Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think "two-factor" ID is:
Great 11 47.83%
Terrible 5 21.74%
Without purpose 2 8.70%
It depends 3 13.04%
Other, post away 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 06:04 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You won't be prompt to use 2FA for every function of your phone.
You can still track your lost phone using another device without 2FA.

Also explained here:
https://support.google.com/accounts/...r-to-locate-it
I just looked at that link. It still doesn't explain how you log on when a random, six-digit code is sent to your phone, which is the item that is lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 09:03 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Apple keeps on trying to convince or trick me into "choosing" "two-factor" ID, so that I would have to fetch my cell phone after inputting my password. Apple repeatedly asks me to convert my phone to "two-factor" ID. More absurdly it keeps trying to convince me to switch a family member's phone over, without their knowledge, when I try to locate my wife's or son's phone.

Why more absurdly; if the phone is lost it makes the "Help a Friend" factor useless. And with phones themselves, I cannot imagine the havoc that would cause.

The question is "why"? Is there some techno-genius doing this or is part of the modern trend to make things "not work?"
2FA in general is a best practice when it comes to security.

Not sure what the issue is....

You can setup multiple trusted devices and phone numbers. So if your phone is stolen or lost... you can use another trusted device to obtain the code, or have it sent to another number (if you don't have another Apple device).

The point is to have this setup in advance. This way, if you lost your phone, you can have the code sent to your other number(s). You can also have a trusted contact. Or, for even more security - use a hardware authenticator. This is the most secure way, but it will require you to have that token as it replaces the verification codes.

So - you have options.

As always - security is often achieved at the cost of convenience...

There is "not work" and there is "not understanding how it works..."

Old 01-06-2024, 09:23 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Excellent points, macroy.

Old 01-06-2024, 09:40 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I'll suggest you shouldn't be using the phone for ANY financial business in the first place. Problem solved.
The time is coming that we will be more cashless, contactless and pay with the phone. Here, overseas most transactions are made with phone - BUT the security and privacy is much better - l have to admit.
The two way authentication is helpful and shouldn't be dismissed.

Waiting for others to pitch in...

Old 01-07-2024, 03:49 AM

451 posts, read 422,670 times
If google and apple push for it it ain't good.
I don't need it and will take the "risk" associated with not using it.
Don't force me let me decide.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:21 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
If google and apple push for it it ain't good.
I don't need it and will take the "risk" associated with not using it.
Don't force me let me decide.
You certainly CAN decide. Google and Apple are optional services. You can choose to take more risk elsewhere.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:23 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Apple keeps on trying to convince or trick me into "choosing" "two-factor" ID, so that I would have to fetch my cell phone after inputting my password. Apple repeatedly asks me to convert my phone to "two-factor" ID. More absurdly it keeps trying to convince me to switch a family member's phone over, without their knowledge, when I try to locate my wife's or son's phone.

Why more absurdly; if the phone is lost it makes the "Help a Friend" factor useless. And with phones themselves, I cannot imagine the havoc that would cause.

The question is "why"? Is there some techno-genius doing this or is part of the modern trend to make things "not work?"
Go Android.
Problem solved.

Old 01-07-2024, 07:20 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
On my home computer I'm finding some of my accounts will randomly require it (no choice) but offer to text it, call with it, or email.

What ever happened to just answering a security question?

Old 01-07-2024, 08:57 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

I would have to suspect it speeds up the authentication process and the CS reps are freed from going through the process. In theory, they can take more calls this way. Would you prefer it is easier for the thieves to try to hijack your account? Seems like a logical reason and minimizes the carrier's potential liability. Seems simple to me.

Old 01-07-2024, 09:57 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
On my home computer I'm finding some of my accounts will randomly require it (no choice) but offer to text it, call with it, or email.

Because they're proven to be less effective. In general, multifactor is better than single factor. Security questions is essentially the same factor done twice. Basically, just another password. Sure, two might be better than one... unless all of your passwords are in the same place.

And even with MFA - some are proven to be weaker (relatively speaking). Like SMS texting - which is still prone to be phished. But - it's much cheaper than other alternatives.

This is that constant fight between security and convenience/cost.

The bottom line is that it's pretty much a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.People complain about convenience if you enforce more security. if you don't enforce more security, people then complain about lack of privacy controls or hold (or try to hold) the company accountable for losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones