Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2021, 07:27 AM

453 posts, read 301,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd be struggling to care for myself as he is unable to do so. Physically, now. But self-absorbed all along.

But this is not about whether he could or couldn't do it. It is about how I can.

I have no intention of leaving him. But I'm curious about something:

Is it men posting all these, "You can't dump him now. You agreed to this when you married him and now you're stuck." ?
Told ya!

They'd be OUT THE DOOR If they could afford to hire cute little young nurse-and-housekeeper types.

EDIT: I have a snowbird neighbor couple. When they arrived and the husband is sitting out on the (shared) atrium (he plants his butt there 3-4 hours per day)...he says to her "When are you going to sweep this atrium?" And she runs out with the broom and sweeps the atrium, the STEPS and the DOWNSTAIRS PEOPLE'S walkways.

LMFAO WHAT? I go "OH does the broom only operate for HER fingerprints????"

That guy would last 48 hours with me.

Furthermore all these "vow breaking" admonitions are full of crap because it's ALWAYS the "other" spouse who's broken the vows FIRST. The spirit of a marriage vow is a TWO WAY STREET and also never ever ever supposed to be a ticket to slavery - at least in OUR culture.

The word HONOR in those vows is a very broad term.

Last edited by huitrecouture; 10-22-2021 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 07:45 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
Quote:
Indeed.

While adult children can, and often do, help for a short time, over the long term it is old women caring for old men. Rarely the other way around. '

I've been in and out of medical settings now for several years. I can't recall ever seeing an old woman in a wheelchair being pushed around by an old man.

I will say that I do know men who have cared for their wives. My dad cared for my mom who had Alzheimers' for about 17 years. My dad also has 2 friends whose wives are in fragile health and the men are the ones doing everything for them. So it happens.

HOWEVER it is largely due to the fact that daughters are not really available full time to help. I work full time so I could only really help out on weekends and evenings, and these other men have daughters who live out of town. Their sons who are local just don't help.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:46 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
But the OP mentioned nothing about dementia, or being on the spectrum. Many people have hip and knee problems like the OP`s husband. That is no reason to give the poor guy the boot.
She never said she was giving him the boot. Where are you getting this from? She simply says she sees that her future is going to be much different then she had thought it would be and is having a hard time coping with it. It is HARD to care for someone and most especially when you're no longer in love with the person.

It's not "just" hip or knee problems, he is probably like me, riddled with degenerative problems that are now coming one after another. I know I will be crippled with arthritis one day.

This specific forum is not supposed to be a place of judgement. I think it's shameful. People are allowed to be sad about a reality of life. It doesn't mean she doesn't take her commitment seriously.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:48 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,540,182 times
Quote:
We have made the decision to move to a one-level home with less to take care of.

Naturally, I'm the one packing, hiring contractors, ... as he's clear he's not able to do any of this.
That's sounds like a smart decision. It might be good to try and find a home that is wheelchair accessible with a shower with grab bars that is easy for him to get in and out of, wider doors so that the wheelchair can fit through, easy entrance into the home.

The easier he can navigate around the house, himself, the more independent he can be.

When my husband was wheelchair bound for a few months (could not bare any weight on either leg), we lived in a split foyer. Not fun.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:50 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for all the advice.

I am hopeful that the hip replacement surgery will eliminate his constant pain and allow him to regain his mobility. Fingers crossed.

I've loved this man for over 50 years. We've raised a family together. Regardless of how overwhelmed I am at the moment, I'm not going to dump him now. Good grief.

I'm asking for advice on how to go forward. Moving into a retirement community might be just the ticket. He would have others to chat with, there would be activities, etc., ...
It sounded like you were griping.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:51 AM

453 posts, read 301,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
“In sickness and in healthâ€
Typical man. You're a man, right?

You don't know if she ever said those words. I didn't. They're NOT REQUIRED to get married.

Yeah no, he broke that deal a long time ago.

That's cute. Plucking 5 words out of a long paragraph of vows.

How about HONOR?

How about CHERISH?

How about RESPECT?

A marriage vow is not a contractual indentured servant contract. In OUR culture.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I'm not leaving him. I'm trying to figure out how to do not dread this next stage of our lives.
Ok, then. GET PREPARED. Think out all the possibilities and make provisions to carry them out. Being prepared helps ease anxiety (and you don't even really know yet how things are going to turn out).

Get plenty of rest, exercise and eat well. This should go without saying.

And I read somewhere recently this advice (not verbatim)....when everything seems to be falling apart and you don't know what to do, strive to be the person that everyone looks to to hold it together. The strong one, the loving one, the one that isn't going to fall apart. Just taking that perspective on it puts you on a trajectory to overcome whatever the troubles are.
I hope this makes sense. I know you will find a way through this.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:12 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,540,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Ok, then. GET PREPARED. Think out all the possibilities and make provisions to carry them out. Being prepared helps ease anxiety (and you don't even really know yet how things are going to turn out).

Get plenty of rest, exercise and eat well. This should go without saying.

And I read somewhere recently this advice (not verbatim)....when everything seems to be falling apart and you don't know what to do, strive to be the person that everyone looks to to hold it together. The strong one, the loving one, the one that isn't going to fall apart. Just taking that perspective on it puts you on a trajectory to overcome whatever the troubles are.
I hope this makes sense. I know you will find a way through this.
I say fix the environment so that you don't have to be so darned strong. There is no reason why Op's husband can't do for himself more in the right environment. He needs a certain amount of assistance and since his mobility is limited, Op can make sure that he is safely in/out of the shower and comfortably situated before she goes out to her Yoga group (or whatever). She doesn't need to be hovering around him adjusting the blinds just so and fetching him things 24/7. He's not so far gone that he can't do some things for himself. Let him figure some things out for himself.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I say fix the environment so that you don't have to be so darned strong. There is no reason why Op's husband can't do for himself more in the right environment. He needs a certain amount of assistance and since his mobility is limited, Op can make sure that he is safely in/out of the shower and comfortably situated before she goes out to her Yoga group (or whatever). She doesn't need to be hovering around him adjusting the blinds just so and fetching him things 24/7. He's not so far gone that he can't do some things for himself. Let him figure some things out for himself.
I agree with this, too, for sure. If you do everything for someone, sometimes they just 'give up' and you'll be waiting on them hand and foot for the rest of your life.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:17 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
I'm on the fence regarding my soon to be 86 year old mother. Living by herself with physical limitations. Family close by seem to be wrapped up in their own lives and never stop by. The upstairs apartment always had 1 of the siblings living there. But now they all have their own homes, so the apartment sits empty. She's hundreds of miles away from me. It might be time for me to do the right thing and move back home. It's not what I'd like to do but it may be the morally correct thing to do.
Look for an empathetic college or grad student to rent that apt at less that normal as part of watching out for your mon
Or someone similar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving