Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 08:19 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Is this a problem? Is it a bigger problem than not having enough doctors and nurses?

When my husband was in the hospital so many times, the nurses, almost without exception were Filipino. And they were so patient and kind, far more so than Canadian-born nurses.

My SIL just spent 2 months in another hospital here, and she says the same. She has a Masters in nursing.

A sister and two nieces are RNs. Haven't heard any complaints from them.

We have a large Filipino population here so it makes sense to have a sign in Tagalog. More locally signs in Ukrainian have been appearing recently. It's already the norm for signs in French, English, German and Russian.
I think there is much potential for a middle ground between greatly appreciating the critical work done by caregivers of all origins, and questioning whether Canada is doing as well as it should or was when it comes to integrating newcomers.

BTW, effective full integration into Canadian society is very much in the interest of newcomers as well, even though its importance has been greatly downplayed of late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 12:06 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think there is much potential for a middle ground between greatly appreciating the critical work done by caregivers of all origins, and questioning whether Canada is doing as well as it should or was when it comes to integrating newcomers.

BTW, effective full integration into Canadian society is very much in the interest of newcomers as well, even though its importance has been greatly downplayed of late.
As long as integration isn't a synonym for assimilation, I agree with that as well. If they are working, and obeying Canadian law, they are interacting with Canadians, they are integrating.

Old 04-12-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
As long as integration isn't a synonym for assimilation, I agree with that as well. If they are working, and obeying Canadian law, they are interacting with Canadians, they are integrating.
This is fairly close to the "Canada as a hotel more than a country" approach which is what most Canadians want, or at least are most comfortable with in order to feel good about themselves.

Like any approach it has its good sides and bad sides.

Canada's population has been diverse for quite some time, even well before multiculturalism became a thing in the 1970s.

I think a case can be made that we're becoming more atomized and siloed as a society, and it's not just because of federal government multiculturalism policies though of course they do play a role. There are also powerful global trends at play like technology networks and the ease of overseas travel that mean that people have often remained a lot more connected with the old country and become less connected with the place they actually live in.

Even places with way older and stronger cultures than Canada are seeing this.

Old 04-12-2024, 03:05 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Are there Chinese- or Punjabi-language movies produced in Canada?

Old 04-12-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
This is fairly close to the "Canada as a hotel more than a country" approach which is what most Canadians want, or at least are most comfortable with in order to feel good about themselves.

Like any approach it has its good sides and bad sides.

Canada's population has been diverse for quite some time, even well before multiculturalism became a thing in the 1970s.

I think a case can be made that we're becoming more atomized and siloed as a society, and it's not just because of federal government multiculturalism policies though of course they do play a role. There are also powerful global trends at play like technology networks and the ease of overseas travel that mean that people have often remained a lot more connected with the old country and become less connected with the place they actually live in.

Even places with way older and stronger cultures than Canada are seeing this.

I completely disagree with you. None of that has been my experience so it might be a regional thing. I still find that "English" Canadians see me as "ethnic" and get uncomfortable at any display of that ethnicity and your views on assimilation remind me of that whereas that is not what I hear from local francophones.

This subject came up in a course I was taking, as in casual conversations with francophones in the course. They see it very differently and feel a connection with "ethnic" types, which they don't seem to feel with "English Canadian" types. And they don't feel it with Quebecers whom they believe minimize French communities here in Manitoba.

There is enough Canadian culture without it needing immigrants erasing their history. I happened across this opinion piece on France today https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...on-intolerance

Old 04-12-2024, 05:23 PM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
I completely disagree with you. None of that has been my experience so it might be a regional thing. I still find that "English" Canadians see me as "ethnic" and get uncomfortable at any display of that ethnicity and your views on assimilation remind me of that whereas that is not what I hear from local francophones.

This subject came up in a course I was taking, as in casual conversations with francophones in the course. They see it very differently and feel a connection with "ethnic" types, which they don't seem to feel with "English Canadian" types. And they don't feel it with Quebecers whom they believe minimize French communities here in Manitoba.

There is enough Canadian culture without it needing immigrants erasing their history. I happened across this opinion piece on France today https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...on-intolerance
I know several teachers in southern Manitoba in the Morden, Winkler and Steinbach areas. Something they mentioned to me is certain students segregate themselves from others based on heritage and language. They can also be very religious. It's not that others are uncomfortable with them, they chose to segrate themselves and often look down on other students. This is not a criticism, just an observation.

Old 04-12-2024, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
I know several teachers in southern Manitoba in the Morden, Winkler and Steinbach areas. Something they mentioned to me is certain students segregate themselves from others based on heritage and language. They can also be very religious. It's not that others are uncomfortable with them, they chose to segrate themselves and often look down on other students. This is not a criticism, just an observation.
I wouldn't disagree with that.

Old 04-13-2024, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Mme Diallo is the darling of certain progressives (especially in anglo countries) but she is known for saying racist things about the white French so not exactly an example to follow.

As for Mennonnites being "othered" at least part of that is due to self-segregation they have practiced since they first arrived in the country 150 years ago.

Other groups with similar lengths of time in the country like Ukrainians on the Prairies, Germans in SW Ontario or even Lebanese in PEI are seen as Canadians like any others by everyone in their communities these days.

BTW I am not originally from Québec and my cultural background, upbringing and socialization is more similar to that of Franco-Manitobans than of the average Québécois.

Old 04-13-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Mme Diallo is the darling of certain progressives (especially in anglo countries) but she is known for saying racist things about the white French so not exactly an example to follow.

As for Mennonnites being "othered" at least part of that is due to self-segregation they have practiced since they first arrived in the country 150 years ago.

Other groups with similar lengths of time in the country like Ukrainians on the Prairies, Germans in SW Ontario or even Lebanese in PEI are seen as Canadians like any others by everyone in their communities these days.

BTW I am not originally from Québec and my cultural background, upbringing and socialization is more similar to that of Franco-Manitobans than of the average Québécois.
I had never heard of Mme Diallo, or, her name hadn't stuck in my head over whatever I might have read. I just read the Wikipedia article - so what is racist about her?

I remember that you're not originally from Quebec but you do seem to have thrown your lot in with Quebec viewpoints.

I'll try to respond later to the rest of your post.

Old 04-13-2024, 12:18 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:

“Diallo” is a common surname among people from the former French colonies in west Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada