Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 12:01 PM

780 posts, read 507,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Where do I sign up for an interest-free loan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 12:34 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Here is a Mennonite lender in Ontario https://canadianmennonite.org/articl...al-institution

There is nothing that stops Christians from organizing a credit union for better rates except Christians. Unfortunately we have that love of money Jesus condemned.

Why are you focusing on the big banks?
Well they do control 80-90% of the mortgage market in this country.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:49 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well they do control 80-90% of the mortgage market in this country.
But is the point to look at other people and what they have successfully got others to pay attention to or is it about affordable rates? In which case, if there is a will, it would happen.

When Mennonites moved to Russia or later to Canada the first things they did was set up fire insurance companies (my insurance was with Mennonite Mutual until they were bought out by Red River Mutual), and organizations for loans (became credit unions), and a service for orphans and widows.

My mortgage was not with a big bank.

So there's nothing stopping Christians from setting up a Christian bank other than there aren't many Christians who actually believe in Christianity any more. The Vatican has a bank.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:51 PM

1,227 posts, read 501,182 times
Quote:
Here is a Mennonite lender in Ontario https://canadianmennonite.org/articl...al-institution

There is nothing that stops Christians from organizing a credit union for better rates except Christians. Unfortunately we have that love of money Jesus condemned.

Why are you focusing on the big banks?
Because that is what trudeau is pushing for. That question would be better asked to trudeau.

There is also nothing stopping muslims for organizing a credit union. We don't need the federal goverment pushing for this. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Because that is what trudeau is pushing for.

There is also nothing stoping muslims for organizing a credit union. We don't need the federal goverment pushing for this. This is absolutely ridiculous.
But this doesn't affect you. As the article you linked stated, it's not cheaper.

Nothing to stop Catholics from asking for something similar. After all, in Ontario there are publically funded Catholic schools, yes?

Old 04-18-2024, 01:02 PM

Quote:
But this doesn't affect you. As the article you linked stated, it's not cheaper.
You asked why I am focusing on big banks, It is Trudeau doing that. That's why I posted the article.

It affects everyone. It's not just about what affects us personally. You are really missing the point here.

Quote:
Nothing to stop Catholics from asking for something similar. After all, in Ontario there are publically funded Catholic schools, yes?
WHy would Catholics do that though?

Ontario is a province, funding schools is not something that is mandated or pushed by the federal government. This is also not something Catholics are currently pushing for.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:04 PM

I actually don't see it as a big deal the way it's been described, though it is a very obvious example of us creeping away a bit more from the separation of church and state and secularism.

I tell ya. Religion in the public sphere - it's comin' back!

Old 04-18-2024, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I actually don't see it as a big deal the way it's been described,
!
Really? The prime minister pushing for banks to change the rules for religious groups?

Not only does this go against the secular nature of government, it reeks of woke populism.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:16 PM

I don't doubt Trudeau is showing off his wokeness.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Really? The prime minister pushing for banks to change the rules for religious groups?

Not only does this go against the secular nature of government, it reeks of woke populism.
Agreed I guess, though I don't think most Canadians (at least outside Quebec) are the slightest bit concerned about the risk of religion slowly creeping back into a position of societal power.

Believe it or not, at least part of it is because they think Christianity has little chance of regaining a powerful position.

I think they may be in for a surprise.

Last edited by Acajack; 04-18-2024 at 01:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada