Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times

Advertisements

She's a beautiful kitty! Love her name too (I have a cat named Annie as well ).

The one of my kitties who sleeps with me sometimes wakes up and meows in the night -- I usually just say "You're OK, Gretel, go back to sleep" and that's all she needs to hear. Sometimes I think they just want to hear our voices or get a little bit of reassurance.

So sorry she is sick. I am hoping she is able to stay with you awhile longer, but at least you will know that she had a long and happy life with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 02:33 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Look at the bloodwork and see if they did the thyroid tests, specifically free T-4. For some reason not all vets automatically add this test.

In addition, was her blood pressure checked. Hyperthyroid and high blood pressure are the most common reasons for this kind of meowing.

Deafness can also cause it. But given her kidney disease, my guess is hyperthyroid or high blood pressure, or both. All paws crossed for your girl.
Ditto! Dealt with the first two issues on our boy and cleared it up for quite awhile. He is almost 20 and is starting up with the blood curdling screams again. He thinks he is asking for food or company in his "inside voice," but he is too deaf to tell the difference. He's also getting a bit senile, too.

He's also been CRF for for the last 5 years. We give him soft food that has been watered down a bit, to keep him well-hydrated. He also has a heart condition, HCM, which we manage with meds.

In spite of all this - he is happy and basically healthy!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:23 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Ditto! Dealt with the first two issues on our boy and cleared it up for quite awhile. He is almost 20 and is starting up with the blood curdling screams again. He thinks he is asking for food or company in his "inside voice," but he is too deaf to tell the difference. He's also getting a bit senile, too.

He's also been CRF for for the last 5 years. We give him soft food that has been watered down a bit, to keep him well-hydrated. He also has a heart condition, HCM, which we manage with meds.

In spite of all this - he is happy and basically healthy!
That's two votes for Hyperthyroid and high blood pressure. I'm going to call my vet on Monday to see if she did, in fact, check for these two possibilities. Thanks!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
What a pretty tuxedo cat she is!
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
Annie IS a very pretty feline...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
What a pretty kitty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Annie is a beauty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
She's a beautiful kitty! Love her name too (I have a cat named Annie as well ).
Thank you all for the nice compliments. I'll be sure to pass them along to Annie.

Karen, here's the story of how I got Annie... Back in '95, I had to put my 18-year-old cat, Josie, to sleep. A couple of months later, I had my dog in to see our vet, and she asked me if I were ready for a new cat. Anyway, a friend of hers had found a box of kittens abandoned by a narrow river than runs through our city. They were just barely old enough to be away from their mother. Well, duh... Of course, I said I could take one, and since she was essentially an orphan, I thought Little Orphan Annie would be a good name for her. Hence, Annie.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times
Hello. This is my very first post on this board. Oy, do I know about screaming cats! I have a mink Tonkinese named Sushi. As some of you probably know, the Orientals are notorious for screaming their heads off, nonstop. Sushi sounds like a baby being butchered by a set of bagpipes. As a matter of fact, my neighbours reported me to the SPCA for animal abuse, as they thought this sleek, shiny, healthy and pampered beast was being tortured. I got in touch with the chief inspector for animal cruelty and guess what kind of cats he has? Two Siamese who never shut up.
Anyways, I did a lot of research into cat screaming, and evidently, the two main culprits at night are indeed, thyroid issues and senility.
I'm sorry your cherished companion is nearing her sunset. I had to put my beloved CousCous to sleep last Christmas. He was 20.

(Oh, and before anyone says I should adopt from the shelter or off the streets instead of a breeder, Sushi was a rescue from the pound. He had two prior owners. Nobody wants him because he acts like he's possessed.)

Last edited by weltschmerz; 03-02-2013 at 09:45 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Anyways, I did a lot of research into cat screaming, and evidently, the two main culprits at night are indeed, thyroid issues and senility.
That's three votes for thyroid issues. Fortunately, that's something that can be treated. Senility, not so much. I really don't think she's senile, though. She never, ever seems disoriented, always uses her litter box, shows no changes in personality, etc.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:50 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Sorry your cat is becoming more "high maintenance". Senior moments and all that.

Jasper is like that all the time. He is either asleep or loudly making commentary, constantly. I have learned to tune it out, but people who come to my house ask if there is something wrong with him, or tell me to feed him or something, because they can't stand the incessant meowing.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's three votes for thyroid issues. Fortunately, that's something that can be treated. Senility, not so much. I really don't think she's senile, though. She never, ever seems disoriented, always uses her litter box, shows no changes in personality, etc.
Senility in cats doesn't present itself the same way it does in humans. Sometimes they get confused and distressed in the dark. I had one elderly cat that would spend hours staring into space or a spot on the wall. I think she was hallucinating. The litterbox usage is deeply ingrained, and long-term memory doesn't usually suffer. It's the short-term memory, like forgetting they just ate.

(While I'm here, can somebody help me? I'm brand new and I see no "help" section. I'm having a bit of trouble navigating this board. How can I keep track of where I posted? Is there a way to see which threads I responded in?)

Old 03-03-2013, 12:52 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
If you click on your user name, click on "see all posts by weltschmerz", they'll all be there. Each post will have an envelope next to it, and if the envelope is open with paper sticking out there are new replies since you've looked at the thread.

Oh, and on the main index of the whole c-d forum, at the bottom, is the "about the forum" forum. There is an FAQ section there.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:02 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Senility in cats doesn't present itself the same way it does in humans. Sometimes they get confused and distressed in the dark. I had one elderly cat that would spend hours staring into space or a spot on the wall. I think she was hallucinating. The litterbox usage is deeply ingrained, and long-term memory doesn't usually suffer. It's the short-term memory, like forgetting they just ate.

(While I'm here, can somebody help me? I'm brand new and I see no "help" section. I'm having a bit of trouble navigating this board. How can I keep track of where I posted? Is there a way to see which threads I responded in?)
My Settings --> Settings & Options --> Edit Options --> Message and Notifications --->

I have mine set to No Notification but when I come to C-D, I click first on My Settings and there will be a list of every thread I've replied in, if anyone else has replied to me, or to anyone.

Also, find About This Forum. You'll find a wealth of information there. It was hard for me, at first, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats