Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think "two-factor" ID is:
Great 11 47.83%
Terrible 5 21.74%
Without purpose 2 8.70%
It depends 3 13.04%
Other, post away 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 10:56 AM

35,265 posts, read 17,141,934 times

Advertisements

Apple keeps on trying to convince or trick me into "choosing" "two-factor" ID, so that I would have to fetch my cell phone after inputting my password. Apple repeatedly asks me to convert my phone to "two-factor" ID. More absurdly it keeps trying to convince me to switch a family member's phone over, without their knowledge, when I try to locate my wife's or son's phone.

Why more absurdly; if the phone is lost it makes the "Help a Friend" factor useless. And with phones themselves, I cannot imagine the havoc that would cause.

The question is "why"? Is there some techno-genius doing this or is part of the modern trend to make things "not work?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 02:17 PM

61,914 posts, read 87,450,383 times
Two factor ID is just elevated security. Using two-factor authentication helps prevent others from accessing your Apple ID account, even if they know your Apple ID password.
Not sure why are you upset about it.

Here to get informed about that:
https://www.techtarget.com/searchsec...uthentication#

Last edited by elnina; 01-06-2024 at 02:25 PM..

Old 01-06-2024, 02:22 PM

Help a friend or family member is a feature that can help regain access to their account if they ever forget their Apple ID password or get locked out. If this happens. It's very useful, but you can opt it out.
It could work between members of your family, though.

Old 01-06-2024, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Two factor ID is just elevated security. Using two-factor authentication helps prevent others from accessing your Apple ID account, even if they know your Apple ID password.
Not sure why are you upset about it.
Here’s what I don’t like. If I misplace my phone or leave it somewhere I can use it. It will tell me if I left the phone at the library or the dry cleaner, on a desktop or another phone. If there is two factor ID, I cannot do that because the code will be sent only to my own phone.

What use is that?

Old 01-06-2024, 02:36 PM

Two-factor authentication is designed to make sure that you're the only person who can access your account. The verification code is sent to the phone number associated with your Apple ID, or displayed on your trusted devices.

I use it every time when paying bills with my phone or checking my bank accounts (Android)

They don't try to "trick" you into something. No gain for "them"

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipho...d709a3c46/ios#

If you're already using two-factor authentication with your Apple ID, you can't turn it off. If you updated to two-factor authentication inadvertently, you can turn it off within two weeks of enrollment. If you do, your account is less secure and you can't use features that require a higher level of security.

Old 01-06-2024, 02:39 PM

You won't be prompt to use 2FA for every function of your phone.
You can still track your lost phone using another device without 2FA.

Also explained here:
https://support.google.com/accounts/...r-to-locate-it

Old 01-06-2024, 03:04 PM

Quote:
You won't be prompt to use 2FA for every function of your phone.
You can still track your lost phone using another device without 2FA.

Also explained here:
https://support.google.com/accounts/...r-to-locate-it
When I visited the "more information" section that wasn't the understanding I got, and the attendant at the Apple Store did not have a good answer other than to make other family members "trusted." I would hate to bother either of my sons or my wife at work if I left my phone in a rest room or car.

Old 01-06-2024, 03:34 PM

18,550 posts, read 15,624,654 times
I voted for "other" because I think it is great to have the option, but they need to stop forcing it on people. Just have a waiver that says you accept the risk of going without, and won't sue them.

Old 01-06-2024, 03:59 PM

6,496 posts, read 10,393,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Just have a waiver that says you accept the risk of going without, and won't sue them.
Of course, that is highly likely never going to happen in this litigious society we live in.

Old 01-06-2024, 05:39 PM

4,905 posts, read 3,327,704 times
Quote:
Two-factor authentication is designed to make sure that you're the only person who can access your account. The verification code is sent to the phone number associated with your Apple ID, or displayed on your trusted devices.

I use it every time when paying bills with my phone or checking my bank accounts (Android)

They don't try to "trick" you into something. No gain for "them"

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipho...d709a3c46/ios#

If you're already using two-factor authentication with your Apple ID, you can't turn it off. If you updated to two-factor authentication inadvertently, you can turn it off within two weeks of enrollment. If you do, your account is less secure and you can't use features that require a higher level of security.

I'll suggest you shouldn't be using the phone for ANY financial business in the first place. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones