Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 02:17 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times

Advertisements

I agree that Canada is being overwhelmed by mass immigration. Well, actually it's not; it's just that the vast majority of immigrants want to go to Toronto, or Montreal, or Vancouver. You want to know why housing costs are so high in those cities, that's why. They're where the immigrants want to go.

To an extent, I agree with a lecturer I heard in a guest lecture at law school: "You wanna lower housing costs in Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal? Tell immigrants that they cannot go there. They'll have to go to Kapuskasing or Red Deer or Swift Current or Kamloops, and have to spend at least five years in that location. See how many decide to come here under those conditions."

I'm curious: how many posters here come from elsewhere, and was your only goal "Toronto, Vancouver, or Montreal"? Why? And why would you not consider anything other than "Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver"?

I understand that many Canadian immigrants see Canada as a stepping stone to the United States (which it isn't), but again, why? What does the US offer you that Canada does not? (The chance to have your health claim denied is my best guess.) Why do you not want to stay in Canada, once safely and legally landed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 05:00 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,054,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I agree that Canada is being overwhelmed by mass immigration. Well, actually it's not; it's just that the vast majority of immigrants want to go to Toronto, or Montreal, or Vancouver. You want to know why housing costs are so high in those cities, that's why. They're where the immigrants want to go.

To an extent, I agree with a lecturer I heard in a guest lecture at law school: "You wanna lower housing costs in Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal? Tell immigrants that they cannot go there. They'll have to go to Kapuskasing or Red Deer or Swift Current or Kamloops, and have to spend at least five years in that location. See how many decide to come here under those conditions."

I'm curious: how many posters here come from elsewhere, and was your only goal "Toronto, Vancouver, or Montreal"? Why? And why would you not consider anything other than "Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver"?

I understand that many Canadian immigrants see Canada as a stepping stone to the United States (which it isn't), but again, why? What does the US offer you that Canada does not? (The chance to have your health claim denied is my best guess.) Why do you not want to stay in Canada, once safely and legally landed?
Good point....like that family from India that died on the Manitoba -USA border in the middle of winter,
I remember thinking..."why were they so desperate to get to the States"...Canada not good enough?
and in the middle of a Manitoba winter ....it cost them their lives....

Old 04-16-2024, 11:11 AM

1,217 posts, read 488,905 times
https://unherd.com/2023/08/trudeaus-...ration-racket/

Quote:
Canada’s cynical immigration racket Justin Trudeau has engineered a perfect storm

.....This may sound like a strange thing to say for the world’s second largest country by landmass, but most Canadians live in a handful of cities and, amid a global housing crisis, Canada ranks as among the absolute worst nations in the developed world for affordability. It has the highest household debt and, astonishingly, the lowest number of housing units per 1,000 people in the G7. Needless to say, the housing bubble has greatly reduced Canadians’ quality of life and made already pricey metropolises such as Toronto and Vancouver impossible to live in for those who are not already solidly affluent. And it shows: homelessness has exploded and sprawling tent cities are now a distressingly common sight. With circumstances as dire as this, how did policymakers in Ottawa figure it would be a good idea to welcome 1.5 million new residents by 2025?

A big part of the answer is that it’s all going according to plan. For the main overriding (if unsayable) goal of Canadian policymaking across all levels of government is to do everything possible to boost real estate values and rental prices rapidly and radically for the benefit of established homeowners and investors — and to the detriment of everyone else.

This cleavage, a primarily economic rather than a cultural or identitarian one, pits older home-owning Canadians from the Boomer and Gen X cohorts against struggling Millennials and Gen Zs; landlords against renters; long-settled immigrants against those fresh-off-the-boat: in other words, the insiders against the outsiders.

Old 04-16-2024, 04:37 PM

143 posts, read 109,788 times
You give Trudeau's gang too much credit. No deep thinking is involved. They just implement the WEF directives, worded in the severely dumbed down CA edition. (Not to be confused with the equally dumbed down but different NZ edition).

Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Trudeau government announces 'halal mortgages.' Here's what they are
The federal budget mentions the creation of halal mortgages as a means to 'enable Muslim Canadians, and other diverse communities, to further participate in the housing market'

Why are regular mortgages not considered halal?
Islamic law, or Sharia, prohibits Muslims from charging or receiving interest because they are seen as exploitative and immoral. Instead of giving loans, Islamic banks use different payment structures to avoid charging interest.

What are halal mortgages?
Sharia-compliant mortgages include payment structures that take interest out of the equation. There are three common types of halal mortgages: ijara, Musharaka, and Murabaha.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...alal-mortgages

Old Yesterday, 01:58 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
The Catholic church used to prohibit charging interest. https://blogs.loc.gov/law/2016/05/th...century-italy/

Jews are also prohibited from charging fellow Jews interest. Many traditional Mennonites still hold the same view, and in fact the Steinbach Credit Union has had the problem of what to do with interest earned on the accounts of traditional Mennonites who refuse to take interest.

The Christian church's view is based on the same verse Jews take their view from. Deuteronomy 19:19-20 "Thou shalt not lend upon usury to thy brother; usury of money, usury of of victuals, usury of anything that is lent upon usury.

"Unto a stranger thou mayest lend upon usury; but unto thy brother thou shalt not lend upon usury..."

And in the New Testament from Luke 6:34-35 "...if ye lend to them of whom you hope to receive, what thanks have ye? For sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.

"But love ye your enemies, and do good and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward will be great, and ye shall be children of the Highest...."

Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM

Yet the rest of us still have to follow the same rules when purchasing home. I don't know a single Catholic that gets a "Catholic mortgage".

Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Yet the rest of us still have to follow the same rules when purchasing home. I don't know a single Catholic that gets a "Catholic mortgage".
That's a Catholic choice though. It's become a "Christian" choice or it wouldn't be the way it is in a "Christian" world.

And it isn't that Muslims are getting a deal and not paying interest - a loan is structured in such a way so it satisfies religious requirements but it actually is more expensive than a traditional loan.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...20set%20period.

Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
That's a Catholic choice though. It's become a "Christian" choice or it wouldn't be the way it is in a "Christian" world.

And it isn't that Muslims are getting a deal and not paying interest - a loan is structured in such a way so it satisfies religious requirements but it actually is more expensive than a traditional loan.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...20set%20period.
Trying to get main stream banks to cater to a religious community is going down a slippery slope. If that's the case than every religion should be catered to in the same way. You talk about choice well people are choosing to move here. We shouldn't do things their way. There should be no room for anything sharia in the western world. Our institutions are supposed to be secular.

You posted the same article I did.

Quote:
Canada’s big banks do not currently provide halal mortgages, which the Liberal government hopes to change.

Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Trying to get main stream banks to cater to a religious community is going down a slippery slope. If that's the case than every religion should be catered to in the same way. You talk about choice well people are choosing to move here. We shouldn't do things their way. There should be no room for anything sharia in the western world. Our institutions are supposed to be secular.

You posted the same article I did.
Here is a Mennonite lender in Ontario https://canadianmennonite.org/articl...al-institution

There is nothing that stops Christians from organizing a credit union for better rates except Christians. Unfortunately we have that love of money Jesus condemned.

Why are you focusing on the big banks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada