Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 10:55 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,298,702 times

Advertisements

I am too polite. I'm sorry, but f' you.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:19 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You seem just slightly obsessed over this and have even taken to duplicating your posts almost word for word on this issue. This was your post #118 in the other thread of 'Canadian's being meanies':

Yeah. Looks like a very personal problem, and seem to have nothing to do with Canadians
Do people stare alot in Toronto?
Name a city that you find people who stare alot?
Male 21 looking for a girlfriend.
Making friends in adult school vs highschool in Toronto
Do Americans still think Canadians are Friendly?

That's an option ... you will be surrounded by PC and fake smiles
Not sure if dating will be any better, though. Just have a glance at our Relationship Forum.

Thinking about moving to US from Canada?

Old 07-29-2016, 12:57 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
Rockstar, I hate ganging up on a chat board, and I hope you don't see my post that way. I do mean what I am about to say in a kind way.

Re-read your personal ad and try to look at it from the point of a potential girlfriend. You list everything you want in a relationship and don't offer a single thing in return. That would be a big turn off to anyone reading the ad. A relationship is a two way street.

I suspect you would benefit from counselling. I don't like to see anyone unhappy.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:31 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You seem just slightly obsessed over this and have even taken to duplicating your posts almost word for word on this issue. This was your post #118 in the other thread of 'Canadian's being meanies':

"Canadians are not friendly like you think they are so you have to live here and get used to what they really are like, Canadians are no better, or worse than anyone else in the world. I don't believe in the myth of the "polite Canadian." They're as rude and self centered as anyone else." Exactly the same wording as this new topic you've just created.

And here once again you inject the Americans as the comparator model. Might I ask why that is when Canadian's rightly or wrongly, are perceived by the whole world as being polite. Is it just Americans being unmentioned in the same sentences as the words "nice" and "friendly" you are worried about.

Was that thread not complete enough in its coverage on the issue that you needed to re-invigorate the horse for another beating? Would it not seem wise that instead of creating yet another thread that will serve only to perpetuate the meme further that perhaps letting the already existing thread deal with this issue as it was specifically started by an unhappy semi you seem obsessed with comparing yourself to.
It's definitely a deja vu moment!

Canadians are so mosaically-challenged that they don't know what to do to be perceived as polite anymore, so they simply say "sorry" all the time.

"Once you learn how to properly say ‘I’m sorry,’ you will no longer be trying to become Canadian, you will have rewired your brain to such a degree that you will actually be Canadian

It might be more reflexive for Canadians to apologize,” Ms. Schumann said. “But my sense is that this stems from a culture of being polite rather than from being passive-aggressive, and this politeness is generally a positive thing. As a Canadian living in California, I can say that the people here think very highly of Canadians, and seem to admire how polite we are.”

The use and abuse of 'sorry': Americans do not say it, the British do not mean it and Canadians overdo it | National Post

https://uwspace.uwaterloo.ca/bitstre...pdf?sequence=1

Old 07-31-2016, 03:06 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
It might be more reflexive for Canadians to apologize,” Ms. Schumann said. “But my sense is that this stems from a culture of being polite rather than from being passive-aggressive, and this politeness is generally a positive thing. As a Canadian living in California, I can say that the people here think very highly of Canadians, and seem to admire how polite we are.”
Interesting. If that is generally so, why don't more Californians try to emulate Canada's courtesy?

Old 07-31-2016, 06:15 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,454,397 times
Canadians being polite..........

I think it goes back to the days when we were more small town people, where the winters could actually kill you if you weren't properly prepared, and community groups looked out for each other.

In the modern day...strangers will stop and help someone who needs it.

A for instance. As a social experiment , a person who was carrying a large number of office files, dropped them at the entrance to a Canadian office building........around 8 out of 10 people who were also going through that entrance....stopped to help pick the papers up.

In a second experiment, a person walking down the street in a Canadian city, drops a cell phone and walks away. The passersby in the vast majority, picked up the phone and caught up to the person who dropped it, and gave it back to them. In the same experiment, carried out in other cities around the world, the percentage was much lower, and many people actually kept the phone, and kept walking.

Jim B.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Interesting. If that is generally so, why don't more Californians try to emulate Canada's courtesy?
Perhaps they are conscientiously preserving their US culture?

Old 07-31-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Canadians being polite..........

I think it goes back to the days when we were more small town people, where the winters could actually kill you if you weren't properly prepared, and community groups looked out for each other.

In the modern day...strangers will stop and help someone who needs it.

A for instance. As a social experiment , a person who was carrying a large number of office files, dropped them at the entrance to a Canadian office building........around 8 out of 10 people who were also going through that entrance....stopped to help pick the papers up.

In a second experiment, a person walking down the street in a Canadian city, drops a cell phone and walks away. The passersby in the vast majority, picked up the phone and caught up to the person who dropped it, and gave it back to them. In the same experiment, carried out in other cities around the world, the percentage was much lower, and many people actually kept the phone, and kept walking.

Jim B.
I saw something about that but it involved money. The results were when someone dropped a $20 on a busy street, the person who picked it up was very motivated to return it to the correct owner, however when the $20 was dropped on a street with only one other person (no witnesses), the person who picked up the $20 was more inclined to keep it.

All that really proved is that people are opportunists, and are more inclined to commit a crime if they believe they will get away with it.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:35 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I saw something about that but it involved money. The results were when someone dropped a $20 on a busy street, the person who picked it up was very motivated to return it to the correct owner, however when the $20 was dropped on a street with only one other person (no witnesses), the person who picked up the $20 was more inclined to keep it.

All that really proved is that people are opportunists, and are more inclined to commit a crime if they believe they will get away with it.
Had a bit of fun the other day at a golf course with my discovering a Garmin Wrist GPS on the apron of the tenth hole. As we continued play we had the opportunity to get within speaking distance of the foursome ahead of us and I asked cordially if anyone had perhaps "forgotten" something; after a flurry of checking pockets and cup-holders I saw one guy look at his left wrist and I knew the Garmin had reconnected with it's owner. He had removed it to putt out and in putting his glove back on had inadvertently pulled it out of his pocket.

Over years of golfing, I've probably returned more than fifty items left behind near greens.

My most memorable moment was doing some evening banking and after getting out of my car seeing a zippered bag laying beside the vehicle behind mine and remembered seeing the gentleman walking towards the same bank getting out of that car.

Picked it up and stepped up my pace to catch him as he was entering the bank. I knew he had dropped it so merely waved it at him while telling him "you dropped this" . That guy almost went into a state of shock as the contents represented the majority of his weeks business intake. The poor guy had tears in his eyes thanking me so loudly in the bank that everybody overhearing him caused me embarrassment for suddenly becoming the center of attention to all the customers and tellers; couldn't get out of there fast enough!

Old 08-01-2016, 09:46 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,280,738 times
Several years ago, after riding the ferry from WA to Alaska and spending 3 months with the decent, but socially reserved people I found in AK I drove home. Starting in Dawson City it was wonderful and the people were effusively nice, which is familiar to me and similar to the way people are in NM. All the way to Calgary I ran across people that bent over backwards to be helpful and friendly. I loved it and I was left with very fond feelings for Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.