Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 10:28 PM

298 posts, read 276,984 times

Advertisements

I always get told that how people in Canada must be super-polite and nice people from people that I know over-seas but that is not so true, Canadians are not friendly like you think they are so you have to live here and get used to what they really are like, Canadians are no better, or worse than anyone else in the world. I don't believe in the myth of the "polite Canadian." They're as rude or nice as anyone else. This is not a rant, this is to let you know to not be confused to thinking that being polite is being friendly. The reputation of all Canadians being friendly or nice people seems to be vague, were not that friendly or polite either, this image epitomizes Canadians. We are more polite than average, but we're also the most passive-aggressive people to ever come across. We act more polite, but are still just as mean. It's just expressed in a different way from Americans, Most of us avoid confrontation at all costs (Quebecers excepted). If we disapprove of something we won't say or do anything at the time. Afterwards we will discuss among ourselves how bad/rude/horrible it was and be very judgmental about it. We will retell the story to everyone we know and they will probably tell everyone they know, so we're passive-aggressive It's much more fun than the in-your-face style. However, Canada is a beautiful country and there are some friendly and nice people, just not all of us. Although, I've yet to meet a nice Canadian. Instead some of us seem to be highly opinionated and in a bad mood every day.

Last edited by Rockstar21; 07-23-2016 at 10:46 PM..

Old 07-23-2016, 11:33 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Just so you know, Canadians weren't the ones who started up that stereotype about polite Canadians.

To the best of my understanding it got started round a century ago by another country about timid Canadians not being aggressive enough, of being rather cowardly whoosies by comparison with that other country. Then when that was indisputably proven to be not true and it became evident that Canadians punch above their weight when required (i.e. WW1 and WW2), from there it gradually developed into the stereotype of Canadians being polite and quiet mannered.

I wouldn't say Canadians are more or less polite than anyone else in the western world but I do think most Canadians keep their cool and aren't quite as brash and ignorant and loud-mouthed as some other non-Canadian people are when they do speak their minds.

I don't care if other people want to believe that Canadians are polite. I can think of a lot of much worse things to have a reputation for.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:10 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
You seem just slightly obsessed over this and have even taken to duplicating your posts almost word for word on this issue. This was your post #118 in the other thread of 'Canadian's being meanies':

"Canadians are not friendly like you think they are so you have to live here and get used to what they really are like, Canadians are no better, or worse than anyone else in the world. I don't believe in the myth of the "polite Canadian." They're as rude and self centered as anyone else." Exactly the same wording as this new topic you've just created.

And here once again you inject the Americans as the comparator model. Might I ask why that is when Canadian's rightly or wrongly, are perceived by the whole world as being polite. Is it just Americans being unmentioned in the same sentences as the words "nice" and "friendly" you are worried about.

Was that thread not complete enough in its coverage on the issue that you needed to re-invigorate the horse for another beating? Would it not seem wise that instead of creating yet another thread that will serve only to perpetuate the meme further that perhaps letting the already existing thread deal with this issue as it was specifically started by an unhappy semi you seem obsessed with comparing yourself to.

Last edited by BruSan; 07-24-2016 at 06:22 AM..

Old 07-24-2016, 09:27 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,510,858 times
"Most of us avoid confrontation at all costs (Quebecers excepted)"

Old 07-29-2016, 02:51 AM

298 posts, read 276,984 times
I just think most of us Canadians are a bit too insecure and always need some type of motivation to actually step up and take advantage of the many outdoor places where people can socialize and meet new people because i also find Canada to be a tough place to meet new people and make friends.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:52 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,930 times
I thought it was Americans calling you so polite because you have basic manners in public which they don't. (saying sorry)

Old 07-29-2016, 07:00 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
I just think most of us Canadians are a bit too insecure and always need some type of motivation to actually step up and take advantage of the many outdoor places where people can socialize and meet new people because i also find Canada to be a tough place to meet new people and make friends.
Of course you do.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
Sounds like some one is having trouble getting laid and apparently thats the fault of all Canadians..Keep trying Rock,it'll happen.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:35 AM

800 posts, read 730,881 times
I think you mean engaging. Canadians are very polite even if you anger them. I notice Americans are definitely not as polite. If I must generalize I say most Americans are a lot more direct which can be rude. And Canadians are much more indirect which can be seen as polite.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:47 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,230,444 times
In what other country besides Canada do citizens say sorry when they are the ones that are bumped in to? Almost always will both parties say sorry, regardless of who's actually at fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.