Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:06 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,981 times

Advertisements

Pomona, try North Chattanooga for our awesome Greenlife Grocery with organic health food, home products etc... Funky cools shops and coffee too. We also have "curb markets" in most sections of town. Nice Sunday market with organic vendors downtown with live music and local farmers/vendors to keep you in stock. The real estate is spendy so if you are on a budget, this may be a great place to just hang out in when you get the urge.

I'm hoping there are in-town older neighborhoods that are SAFE, smaller apts. or affordable bungalows or big old houses that are split up into apartments (big enough for 2 people) -- are there neighborhoods that are NOT subdivisions, cul-de-sacs or gated developments? How is the sprawl? These are all the demons in Florida, and everything is too spread out. Are there laundromats around in the more urban area?

Try Brainerd (south side of Brainerd Rd) or East Ridge for affordable cozy homes, lots of 2/1 in this area. Close to downtown too, just zip through the tunnels. Both areas are also close to the interstate if you prefer a little more speed. You will usually find a laundromat in just about any area. Even in the suburbs *gasp* lol

I'm hoping there's also venues for bluegrass music or cajun/zydeco dancing.

We have a ton of live music around this way and a couple of creole restaurants who can fulfill that cajun fever too If you can't find exactly what you are looking for here, there are many festivals within a couple of hours travel that you would love.

Snow? Meh... [/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 12:08 AM

13 posts, read 38,347 times
Hi, Pomona - I will try to make suggestions in reply to some of your questions.

Coffee Shop - Rembrandt's - 204 High St.
Bookstores - Rock Point (small but funky) - 401 Broad St. & UTC - 715 Oak St.
The Bicentennial Library (main branch) is located downtown on MLK Blvd.
Health Food Stores - nothing that I know of downtown but my favorite is the Village Market, University Drive in Collegedale. Another outstanding one is Greenlife Grocery, 301 Manufacturer's Rd.
Farmer's Market - 1st Tennessee Pavilion, 1829 Carter St.

Most of the "artsy" shopping is on Frazier Avenue, on the north side of the Tennessee River. There isn't really an all-purpose shopping center downtown. The largest mall in Tennessee is the Hamilton Place Mall, located about 20 minutes east of downtown.

Our winters are mild and for several years we have had a total of about an inch of snow. I usually have camellias still blooming in December. January and February are shivery months and sometimes March is.

I hope this has been helpful to you. Welcome to the Chattanooga area!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 11,324 times
WOW! I have been lurking on this forum for about a month now and I love the feedback everyone has given. I, as many others on this site, am from the Metro Detroit area! My husband and I are relocating at the end of this year/early next year. We are extremely excited about the move and have heard such wonderful things about Chattanooga and the surrounding areas!

We are looking in the Ooltewah/Collegdale area. The houses that I have found are beautiful! The views are exquisite and I cannot wait to some down and visit. (Have never been down yet) I think we will be in the area mid August sometime.

While we are sad to leave my family and friends we are more than ECSTATIC to begin the chapter of our lives in Chattanooga!

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to everyone for all the great feedback and keep it coming!

Chattanooga here we come!!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:26 PM

81 posts, read 306,475 times
Thanks all of your great detailed replies! Now all I need is a map of the area. I'm not fixated into living downtown, just a more urban/mixed use neighborhood that has places to live and stores around or things to walk to, and it sounds like Chattanooga has it all ~ this is one forum where everyone seems to love their town and has good things to say about it.

THANKS AGAIN for all the details, it's impossible to get this type of info from the Chamber of Commerce.

Guess I have one last question ~~ where are the bad/dangerous areas to stay out of? Borderline? Street names and even zip codes would be very helpful ~~

I am encouraged now to consider a major move!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:23 PM

179 posts, read 547,947 times
Hey Mary, thanks for the info on the bookstores! I did run into a really cool one downtown, that just has random stuff everywhere; completely unorganized. I wanted to "fix" it, but knew that it is meant to be that way!

Just thought I'd give y'all an update on the 'waiting to move' situation:

So a week ago lightning hit the tree next to the house, and fried almost $5,000 worth of electronics. My boyfriend was positively devastated. But...we are making a homeowner's insurance claim and hopefully he will be able to put any money we receive towards his credit card debt (the reason we haven't moved yet in the first place). If we were to get close to that amount, all we would need to do is save a little bit more, and really get job hunting. We don't own the home (thank God), so we don't have any worries as far as real estate is concerned.

Just thought I'd keep you guys posted!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:22 AM

21 posts, read 57,670 times
Default Hi

Hi There, I just moved here from Michigan in December! (Ann Arbor area). We love it so far. Feel free to message me if you need any advice on areas or such. Areas to live in/schools that are good...

North Chattanooga- Trendy, Close to Downtown, Over-priced homes, Very cute
Red Bank- This one is my favorite... diverse, close to downtown, cheaper homes, decent schools but not perfect
Signal Mt- Nice homes, expensive, awesome schools, not very diverse
Hixson- same as Red Bank but further from downtown...

with kids I would stay out of Brainerd, East Ridge, and Downtown. Without kids, they have cute places to live that are cheap.

Just the opinion that I have gathered from living here 6 months BUT I do work in the schools so if you have more questions about that feel free to ask.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:38 PM

3 posts, read 8,532 times
Hi AnneSeelbach,
I am hoping to move to Chattanooga asap (if I get the teaching job) from Grand Rapids, MI. Could you give me any advice on Hamilton County Schools and living situations for a single young female? Also, is it a good city for singles my age? I am 31. Thanks for any help you can give!

Old 08-06-2009, 04:05 PM

179 posts, read 547,947 times
Default Another update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl14256 View Post
Hey Mary, thanks for the info on the bookstores! I did run into a really cool one downtown, that just has random stuff everywhere; completely unorganized. I wanted to "fix" it, but knew that it is meant to be that way!

Just thought I'd give y'all an update on the 'waiting to move' situation:

So a week ago lightning hit the tree next to the house, and fried almost $5,000 worth of electronics. My boyfriend was positively devastated. But...we are making a homeowner's insurance claim and hopefully he will be able to put any money we receive towards his credit card debt (the reason we haven't moved yet in the first place). If we were to get close to that amount, all we would need to do is save a little bit more, and really get job hunting. We don't own the home (thank God), so we don't have any worries as far as real estate is concerned.

Just thought I'd keep you guys posted!

Hello beautiful people! New Update!

So my boyfriend got $2600 from the insurance company, and he put all of it on his credit card debt we are so much closer to actually moving...I even put some resumes online, so pray that I get a response! I am just itching with excitement, cause the possibilites are so close....

Old 08-06-2009, 08:05 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,681,562 times
That's good news - so glad to read of your excitement

Old 08-07-2009, 07:02 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,981 times
Yay! Great news! Now get your butts on down here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga