Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Why would a kid under the age of 15 be out past midnight? That falls under poor parenting.
The child (under 15) says they are going to the movie with their friends. You tell them to be home by 10. They don't show up - then its 11. Then 12. Then 1.

It happens. It shouldn't. But, it does.

Hence why, if I were a parent of a teenager today, I would make certain they have that cell phone AND I would make very sure that the GPS function IS ENABLED (and I would NOT tell my kid it is) - that way I can keep track of their movements - including making sure they actually went to the movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 11:56 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The child (under 15) says they are going to the movie with their friends. You tell them to be home by 10. They don't show up - then its 11. Then 12. Then 1.

It happens. It shouldn't. But, it does.

Hence why, if I were a parent of a teenager today, I would make certain they have that cell phone AND I would make very sure that the GPS function IS ENABLED (and I would NOT tell my kid it is) - that way I can keep track of their movements - including making sure they actually went to the movies.
Maybe you think going behind your kids back is "good parenting" but in all honestly that's the worst thing you can do, the kid will surley know that his phone is GPS enable due to the icons that appear on the home screen, and plus turning the phone off disables this feature entirely.

If your kid goes to the movie and should have been home by 11, who was supposed to bring the child home? Call the parents picking up the kid and see where they were, being under 15 is a little too young to be walking the streets at night and again falls under bad parenting.

Why would you send a 12 year old to a movie by themselves? Don't you think it would be smart to have someone accompany them?

Old 12-04-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Why would you send a 12 year old to a movie by themselves? Don't you think it would be smart to have someone accompany them?
Where did I say anything about a 12 year old??? Answer? I didn't.

And, if I feel it is necessary - I will enable the phone without their knowledge. If it is necessary (I also found out the icon can be disabled in certain phones)

Old 12-05-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Where did I say anything about a 12 year old??? Answer? I didn't.

And, if I feel it is necessary - I will enable the phone without their knowledge. If it is necessary (I also found out the icon can be disabled in certain phones)
You said child, so I used an arbitrary number as an example.

You can't enable anything without their knowledge, good luck getting a cell phone away from a teenager and installing applications without their knowledge. If a parent installed the Verizons chaperone, it shows it on their apps screen, and it can be deleted or diabled from there easily.

So if disrespecting and cheating your kids is what you call "good parenting" then I really feel bad for your kids.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
You said child, so I used an arbitrary number as an example.

You can't enable anything without their knowledge, .
\

Oh please - not again.

When I, me (the parent) get the phone - I have it enabled THEN. BEFORE my child even gets it.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
So if disrespecting and cheating your kids is what you call "good parenting" then I really feel bad for your kids.
Keeping track of my child's whereabouts is a parents JOB. I'm not suppose to be their friend. I'm their parent.

Like I said - someday you will know what it is like.

My kids are grown up. Both are doing very well. Both are professionals. My youngest is in his 26th year in the Navy - attached to the Marine Corp (in the Medical Profession) - returning to Afghanistan in a few weeks - 6th tour.

The other manages and supervises the manufacturing of Slot Machines -

So, they came out just fine thanks.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Keeping track of my child's whereabouts is a parents JOB. I'm not suppose to be their friend. I'm their parent.

Like I said - someday you will know what it is like.

My kids are grown up. Both are doing very well. Both are professionals. My youngest is in his 26th year in the Navy - attached to the Marine Corp (in the Medical Profession) - returning to Afghanistan in a few weeks - 6th tour.

The other manages and supervises the manufacturing of Slot Machines -

So, they came out just fine thanks.
Going behind your kids back in an attempt to know their whereabouts is not your job, what do you think parents did before the invention of GPS?

You don't have to be their friend to gain their respect, there is much better ways of accomplishing that, without making your kids despise you.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Going behind your kids back in an attempt to know their whereabouts is not your job, what do you think parents did before the invention of GPS?

You don't have to be their friend to gain their respect, there is much better ways of accomplishing that, without making your kids despise you.
Oh, it might surprise you the little tricks us parents had "in the old day" to keep track of our kids - heck, we even knew when, and where, they went to take a leak!

And they were raised in a fairly small town in Arizona - Sedona

And my kids did not "despise" me.

As I said - someday you may have a much better understanding of the subject. You don't, and can't, know now. It's IMPOSSIBLE for you to know what it is like - IMPOSSIBLE.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:30 AM

I never said your kids despise you, you're taking things out of context. You don't need to disrespect and decieve your kids to be a good parent, you don't always need to know where your kids are at either, give them some freedom to live their own life.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:55 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Quote:
Like I said before the son would have to physically enable this feature (and the location on), good luck getting him to install it on his phone, and the $10/month is outrageous.
If 10 dollars a month is going to break you, then you don't need a cellular phone.

Your son doesn't have to turn that feature on. Its on all the time, YOU turn it on when you set up his account. The only person who can turn it on and off, is the account holder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones