Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 08:30 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,764,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
No. The highest paid players in the CFL make 500-600k in Canadian dollars.

At one time in the past CFL salaries were a lot closer to the NFL.

This was before NFL salaries exploded and CFL salaries came down due to the league's financial problems.
There was a long debate in another forum, which I cannot share here due to CDF rules that discussed about the CFL's finances and TSN's lack of promotion of the league. It's hard to pay high salaries without a large and steady stream of revenue. I too wish the CFL salary cap would be raised, perhaps to double the current amount. Zach Collaros, the CFL's top earning player, ought to be earning $550K USD ($730K CAD) not $550CAD. I don't see CFL players earning 7 figure salaries anytime soon but an increase in the number of 6 figure salary earners and more importantly, a raise in the minimum salary would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2023, 01:23 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
CFL is popular in the prairies, especially in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Lots of die hard Ti-Cats fans in Hamilton/Niagara too. The other cities have their fans too, I think it’s probably a closer situation to how hockey is South of the border and outside the original 6 cities. Still has fans, just a smaller number. Toronto’s #2 and 3 sports have been basketball and baseball for decades now, but it’s a different story in other parts of the country.

Old 06-18-2023, 01:34 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
There was a long debate in another forum, which I cannot share here due to CDF rules that discussed about the CFL's finances and TSN's lack of promotion of the league. It's hard to pay high salaries without a large and steady stream of revenue. I too wish the CFL salary cap would be raised, perhaps to double the current amount. Zach Collaros, the CFL's top earning player, ought to be earning $550K USD ($730K CAD) not $550CAD. I don't see CFL players earning 7 figure salaries anytime soon but an increase in the number of 6 figure salary earners and more importantly, a raise in the minimum salary would be helpful.
It is ridiculous how much NFL players make though. Insane and way over the top. 500K CAD or USD is A LOT of money. Play 10 years and that is more than enough to retire for a normal person. Same thing with MLB, NBA and NHL etc. How much is it now for a decent ticket to a Leafs game for example - to line the pockets of guys making 100's of times (and their billionaire club owners) what 99 percent of the fanbase makes.

Old 06-18-2023, 03:37 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
It is ridiculous how much NFL players make though. Insane and way over the top. 500K CAD or USD is A LOT of money. Play 10 years and that is more than enough to retire for a normal person. Same thing with MLB, NBA and NHL etc. How much is it now for a decent ticket to a Leafs game for example - to line the pockets of guys making 100's of times (and their billionaire club owners) what 99 percent of the fanbase makes.
That I can agree with. I realise a lot of people are sports fans, and I realise that athletic ability is special and that it's obviously not a career that continues through to 65. But I can't bring myself to think of sports as worthy of the attention and the wages paid to it. It's obscene.

Old 06-23-2023, 06:43 AM

56 posts, read 23,097 times
The talent level is just not there and they have to have a certain amount of Canadians on the team. They smoother the talent level to keep Canadians on the team ruining the product.There is no other pro sport that does this.I haven't watched a game in 30 years.I follow the NFL with my favourite team where the real talent is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada