Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 04:20 PM

31 posts, read 210,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoforo View Post
All depend the area that you choice, if you lives among Gordon Street, sibley blvd, and Pulsasky thru 90, 94 xpress way you woulb be doing a good sellection for purchase a house, these is my area and for 4 years never I had a problem, even I have a 3 tenagers and no problems, the high school it is good, almost militar school with good discipline,
I hope the good school you're referring to is not TF North, with a drop out rate nearing 50% I would hardly be excited about sending my kids there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 AM

17 posts, read 104,780 times
I grew up in Calumet City, lived there from 1979 till 1992, then went to college in Champaign and came back and lived there from 1996 till early 1999 until i moved to my current location back here in Champaign, IL.

Calumet City today is NOTHING like it was even 15 years ago. my last full year of living there, 1999, was very different from when i left and went to college in 1992. I worked at Bennigans from 1990 till 1994 and in that time it was a thriving business, may still be but the clientel is 95% black compared to being 60% white in the early 90's. This has led to a need for a permanent security guard there, lower sales, ETC...

The city used to have a semi Mason-dixon line and that has moved west through the years. The area around Downey Park, where i played little league was fine in the mid to late 80's, after that it succumed to become an entirely black area. I had friends who lived on Ogelsby until 1989 when their area began changing, yet no real issues existed west of Torrence Ave prior to 1992 (to my knowledge). East of Wentworth has always been iffy due to the bars, state line prostitues, ETC, but those issues appear to have moved west towards Burnham.

Overall Calumet City has declined, there is no doubt about it, River Oaks used to be a jewel of a shopping center, now its a place most white people avoid.

Its sad to have seen it happen, but the trend appears to be irreversable now.

Even Lansing has its problems now, white flight has its grip on the entire area, which got its roots in Dolton/Riverdale in the early 90's.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:48 PM

13 posts, read 104,893 times
Thumbs up don't feel safe

once in a while i go to riveroaks mall and i feel comfortable but i don't feel safe. I live in lansing and its a great town, really quiet love my nieghborhood. shultz park area.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:20 PM

17 posts, read 104,780 times
Just saw that Pepino's on Sibley ave in Calumet closed and has moved to Shererville, In. That location stated from nothing in 1987 and became a HUGE favorite, now it too has jumped ship and moved..

Sad times

Old 01-01-2008, 10:10 PM

105 posts, read 375,904 times
Yes, Calumet City is bad. But why are "bad neighborhoods" always attributed to "non-whites" moving in? I'm not mistaken to say the Bridgeport is bad. Frankly it sucks and it is predominantly white. I live in Homewood in a diverse community where non-whites go to work, cut their grass, pick up trash and pay taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's your intolerant remarks that continue the negativity and racism that makes America as intolerant as it is to non whites. Maybe you should move to Poland. Or better yet, keep your comments to yourself.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Bridgeport is bad compared to what, exactly? And no, it is not "predominantly white." This isn't the 1980s any more.

If I had a choice between living in Bridgeport and Calumet City, I wouldn't have to ponder it for half a second.

As for keeping one's comments to oneself, maybe you didn't notice, but this is a message board whose explicit purpose is to share comments about particular communities. If you can't cope with that, you're in the wrong place.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:38 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeltagirl View Post
Yes, Calumet City is bad. But why are "bad neighborhoods" always attributed to "non-whites" moving in? I'm not mistaken to say the Bridgeport is bad. Frankly it sucks and it is predominantly white. I live in Homewood in a diverse community where non-whites go to work, cut their grass, pick up trash and pay taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's your intolerant remarks that continue the negativity and racism that makes America as intolerant as it is to non whites. Maybe you should move to Poland. Or better yet, keep your comments to yourself.
You are very wrong.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:57 PM

105 posts, read 375,904 times
How soon we forget...

Revolutionary Worker #901, April 6, 1997
It was early evening on March 21, and 13-year-old Lenard Clark, Jr. had just finished playing basketball with two other kids at Armour Square Park bordering Chicago's Bridgeport neighborhood. As the teens left the park, they decided to check out the nearby Chicago White Sox stadium, being prepared for opening day. It was just a few blocks away. They never made it.
According to witnesses, Lenard and the other two youths were attacked by a gang of white racists, who were angry that two Black and one Latino youth were in "their neighborhood." The three teenagers split up in order to get away. Two escaped. Lenard didn't.
Shouting racist insults, the group of whites knocked Lenard off of his bike. They smashed his head into a wall. They beat and kicked him into unconsciousness. They left him for dead. It was reported that they later boasted about how they had, "taken care of the n*ggers in the neighborhood."
Lenard remained in a coma for a week following the beating. His eyes were closed, his body hooked up to monitors. Various tubes ran to and from his head. His father, Lenard Sr., described his shock upon seeing Lenard with swollen head and hands--as if he had been in a fight for his life. Lenard's mother, Wanda McMurray, who continued a round-the-clock vigil at Lenard's side, expressed the fear that her son may never be the same. There are many unanswered questions about the future of Lenard's health, but on March 28 Lenard started coming out of his coma. A Double Standard

Two days after the attack, three white teenagers from the Bridgeport area were arrested--each charged with attempted murder, aggravated battery and two counts of committing a "hate crime."

Old 01-01-2008, 11:16 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Quote:
How soon we forget...

Revolutionary Worker #901, April 6, 1997
It was early evening on March 21, and 13-year-old Lenard Clark, Jr. had just finished playing basketball with two other kids at Armour Square Park bordering Chicago's Bridgeport neighborhood. As the teens left the park, they decided to check out the nearby Chicago White Sox stadium, being prepared for opening day. It was just a few blocks away. They never made it.
According to witnesses, Lenard and the other two youths were attacked by a gang of white racists, who were angry that two Black and one Latino youth were in "their neighborhood." The three teenagers split up in order to get away. Two escaped. Lenard didn't.
Shouting racist insults, the group of whites knocked Lenard off of his bike. They smashed his head into a wall. They beat and kicked him into unconsciousness. They left him for dead. It was reported that they later boasted about how they had, "taken care of the n*ggers in the neighborhood."
Lenard remained in a coma for a week following the beating. His eyes were closed, his body hooked up to monitors. Various tubes ran to and from his head. His father, Lenard Sr., described his shock upon seeing Lenard with swollen head and hands--as if he had been in a fight for his life. Lenard's mother, Wanda McMurray, who continued a round-the-clock vigil at Lenard's side, expressed the fear that her son may never be the same. There are many unanswered questions about the future of Lenard's health, but on March 28 Lenard started coming out of his coma. A Double Standard

Two days after the attack, three white teenagers from the Bridgeport area were arrested--each charged with attempted murder, aggravated battery and two counts of committing a "hate crime."
Tragic and wrong.

I can show many examples of things being reversed. Your point iswhat?

Old 01-02-2008, 05:58 AM

3 posts, read 21,339 times
Quote:
Y Maybe you should move to Poland. .
Now who sounds ingorant and racist? YOU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs