Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:26 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Just so you know, Canadians weren't the ones who started up that stereotype about polite Canadians.

To the best of my understanding it got started round a century ago by another country about timid Canadians not being aggressive enough, of being rather cowardly whoosies by comparison with that other country. Then when that was indisputably proven to be not true and it became evident that Canadians punch above their weight when required (i.e. WW1 and WW2), from there it gradually developed into the stereotype of Canadians being polite and quiet mannered.

I wouldn't say Canadians are more or less polite than anyone else in the western world but I do think most Canadians keep their cool and aren't quite as brash and ignorant and loud-mouthed as some other non-Canadian people are when they do speak their minds.

I don't care if other people want to believe that Canadians are polite. I can think of a lot of much worse things to have a reputation for.

I don't think it has as much to do with America viewing Canadians as "timid". Where did you get that from? I think it has more to do with the last 50 years and Canada playing a very important role in peacekeeping and humanitarian crisis around the world. Do you have any sources or research showing America in general viewed Canadians as timid in 1916?

Old 08-01-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You seem just slightly obsessed over this and have even taken to duplicating your posts almost word for word on this issue. This was your post #118 in the other thread of 'Canadian's being meanies':

"Canadians are not friendly like you think they are so you have to live here and get used to what they really are like, Canadians are no better, or worse than anyone else in the world. I don't believe in the myth of the "polite Canadian." They're as rude and self centered as anyone else." Exactly the same wording as this new topic you've just created.

And here once again you inject the Americans as the comparator model. Might I ask why that is when Canadian's rightly or wrongly, are perceived by the whole world as being polite. Is it just Americans being unmentioned in the same sentences as the words "nice" and "friendly" you are worried about.

Was that thread not complete enough in its coverage on the issue that you needed to re-invigorate the horse for another beating? Would it not seem wise that instead of creating yet another thread that will serve only to perpetuate the meme further that perhaps letting the already existing thread deal with this issue as it was specifically started by an unhappy semi you seem obsessed with comparing yourself to.

Isn't that poster Canadian? What does this have to do with us?

Old 08-01-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
I thought it was Americans calling you so polite because you have basic manners in public which they don't. (saying sorry)

Right, all 300M of us are horrible unpolite people.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:40 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Isn't that poster Canadian? What does this have to do with us?
Which was my EXACT question to the poster.

Seemed strange to me they immediately rushed to bring the U.S. as a comparator into the discussion.

I became really suspicious after reading the poster's later offering to wit:

"I just think most of us Canadians are a bit too insecure and always need some type of motivation to actually step up and take advantage of the many outdoor places where people can socialize and meet new people because i also find Canada to be a tough place to meet new people and make friends."

As the above is a popular meme usually fostered by OTHERS, I kinda thought injecting the U.S. into the discussion was for the usual stuff of stirring a pot. I'm tempted to believe the poster is about as Canadian as Mickey Mouse.

We used to get a lot of this nonsense over in the Toronto section about how difficult it was to get hooked up and the primary poster was a Russian with other ethnic varieties chiming in.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:24 PM

295 posts, read 264,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

We used to get a lot of this nonsense over in the Toronto section about how difficult it was to get hooked up and the primary poster was a Russian with other ethnic varieties chiming in.
Isn't Toronto a place for celebrating diversity and multiculturalism? Aren't Russians part of it?

Old 08-01-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Isn't Toronto a place for celebrating diversity and multiculturalism? Aren't Russians part of it?
Of course they are, if they want to be. Read my post again if you're still confused.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:00 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I don't think it has as much to do with America viewing Canadians as "timid". Where did you get that from? I think it has more to do with the last 50 years and Canada playing a very important role in peacekeeping and humanitarian crisis around the world. Do you have any sources or research showing America in general viewed Canadians as timid in 1916?
Where did I say anything about America or about 1916? Where did YOU get THAT from?

No specific date nor any country other than Canada was mentioned by name and I'm not going to do that now either. It isn't important.

You shouldn't automatically assume that America is the only possible country that it could be that would make snipey remarks about Canada.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:13 AM

529 posts, read 508,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
I thought it was Americans calling you so polite because you have basic manners in public which they don't. (saying sorry)
Canadians are so silly about this though. They will say sorry when it's not their fault or when they do not even make contact. It's like even an implied slight or accident prompts a sorry. I get it. People don't want to cheese off the wrong person, and are just brought up to apologize A.S.A.P. Still, I find it absolutely grating. I often make a point by responding and asking the person" "Hey, why did you apologize? It wasn't your fault and I did not expect any kind of apology." They in turn respond with a perplexed look and go about their business.

Incidentally, I think a "cultural" conditioned to apologize at the drop of a hat is probably quite vindictive and passive aggressive elsewhere. Where an American would express their displeasure immediately, the Canadian will let their rage twine away waiting for their moment. Maybe it's because of the immigrants who flood to Canada...and especially Montreal...

Old 08-02-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
Canadians are so silly about this though. They will say sorry when it's not their fault or when they do not even make contact. It's like even an implied slight or accident prompts a sorry. I get it. People don't want to cheese off the wrong person, and are just brought up to apologize A.S.A.P. Still, I find it absolutely grating. I often make a point by responding and asking the person" "Hey, why did you apologize? It wasn't your fault and I did not expect any kind of apology." They in turn respond with a perplexed look and go about their business.

Incidentally, I think a "cultural" conditioned to apologize at the drop of a hat is probably quite vindictive and passive aggressive elsewhere. Where an American would express their displeasure immediately, the Canadian will let their rage twine away waiting for their moment. Maybe it's because of the immigrants who flood to Canada...and especially Montreal...
You don't get it at all! The "I'm sorry" is not because we are afraid we have, or are about to, "cheese somebody off". It's because that is the way the bulk of Canadians were brought up; to be polite.

The fact you find it "grating" and your response to someone who has apologized is "quite vindictive and passive aggressive"; howkum you think it's necessary to be confrontational over someone saying I'm sorry?

This has nothing whatsoever to do with immigrants "flooding" any part of Canada as this reputation goes back further than the years you've been wearing long pants.

We'll keep it up as long as possible and won't shive-a-git about who likes it or doesn't like it. People getting cheesed over an apology have the problem; not the other way around.

It's obvious to me you haven't paid much attention while either living in, or visiting the U.S. because I've witnessed just as many "sorries", "excuse me's", "pardon me's", and just plain old "you're fine" whenever an "I'm sorry" would have been appropriate.

I'm sorry.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:57 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post

.... They will say sorry when it's not their fault or when they do not even make contact. It's like even an implied slight or accident prompts a sorry....... Still, I find it absolutely grating. ......
I'm so very, very sorry you feel that way about it.

....... but what the hey, your lack of anger management is your problem, not ours ...... so don't expect everyone else to change their engrained habits for you. You may as well get used to Canadians saying "Sorry" when you get in their faces.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada