Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 07:06 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,748,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Due to progressivism, the US threw out its old immigration system because they claimed that it unfairly favored Europeans. Instead we went to a system of familial ties. Yet another example of disastrous liberal ideology screwing things up.
they essentially replaced one stupid system with another stupid one.

immigration should be based on personal merits (which determines one's chance of success and contribution to the US economy), not race, not "ties". The current system is probably even worse than the race based one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
the US is now, unfortunately regressive, protectionist and in a downward spiral because of their broken system of government and especially their embarrassing, childish and extremely narcissistic "president" and the exceedingly ultra conservative and overly religious Republican Party.

Yes, there are still so many great things going on in America, and there are so many well meaning, good citizens doing amazing things, but it's still not enough to counter all of the destabilizing that has been going on. It's a complete shame, as I love the US, and being from Windsor, Detroit is like my second home! But, being Canadian, everything going on in the US right now horrifies me, and goes against almost all of my beliefs of what a successful country is!

Much of the western world now looks at it with pity and disgust, and no longer as a beacon of freedom and hope that it has always been for so long! It is now the butt of jokes across the globe! What a spectacular fall from grace in such a short period of time! I feel so sorry for all of the progressive, liberal Americans who are now being held hostage in such a toxic, and unstable environment! Beware the powers of the uneducated and easily manipulated "middle America", as they have proven that they can be herded to vote a certain way with as little as a simple , stupid slogan like "make America great again"!
You romanticized the pre-Trump USA.

Protectionist. It didn't start with Trump, did it? The US was very protectionist and had one of world's highest trade barrier even under Obama. The EU is the same - they have free trade within member states, but have very high trade barrier with the rest of the world.

The US as a "beacon of freedom"? Yeah, that's probably why they overthrew a democratically elected Iranian president and replaced him with a Czar, or why they are best friends with Saudi Arabia, the country with least freedom in the world sell billions worth of weapons to keep Kings in place for decades? Beacon of freedom my a$$.

TRUMP is doing all sorts of stupid things, but he is not making the US that much worse. In fact, he is largely in line with most US presidents. "Make America great again" is NOT the first slogan about protectionism. Remember "Buy American"?

Speaking of parties, the democratic party is not one iota better than the GOP, yet they themselves and people like you still pretend they are.

Last edited by botticelli; 06-27-2017 at 07:58 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 07:39 AM

1,806 posts, read 2,236,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You romanticized the pre-Trump USA.

Protectionist. It didn't start with Trump, did it? The US was very protectionist and had one of world's highest trade barrier under under Obama. The EU is the same - they have free trade within member states, but have very high trade barrier with the rest of the world.

The US as a "beacon of freedom"? Yeah, that's probably why they overthrown democratically elected Iranian president and replaced him with a Czar, or why they are best friends with Saudi Arabia, the country with least freedom in the world, for decades? Beacon of freedom my a$$.

TRUMP is doing all sorts of stupid things, but he is not making the US that much worse. In fact, he is largely in line with most US presidents. "Make America great again" is NOT the first slogan about protectionism. Remember "Buy American"?

Speaking of parties, the democratic party is not one iota better than the GOP, yet they themselves and people like you still pretend they are.
Oh, I acknowledge that the pre Trump era had its problems and was moving in that same general direction of protectionism and ultra conservatism, but there were still some very progressive and good changes happening, especially under Obama.

The Democratic Party is far superior to the Republican Party, and I feel they have more compassion for all American citizens, and are more enlightened as well, but it too is mired in partisan politics unfortunately, but still not nearly to the extremes of the Republicans.

I disagree with you about Trump though, he has divided the country in a way that has never happened before, pitting family member against family member and just causing great dissatisfaction and mass chaos across the country. He is destroying the environment, by gutting funding to protect it, so that he can funnel these funds into own narcissistic power play to increase military spending even more than it is.
The man has also basically alienated almost all of it's allies around the world, and has berated and insulted many of their leaders as well. This does not help America in any way, and it has begun to destabilize much of the western world!
My husband was born and raised in Detroit, and has the same views as I do, it's not just Canadians who are horrified by what is happening down there, it's also a huge chunk of the US population itself!

Old 06-27-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Oh, I acknowledge that the pre Trump era had its problems and was moving in that same general direction of protectionism and ultra conservatism, but there were still some very progressive and good changes happening, especially under Obama.

The Democratic Party is far superior to the Republican Party, and I feel they have more compassion for all American citizens, and are more enlightened as well, but it too is mired in partisan politics unfortunately, but still not nearly to the extremes of the Republicans.

I disagree with you about Trump though, he has divided the country in a way that has never happened before, pitting family member against family member and just causing great dissatisfaction and mass chaos across the country. He is destroying the environment, by gutting funding to protect it, so that he can funnel these funds into own narcissistic power play to increase military spending even more than it is.
The man has also basically alienated almost all of it's allies around the world, and has berated and insulted many of their leaders as well. This does not help America in any way, and it has begun to destabilize much of the western world!
My husband was born and raised in Detroit, and has the same views as I do, it's not just Canadians who are horrified by what is happening down there, it's also a huge chunk of the US population itself!
Well, isn't it Clinton who started this whole subprime crisis and isn't it Obama who bailed out all the big banks on taxpayers' back? If the democrats were so superior, how come not even a single bank was punished for the mess they created for the American people?

I dont think the democrats care more about average people than the GOP. They are essentially the same, just with different tactics to win votes.

