Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 03:57 AM

3,630 posts, read 3,418,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
A/J; why the overriding desire to pile it on?
Because I am an Anglo-Canadian, and as such, cannot possibly be right, in the eyes of a Franco-Quebecer.

You see, Bru, they are our superiors. They know our culture (or lack of it, as they see it), they know our language (and another one besides), which automatically makes them better. They govern our country, because it is a bilingual country, and they speak both languages, so that makes them better. Bow down before your betters, you unilingual BruSan.

Don't you know, BruSan, that Quebec is the only jurisdiction qualified to nominate candidates to the Prime Ministership? Pierre Trudeau, Brian Mulroney, Jean Chretien, Paul Martin--all Quebecers.

Stephen Harper? He was a mistake. Albertans are not allowed to be PM. After all, they are not Quebecois, and cannot speak French. He hasn't been qualified, according to the Laurentian Elites. But he was popularly voted in by the people of Canada.

Gee, Quebec--if Albertans can become PM, maybe you're not as important as you think you are. Superiors indeed. Pffft!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 04:54 AM

676 posts, read 649,880 times
I can't take a 9 team league seriously where almost everyone makes the playoffs. Stupid I know, but there's just nothing to persuade me to be invested into the product. It just screams of all those semi-pro minor league systems out there where things are always in flux. That said, if I was a huge football fan I'd give the CFL a chance regardless, but its current structure isn't going to make me abandon my already oversaturated sports attention spans.

Put a tenth team somewhere and make the regular season incrementally more significant and I'll probably at least view the highlights.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,507,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Because I am an Anglo-Canadian, and as such, cannot possibly be right, in the eyes of a Franco-Quebecer.

You see, Bru, they are our superiors. They know our culture (or lack of it, as they see it), they know our language (and another one besides), which automatically makes them better. They govern our country, because it is a bilingual country, and they speak both languages, so that makes them better. Bow down before your betters, you unilingual BruSan.

Don't you know, BruSan, that Quebec is the only jurisdiction qualified to nominate candidates to the Prime Ministership? Pierre Trudeau, Brian Mulroney, Jean Chretien, Paul Martin--all Quebecers.

Stephen Harper? He was a mistake. Albertans are not allowed to be PM. After all, they are not Quebecois, and cannot speak French. He hasn't been qualified, according to the Laurentian Elites. But he was popularly voted in by the people of Canada.

Gee, Quebec--if Albertans can become PM, maybe you're not as important as you think you are. Superiors indeed. Pffft!
It doesn't seem to matter how outlandish the claim; if it's anything at all anti-ROC, they all (or at least the designated sock puppets) rush to clap each other on the back like a bunch of trained seals at Marineland.

Those of us who have travelled world-wide and encountered any number of disenfranchised people, have no patience for the garage sale 2$ leaf blower whine emanating from Quebec over everything from language to intestinal parasites. Their culture is not so much unique as it is simply antiquated. Like visiting any area rife with history, it is the visitors connection with the past that enthralls them. That has a value but not above the imperative of reasoned social intercourse with your fellow citizens.

The childish behaviour so systematically displayed, resulting in decades of accommodating them has to be brought to an end in a resolute fashion that would not be misconstrued by any three year old throwing a tantrum on the living room carpet. I care less whether that termination of coddling is via ours or their origin only that it should happen sooner rather than later.

They are deserving of no more "special" consideration than the uniquely cultured fourth generation Newfoundlander hauling in his lobster pots in back-of-beyond harbour no other Canadian has, or is ever likely to set foot in. He is also Canadian, full stop.

I abhor this special status awarded simply due to stridency and constant threat.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:05 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,071,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

Chevy, normally you're better than this.

Why all the vitriol? What did I say that was so outrageous?

You seriously don't think that the passion for the NFL of many Canadians (and corresponding indifference or even hatred for the CFL) is a result of "coloured lights that hypnotize"? Really?

BTW guys, it's quite offensive given that you guys know where I am from, to act as if I don't know anything about Anglo-Canada as if I just fell off the turnip truck in Chicoutimi.

Let me remind you that I was born among you, grew up among you, went to your schools from elementary to university, was in Wolf Cubs with you, played hockey, baseball and soccer with you, had Christmas dinner in your families, partied with your sons, lost my virginity to your daughters, worked in your offices beside you, including in your cultural industries...

Old 08-10-2015, 08:17 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,338,713 times
This is about football, ja?

Old 08-10-2015, 08:47 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,302,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
This is about football, ja?
Clearly there's a little angst built up...

Does everyone need a group hug?

Old 08-10-2015, 08:49 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,071,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Clearly there's a little angst built up...

Does everyone need a group hug?
Or at least a huddle...

Old 08-10-2015, 08:52 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,302,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Or at least a huddle...
Don't forget, we allow 12 in the huddle, because we're more inclusive than Americans, who only allow 11. Plus, four probably have to be Quebecois.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:43 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,540,476 times
American Football is the most neanderthal-like sport of all time and so this is therefore a non issue. Question veto'd.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:42 AM

800 posts, read 731,205 times
The nfl is also a multi billion dollar company. The highest grossing league in the word. The leafs are probably worth more than the cfl combined. SO u understand why no one cares. Plus it I a watered down product. All the best football players. Canadians included. Play in the nfl. Or will play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada