Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 12:30 PM

388 posts, read 327,512 times

Advertisements

A Motorola Moto E6, dammit!

It was in mint condition when I got it this September. The damn thing was $91.75 with shipping refurbished. I had to get this stupid phone because my nice, minty and more-compact Moto E4 would no longer work with Tello Mobile.

I was out taking a walk with my jacket on. I had the phone in my front jacket phone pocket. The flap would not snap shut becase the damn phone is too long and thick. My older Moto E4, I still have it, fit like a glove under my pocket flap snapped securely.

I got warm during my walk and took my jacket off forgetting about the phone in the unsecure pocket and folded the jacket over my arm and BANG!

Hit the damn concrete. Was lying flat face up. Put dings around the eges of the screen. The screen did not break but my phone no longer looks minty. The screen glass did get a tiny chip along the edge. I don't know if it's glass or hard plastic. I took a couple hours with Brasso, Comet, water, a cloth, 260-grit sandpaper, 5,000 grit sandpaper and Novus plastic polish to try to put Humpty-Dumpty back together again. A little better but still not perfect. Using the 260-grit sandpaper along the plastic screen bezel to smooth out dings, I put some haze on the glass screen itself near the edges in a couple spots that no amount of Brasso and rubbing could clear up perfectly. There is no easy way to separate the screen surround from the glass.

They made this damn phone too thick and too long to fit my snapped-shut phone pocket. I thought the trend in high tech was to make things more compact and not bigger. Are phone makers and jacket makers in cahoots? Make bigger phones so people have to buy jackets with bigger phone pockets? If the stupid phone was just small enough to fit my existing phone pocket, this never would have happened.

I don't like to keep the phone in my larger lower jacket pocket because it bounces around down low. I will have to keep this phone in my fanny pack phone compartment from now on.

It's almost as bad to screw up a minty smartphone as it is to screw up your favorite gun, a nice watch or an automobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 02:50 PM

6,480 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Sorry to hear about your situation. There is no conspiracy. Phone manufacturers are making larger and larger phones due to the current demand by the average consumer. In this day and age, bigger is in demand and that is clear in the current product lines. If the phone is too big to fit in your pocket, there are alternative methods to carry it. You could get a phone case with a belt loop to carry it around, and depending on the case may protect it from accidental drops.

Old 12-09-2021, 03:06 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,977 times
I just got this case for my new moto and it's great!
I have a bad case of the "dropsies" and need protection for the phone!

They say that the phone can be dropped from 30 feet, onto concrete without damage.

You can get these With A Belt Clip!

Old 12-09-2021, 03:10 PM

11,483 posts, read 6,002,443 times
It is just stuff.

Old 12-09-2021, 03:12 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
It is just stuff.
"Stuff" cost money!

Old 12-09-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Sorry to hear about your situation. There is no conspiracy. Phone manufacturers are making larger and larger phones due to the current demand by the average consumer. In this day and age, bigger is in demand and that is clear in the current product lines. If the phone is too big to fit in your pocket, there are alternative methods to carry it. You could get a phone case with a belt loop to carry it around, and depending on the case may protect it from accidental drops.
No, the fanny pack I normally wear is the next best thing to a phone small enough that will actually fit securely in my existing jacket phone pocket. I wear sweats and shorts and no belt or belt loops. I don't like to carry around any more weight and bulk than I have to.

Old 12-09-2021, 03:20 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
I understand... it's like the first scratch/dent on a new car.

So I only buy used cars.

Consider this a rite of passage... it was bound to happen eventually, and now you can relax and enjoy your new phone without feeling the additional pressure of keeping it pristine.

Old 12-09-2021, 03:34 PM

If I need to type a letter on a bigger screen and keyboard, play a game or watch a movie, I use a PC or a notebook. I don't need to tote a workstation around on my person 24/7. I bought my new jacket at Walmart in 2017 and the phone pocket on the jacket was just the right fit for a Moto E4 (5.7" max length) and nothing bigger. People don't stop and realize these things. I don't want a phone krazy-glued to my hand.

A smartphone doesn't have to be any longer than 5.70" overall to:

1. make a telephone call
2. text
3. check voice messaging
4. summon an Uber
5. crunch some numbers with Calculator app so I can see what the best bargain on toilet paper is
6. pick Walmart and Lowe's curbside up
8. play some music on the go
9. show a bar code to UPS for shipping a crappy china-made can opener back to amazon.com
10. light up the front door keyhole at night with the flashlight built in
11. snap some still pics

Last edited by JohnPBailey; 12-09-2021 at 03:48 PM..

Old 12-09-2021, 07:41 PM

They have foldable smartphones, but my god, the prices!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9sDuZsuoSw

Last edited by JohnPBailey; 12-09-2021 at 07:50 PM..

Old 12-09-2021, 11:57 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
No, the fanny pack I normally wear is the next best thing to a phone small enough that will actually fit securely in my existing jacket phone pocket. I wear sweats and shorts and no belt or belt loops. I don't like to carry around any more weight and bulk than I have to.
Why not but some sweats with zip pockets that are big enough for the phone ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones