Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2021, 11:15 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times

Advertisements

Breeze to me is basically a restaurant chain that opened too many locations in new markets too soon. They dont have enough supply chain for the food and the payroll and operation costs are too much. The chain closes locations, but it doesn't mean theyre going bankrupt or will fail. Pollo Tropical absolutely failed in expanding into Georgia, but is still very healthy in Florida.

Breeze imo simply has nowhere near enough planes (was bold to even start with just 11), too many destinations, and doesn't have its maintenance and staffing fully sorted yet. You can tell theyre too ambitious because theyre already talking about flying to Europe...

Breeze needs to dial it back and take it slower. At least let the Airbuses get delivered first. I'm no expert, but they also should reevaluate their routes. Many of them seem so random. Norfolk to Harford? I know they want to avoid bigger hub airports, but they may need to look anyways, if anything for the exposure. The only reason Southwest bought Airtran was so they could get into prime position in ATL. Jetblue just bolted out of Long Beach for LAX. Spirit, which is basically the grown up version of Breeze, is headed for big moves at MIA.

If anything, I hope Breeze survives because of their commitment to CHS and the exposure and money they'd bring to Charleston. I dont want to see them fail, but it'll definitely be years before they can come close to competing on a Spirit/Frontier level. They need a new marketing department too. 2 months is absolutely nothing in the aviation world. Way too early to write them off as a fail, but also too early for them to be thinking they could just walk in and crash the party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 05:52 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Breeze to me is basically a restaurant chain that opened too many locations in new markets too soon. They dont have enough supply chain for the food and the payroll and operation costs are too much. The chain closes locations, but it doesn't mean theyre going bankrupt or will fail. Pollo Tropical absolutely failed in expanding into Georgia, but is still very healthy in Florida.

Breeze imo simply has nowhere near enough planes (was bold to even start with just 11), too many destinations, and doesn't have its maintenance and staffing fully sorted yet. You can tell theyre too ambitious because theyre already talking about flying to Europe...

Breeze needs to dial it back and take it slower. At least let the Airbuses get delivered first. I'm no expert, but they also should reevaluate their routes. Many of them seem so random. Norfolk to Harford? I know they want to avoid bigger hub airports, but they may need to look anyways, if anything for the exposure. The only reason Southwest bought Airtran was so they could get into prime position in ATL. Jetblue just bolted out of Long Beach for LAX. Spirit, which is basically the grown up version of Breeze, is headed for big moves at MIA.

If anything, I hope Breeze survives because of their commitment to CHS and the exposure and money they'd bring to Charleston. I dont want to see them fail, but it'll definitely be years before they can come close to competing on a Spirit/Frontier level. They need a new marketing department too. 2 months is absolutely nothing in the aviation world. Way too early to write them off as a fail, but also too early for them to be thinking they could just walk in and crash the party.
I think you made some great points, but David Neeleman's record speaks for itself, after he helped found Morris Air, WestJet, JetBlue, and Azul Linhas Aereas.

Could his airline magic being running out, maybe, I guess only time will tell. With regards to the markets they (Breeze) chose, I would think they had to have done some market research and crunched the numbers to see these seemingly "random" flights from A to B would be viable...............eventually!

Old 07-26-2021, 06:29 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
This article explains a bit about how Neeleman's plan for Breeze differs from Jet Blue.

https://www.businessinsider.com/flyi...lue-2021-7?amp

Old 07-26-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I think you made some great points, but David Neeleman's record speaks for itself, after he helped found Morris Air, WestJet, JetBlue, and Azul Linhas Aereas.

Could his airline magic being running out, maybe, I guess only time will tell. With regards to the markets they (Breeze) chose, I would think they had to have done some market research and crunched the numbers to see these seemingly "random" flights from A to B would be viable...............eventually!
Needleman doesn't run the market though. The 2021 aviation world is much different than 2000 when Jetblue started, regardless of 9/11. I'm not doubting him, nor do I think I know more than he does, I'm just saying it'll take time for Breeze to get its footing and they definitely may have been a little ambitious out the gate. All companies can easily make this mistake. And I know they do research. I dont think they chose Norfolk to Hartford for fun. Yet numbers crunching still doesn't mean it'll work or makes sense in the grand scheme. Not sure the Charleston to Austin flights lasted a year and I'm sure Frontier did their homework.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:40 PM

657 posts, read 738,570 times
My family flew Breeze last week and left Sunday to get back. Said the flight was crowded and they had no hiccups.

Old 07-26-2021, 04:02 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
My family flew Breeze last week and left Sunday to get back. Said the flight was crowded and they had no hiccups.
Cool. Where from?

Old 07-27-2021, 12:30 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,065,053 times
Potentially record breaking month in July. Article also mentions planning is underway for Concourse C.

Charleston airport overcomes difficult year with anticipated record July > Charleston Business Journal

Old 08-02-2021, 09:21 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
I’m not one to second-guess nor refute what spokespersons say in articles. Breeze Airways says they’re pleased with sales so far, but that delays in deliveries of planes forced a scaling back.

“Breeze Airways has experienced strong sales since the airline’s launch two months ago, but delayed aircraft delivery have forced the startup to scale back frequency for a third of its routes, including six connections from Charleston.

“‘We had a delayed aircraft into service and had to reduce the schedule,’ Breeze spokesperson Gareth Edmondson-Jones said in an email. He added that the company has been pleased with sales numbers thus far.”

https://charlestonbusiness.com/news/aerospace/80887/

Old 08-02-2021, 11:28 AM

^ Basically what I said. They had too much too soon. They have an ambitious route map, but need more planes to fly it functionally. And they still have none of the Airbuses yet. 2022 will be an interesting year for Breeze, but this isn't a surprise to me.

Old 08-02-2021, 03:19 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
The same Breeze folks said they weren’t getting new planes until October. So, why the surprise that they don’t have enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area