Obama is widely adored world wide - I just feel pity for these people's low intellect and lack of judgement. He did some symbolic movements, but hardly improved America's real problem, nor was he intend to do. The income gap between the rich and poor is bigger than ever, and racial tension was the highest in a long time. And people are stupid to think he is the "first black president". He may be half black but he belongs to the same elite class as George Bush.

I am sick of this Trump dividing people claim. Who the hell is he dividing? Illegals vs legal residents of the US? I am fully on board. Muslims? I never hear him saying anything bad about Muslim American. His travel ban is stupid of course, but only a stupid person would interpret that as dividing people. Plus, since when the US was united?

It was dumb to leave the Paris agreement, however, let's not pretend Obama is any better. He might be all environmentalist in face, but it didn't pretend him from investing massive amount of money in dirty fossile fuel in other parts of the world (Africa for example). The Guardian had an article on that. Sorry, Obama serves the big oil companies like all American presidents do, regardless of party.

And Obama (and Clinton) is the reason the middle east is such a hot mess and terrorism runs rampant. I shall not repeat the reason any more. Yet a bunch of clueless Americans still insist "Assad has to go! Assad has to go". Insufferable stupidity.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:37 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,180,259 times
Quote:
And Obama (and Clinton) is the reason the middle east is such a hot mess and terrorism runs rampant.
The current chaos and disorder in the middle east are the result of economic, political, and societal issues that run far back before Obama, Clinton, Bush, even Reagan. It's somewhat naive to believe that a single American president can change or influence the course of history for an entire region.

Middle Eastern states like Syria, Egypt, and Libya used to be client states of USSR and/or America for nearly 40 years during Cold War. When the Cold War super-power structure ended in 1991, these "client states" also lost their largest political and military patrons, and quickly descended into chaos (similar to the fate of many African states that saw societal collapse after the colonial powers left post-WW2).

Quote:
I shall not repeat the reason any more. Yet a bunch of clueless Americans still insist "Assad has to go! Assad has to go". Insufferable stupidity.
I don't think it's wrong to say that Assad has to go. However, it is naive and short-sighted to force Assad out and have no plans to fill the power vacuum in the post-Assad world. Iraq, Libya, and Egypt are perfect examples of entire nations collapse overnight due to a lack of political unity, economic poverty, and religious extremism, and simple belief that "liberty" would prevail - when in reality, Egypt was quickly taken over by a military dictatorship while Iraq went the way of ISIS.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:54 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,317,332 times
Compared to "progressive" Canada, "regressive" United States had a minority president, higher percentage of women in power (politics and business), immigrants that have a higher probability of success, several states where pot is already legal......

It still amazes me how people even living so close to the US (Canadians) fail to realize how diverse the United States is as a country.

Furthermore, it is interesting that some individual liberties are considered "regressive"......why legal gun ownership is regressive instead of progressive?? Who or what make it so?? Why "trust in government" is more progressive??

Last edited by saturno_v; 06-27-2017 at 09:27 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 08:56 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,834,786 times
A lot of Canada's "progressivism" was imposed on them by their Supreme Court. Abortion, same-sex pseudomarriage and assisted suicide being three examples.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:00 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,525,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
The current chaos and disorder in the middle east are the result of economic, political, and societal issues that run far back before Obama, Clinton, Bush, even Reagan. It's somewhat naive to believe that a single American president can change or influence the course of history for an entire region.

Middle Eastern states like Syria, Egypt, and Libya used to be client states of USSR and/or America for nearly 40 years during Cold War. When the Cold War super-power structure ended in 1991, these "client states" also lost their largest political and military patrons, and quickly descended into chaos (similar to the fate of many African states that saw societal collapse after the colonial powers left post-WW2).

I don't think it's wrong to say that Assad has to go. However, it is naive and short-sighted to force Assad out and have no plans to fill the power vacuum in the post-Assad world. Iraq, Libya, and Egypt are perfect examples of entire nations collapse overnight due to a lack of political unity, economic poverty, and religious extremism, and simple belief that "liberty" would prevail - when in reality, Egypt was quickly taken over by a military dictatorship while Iraq went the way of ISIS.

Given the history of all of the regions the U.S. is currently exerting influence over, I don't see how anyone other than Nostradamus could format a policy plan having any relevance to a predictable future outcome.

'Damned if you do' and 'damned if you don't' seems the primary operative consideration in today's geopolitics.

Changing administration for one that throws the rule book out the window and seems to throw out any access to experienced information and which seems to base every foreign policy decision on the optics of the moment rather than the relevant and best long term viewpoint seems unwise.......but......who can say, given the results of so many other more studied attempts made.

All eyes are on the U.S. right now and I would bet the farm that more than one country's leadership is breathing a contracted sigh of relief at that situation.

Last edited by BruSan; 06-27-2017 at 09:20 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
A lot of Canada's "progressivism" was imposed on them by their Supreme Court. Abortion, same-sex pseudomarriage and assisted suicide being three examples.
It is the in every country.

I support all three, all great changes. I don't remember assisted suicide is legal in Canada though. It should be.

General princinple is to give people choices if they want to (and ignoring all the stupid religious reasons), gays, women, people suffering from terminal disease. A real progressive country will treat the bible as nothing but fiction like Harry Porter.

If I get my way, I will abolish the whole institution of marriage completely because it is utterly meaningless. And there will be such a day somewhere.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:59 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,120,109 times
Quote:
. I don't remember assisted suicide is legal in Canada though. It should be.

It kind of is and kind of isn't. Definitely mong in that direction, though. But not as fast as some thought it would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada