep any openings under the slide beds covered, zero degree sleeping bags help also.

Have fun with your pop up. You'll love it.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:19 AM

621 posts, read 1,614,589 times
Don't touch the canvas when it's wet!!! I always got yelled at when i was a kid for doing that...
Miss those times!! Fun times in 1975 Starcraft pop-up..

Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Now that is the voice of experience speaking
Kind of like lowering the TV antenna on a travel trailer before hitting the road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing