Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:05 AM

105 posts, read 375,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Tragic and wrong.

I can show many examples of things being reversed. Your point iswhat?
Ok??????????? I'd be interested to read them.
And wouldn't it be interesting to be on the other side just to get the experience of having to deal with racism. To go to a restaurant and sit and wait 45 minutes and not be served because you're non-white. This was just in 2007 in Orland Park @ the IHOP. THis type of thing happens to non-white americans everyday. You can be highly educated, a business owner, pay your taxes, have excellently behaved children, speak perfect english and still have to contend with the Bridgeport mentality displayed by the masses. We'd all like to think that it's 2008 and people just aren't like that but that is not the reality. I have a friend who moved to Munster, Indiana. She's a very nice young lady with a well behaved son. In the span of 7day (5) for sale signs went up. Now if that isn't intolerant I don't know what is. People are intolerant and don't even know it. Or have been so intolerant for so long they don't think it's intolerance.
Chicago is unlike alot of major cities in how it has been segregated and has been for years. You have neighborhoods like Chinatown, Greektown, Bridgeport. And in each neighborhood there is no confusion about who is living there and who will not be accepted. I have countless examples of intolerant behavior and it's sad that it exists in such magnitude. I can remember looking to purchase a home in the area by Ford city a couple of years ago. The level of discomfort that my husband and I felt from the homeowners out in the neighborhood was THICK!!! Needless to say I didn't feel that I would be safe or welcome in this 'TOLERANT' (NOT) neighborhood. This will continue unfortunately i'm sure along with the countless postings that will be written.

Last edited by adeltagirl; 01-02-2008 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 09:34 AM

162 posts, read 803,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeltagirl View Post
Ok??????????? I'd be interested to read them.
And wouldn't it be interesting to be on the other side just to get the experience of having to deal with racism. To go to a restaurant and sit and wait 45 minutes and not be served because you're non-white. This was just in 2007 in Orland Park @ the IHOP. THis type of thing happens to non-white americans everyday. You can be highly educated, a business owner, pay your taxes, have excellently behaved children, speak perfect english and still have to contend with the Bridgeport mentality displayed by the masses. We'd all like to think that it's 2008 and people just aren't like that but that is not the reality. I have a friend who moved to Munster, Indiana. She's a very nice young lady with a well behaved son. In the span of 7day (5) for sale signs went up. Now if that isn't intolerant I don't know what is. People are intolerant and don't even know it. Or have been so intolerant for so long they don't think it's intolerance.
Chicago is unlike alot of major cities in how it has been segregated and has been for years. You have neighborhoods like Chinatown, Greektown, Bridgeport. And in each neighborhood there is no confusion about who is living there and who will not be accepted. I have countless examples of intolerant behavior and it's sad that it exists in such magnitude. I can remember looking to purchase a home in the area by Ford city a couple of years ago. The level of discomfort that my husband and I felt from the homeowners out in the neighborhood was THICK!!! Needless to say I didn't feel that I would be safe or welcome in this 'TOLERANT' (NOT) neighborhood. This will continue unfortunately i'm sure along with the countless postings that will be written.
It does go both ways, unfortunately. I am white and grew up on the South Side and have had many experiences with black people that were very negative due to my skin color (I know it is due to my skin color from what has been said to me by them during those experiences). I have been in more than one area where the police have told me "it is not safe here - they don't like white people around here" (I am using "they" because that is how it was said to me, by both white and black cops). I would never consider living in these areas and felt very, very uncomfortable being in them.

There is a lot of racism out there - both ways, the difficult thing is when you are white and someone attacks (whether it be verbal or physical) you because of your race, it is not looked upon as racism for some reason.

Regardless, people crying racism when something happens is getting really, really, really old. I have a neighbor who is black, they were pulled over by the local police and received a couple tickets. They said in our association meeting that they were pulled over because they were black, the police are profiling, pulling over minorities, etc.

When in reality, I was pulled over the day before they were and received two tickets, and another white neighbor was pulled over a week earlier and received four tickets for over $500. Why was I pulled over? Why was the other neighbor pulled over? This person drives like an jerk - I have seen them run stop signs in the neighborhood many times, but instead of realizing their poor driving is why they were pulled over, they cry racism, profiling, etc.

Why is the first assumption racism? My problem with this is when you assume things happen due to race, there is no accountability for your actions. It is not your fault it happened, you were targeted, everyone is out to get you, etc.

I know there is a lot of racism out there, but people need to stop using it as an excuse for everything that happens. Perhaps there was another reason you had to wait at IHOP? I'm not saying it was or wasn't racially motivated, but I've been at restaurants and seen people that come in after me be seated quite a few times - and had to wait a lot longer than I thought I should have, but maybe, just maybe those people had put their name in earlier in the day because they know there is always a wait at that IHOP? Maybe they were there earlier and did not want to wait in the restaurant and asked how long the wait is and came back later. But seriously, I have felt that wat at restaurants many, many times and had to wait a lot longer than others I have seen come in in many cases.

Regardless, life, in most cases is not fair - white, black, red, brown, etc.

Last edited by vester72; 01-02-2008 at 09:52 AM..

Old 01-02-2008, 10:03 AM

162 posts, read 803,291 times
Also, in regards to crime and safety for Calumet City, according to the Chicago Tribune, it's pretty ugly - numbers don't lie:

Community crime data -- chicagotribune.com

Compare that too say, Mokena:

Community crime data -- chicagotribune.com

Old 01-02-2008, 12:55 PM

105 posts, read 375,904 times
Well put and received... Life isn't fair. Just seems alittle more unfair sometimes (most times) when you are the minority. BUT C'est la vie!!! Happy New Year Vester 72.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 14,077 times
I Live in lansing Just south of there, Calumet City, is getting worse, and that is no Rumor, my Mother lives there still, she doesnt want to move but shes just stubborn, If i were I would move either to hammond or one of the other surrounding suburbs,not much better though..Try indiana.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:02 AM

4 posts, read 23,191 times
Default no, it isn't safe!

I'm really glad that you asked. Calumet City was once (back in my parent's day...the 50s, 60s, before) a lovely place, even with its strip of bars and strip places . But it was a rich, ethnic, working class city that was safe.
WHOA--but today? Today, it's downright scary. We went to a concert yesterday at the big catholic church there and saw so many thugs and illegals hanging out on street corners. There were little old, white ladies and men walking back from church to their cars, and then these thugs, and I thought, "God help those old folks who still live here!" Subsidized housing has played a big role...check out the hike in crime in the last 15 years.
SO, bottom line, NO--it isn't a good place to be, unless you want to be a "change agent" and add to the community.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 23,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Hegewisch is turning the corner as we speak.
It will cease being predominantly white in about 10 more years. Tons have already left, no one is staying and only the old hold-outs will remain in a decade.

Totally agree with you, and it breaks my heart. There are still some Greek families there that I know, and they say the same thing...change is on the way. What a shame.

What does anyone think about Whiting, by the way?

Old 01-07-2008, 08:35 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,077 times
Whiting is not that great. It's a town with many older citizens and there's not much to do. It's probably safer than Cal City or Lansing, but I'd prefer not to live there. The housing is older, many of the buildings are run down in general. Many towns fit this description, but I'd choose other places if possible.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:49 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,120 times
Its sad, but Cal City is def. going downhill fast. This is not to say that the town is past the point of no return, but if things keep going the way they are, the town poses to be the next Harvey.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:20 PM

3 posts, read 22,134 times
Thumbs down Is Cal City safe?

2 words, HELL NO! I've worked in Cal City for 14 years now and If I told you what I go through everyday, you would not believe me. You might as well live on the south side of Chicago because that's what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs