Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeltagirl View Post
Ok??????????? I'd be interested to read them.
And wouldn't it be interesting to be on the other side just to get the experience of having to deal with racism. To go to a restaurant and sit and wait 45 minutes and not be served because you're non-white. This was just in 2007 in Orland Park @ the IHOP. THis type of thing happens to non-white americans everyday. You can be highly educated, a business owner, pay your taxes, have excellently behaved children, speak perfect english and still have to contend with the Bridgeport mentality displayed by the masses. We'd all like to think that it's 2008 and people just aren't like that but that is not the reality. I have a friend who moved to Munster, Indiana. She's a very nice young lady with a well behaved son. In the span of 7day (5) for sale signs went up. Now if that isn't intolerant I don't know what is. People are intolerant and don't even know it. Or have been so intolerant for so long they don't think it's intolerance.
Chicago is unlike alot of major cities in how it has been segregated and has been for years. You have neighborhoods like Chinatown, Greektown, Bridgeport. And in each neighborhood there is no confusion about who is living there and who will not be accepted. I have countless examples of intolerant behavior and it's sad that it exists in such magnitude. I can remember looking to purchase a home in the area by Ford city a couple of years ago. The level of discomfort that my husband and I felt from the homeowners out in the neighborhood was THICK!!! Needless to say I didn't feel that I would be safe or welcome in this 'TOLERANT' (NOT) neighborhood. This will continue unfortunately i'm sure along with the countless postings that will be written.
I am assuming you are black. The area around Ford City has been pretty black for more than a couple of years. Again, I dont see what your point is since you would have had to have been discriminated against by fellow blacks.

Greektown is not a large residential poplulated neighborhood anymore(although it is starting to go back in that direction) and has not been since the 50's. There have been more blacks living in Greektown and Little Italy the last 50 years than Greeks or Italians. You have no ground to stand on with that example...

I have waited in a Dennys for over a half hour in Portage, Indiana when half of the tables were
open. The host/greeter was Black, I am not. Was it Racism? I have no idea, but I am not looking to sue because of it nor spew allegations or assumptions.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-25-2008 at 12:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 11:56 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeltagirl View Post
Ok??????????? I'd be interested to read them.
And wouldn't it be interesting to be on the other side just to get the experience of having to deal with racism. To go to a restaurant and sit and wait 45 minutes and not be served because you're non-white. This was just in 2007 in Orland Park @ the IHOP. THis type of thing happens to non-white americans everyday. You can be highly educated, a business owner, pay your taxes, have excellently behaved children, speak perfect english and still have to contend with the Bridgeport mentality displayed by the masses. We'd all like to think that it's 2008 and people just aren't like that but that is not the reality. I have a friend who moved to Munster, Indiana. She's a very nice young lady with a well behaved son. In the span of 7day (5) for sale signs went up. Now if that isn't intolerant I don't know what is. People are intolerant and don't even know it. Or have been so intolerant for so long they don't think it's intolerance.
Chicago is unlike alot of major cities in how it has been segregated and has been for years. You have neighborhoods like Chinatown, Greektown, Bridgeport. And in each neighborhood there is no confusion about who is living there and who will not be accepted. I have countless examples of intolerant behavior and it's sad that it exists in such magnitude. I can remember looking to purchase a home in the area by Ford city a couple of years ago. The level of discomfort that my husband and I felt from the homeowners out in the neighborhood was THICK!!! Needless to say I didn't feel that I would be safe or welcome in this 'TOLERANT' (NOT) neighborhood. This will continue unfortunately i'm sure along with the countless postings that will be written.

Ummm forgive me here, but I'm white and I used to go that very IHOP; 14890 S. La Grange Road and would go through the same thing. It's not racism, its just complete idiots running the place over there. I got my food it was cold and looked like it had been barfed on, the bathrooms were disgusting with honest to God... Poo on the walls, the floor in the eatting area was a mess, tables weren't clean, the windows in the waiting area had dried boogers smeared on them, etc. Is that racism, or just poor management? I avoid that place now like the plague. It by far is the WORST IHOP I have ever seen!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:56 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Ummm forgive me here, but I'm white and I used to go that very IHOP; 14890 S. La Grange Road and would go through the same thing. It's not racism, its just complete idiots running the place over there. I got my food it was cold and looked like it had been barfed on, the bathrooms were disgusting with honest to God... Poo on the walls, the floor in the eatting area was a mess, tables weren't clean, the windows in the waiting area had dried boogers smeared on them, etc. Is that racism, or just poor management? I avoid that place now like the plague. It by far is the WORST IHOP I have ever seen!
I haven't been to a good IHOP in years! I love the Original House of Pancakes in Orland. Much, much better than any IHOP.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:19 PM

49 posts, read 214,106 times
I would look for another area maybe right across the border in Indiana, Hammond or Dyer,, I would not move to Cal City, too much crime for my personal taste, I have lived in the south suburbs my entire life, Cal city is going down the drain, there has been a lot more crime there in recent years and you could not pay me to live there even for free..

Old 01-25-2008, 03:24 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmtt View Post
I would look for another area maybe right across the border in Indiana, Hammond or Dyer,, I would not move to Cal City, too much crime for my personal taste, I have lived in the south suburbs my entire life, Cal city is going down the drain, there has been a lot more crime there in recent years and you could not pay me to live there even for free..
I would live in the southernmost part of Hammond. There are some beautiful homes in that area. Not to mention there is that concrete barrier that was built on State Line Rd. to eliminate automobile traffic from Cal City to Hammond.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:48 PM

49 posts, read 214,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
I would live in the southernmost part of Hammond. There are some beautiful homes in that area. Not to mention there is that concrete barrier that was built on State Line Rd. to eliminate automobile traffic from Cal City to Hammond.

Yes, that is a nice area, I know exactly where you are talking about..

Old 01-27-2008, 09:30 PM

68 posts, read 300,254 times
Personally, I don't know why ANYONE would want to try to exist in south-side Chicago/burbs or NW Indiana when places like Central IL have TONS of small towns with totally affordable housing (maybe 1/5 of what you pay up there!) and are virtually crime-free.

Just pick any central IL city 100 miles or more away from Cook/Lake/Will/Kankakee Counties and come visit and I think you'd be pleasantly surprised and your life would be MUCH better, in terms of safety and security compared to ANYWHERE up there. You couldn't PAY me enough to live up there!

Sure, you'd make less money than up there, but your COL would be so much lower that you'd more than offset that.

Faithfully,

G.A.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:00 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,482 times
There's much more diversified employment in and around Chicago than Central, IL. There's also much more in the way of entertainment and dining. Plus, one is more likely to meet diverse people who are from all over with varied interests and professional/academic backgrounds in Chicagoland than Central, IL. Comparing the housing costs near Chicago and Central, IL is of little value. People thinking of moving to Chicago also consider other urban metro areas, like NYC, LA, Miami, Boston, etc. Of course, Central IL will be cheaper and for good reason. Living here in NW Indiana, people make themselves look so dumb when they say you can buy a 2000 sq. ft townhouse in, say, Hobart (or somewhere else in NWI) for less than an 800 1BR condo in downtown or the South Loop of Chicago. Obviously, NWI will be less but it's a silly comparison. I recently heard someone complain that housing is much more expensive in the Western 'burbs (DuPage) of Chicago than outside of South Bend, IN. It's just not a fair comparison.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:46 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
There's much more diversified employment in and around Chicago than Central, IL. There's also much more in the way of entertainment and dining. Plus, one is more likely to meet diverse people who are from all over with varied interests and professional/academic backgrounds in Chicagoland than Central, IL. Comparing the housing costs near Chicago and Central, IL is of little value. People thinking of moving to Chicago also consider other urban metro areas, like NYC, LA, Miami, Boston, etc. Of course, Central IL will be cheaper and for good reason. Living here in NW Indiana, people make themselves look so dumb when they say you can buy a 2000 sq. ft townhouse in, say, Hobart (or somewhere else in NWI) for less than an 800 1BR condo in downtown or the South Loop of Chicago. Obviously, NWI will be less but it's a silly comparison. I recently heard someone complain that housing is much more expensive in the Western 'burbs (DuPage) of Chicago than outside of South Bend, IN. It's just not a fair comparison.

Golly Ma, I got me a nice condo in this here place called Joliet fir only a hunderd and fifty thousand for 1000 square foot and those ones on Fifth Ave over in that thar big city on the east coast wanted one an a half million.

Another example of an un fair comparision and yes I was poking fun at someone of lower intelligence that would compare the two.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:13 PM

19 posts, read 60,102 times
What is wrong with you people? So many of the posts on this thread and another one about Cal City that was closed are so blatantly racist. I don't understand why city-data allows these threads to continue. Threads like these are a perfect example of how ignorance breeds contempt. It's the frickin' 21st century and I feel as if I have stepped back 40 years! Believe it or not, although the Chicago area remains one of the most racially segregated cities in the United States, there are many, many areas (including suburbs) where people of different ethnicities and races live side by side--and get along! Imagine that?!

And for the poster I HATE CAL CITY to say that Calumet City was once "middle class" is laughable. It is a working class town through and through, which may largely be why white flight and racism are so well tolerated.

I really feel sorry for those of you who are so venomous in your criticisms of changing demographics in the south suburbs of Chicago. Maybe if you approached life from a place of love and tolerance rather than fear (and quit watching local news every day) you might learn that many (I did not say ALL) of the people you are so scared of are really not that much different from you.

As a real estate investor, I talk with people all the time in different neighborhoods and suburbs (Markham, Cal City, Lansing, and Chicago neighborhoods such as Washington Heights and Auburn Gresham--to name a few) and do you know what? Black, white, or whatever, homeowners all want pretty much the same things: a nice, clean, safe neighborhood, decent schools, and responsive public services (police, fire, streets and sanitation). For those of you who live in "changing" neighborhoods, I encourage you to get to know your new neighbors. You may find that you have more in common than you think. At the very least, it may reduce your fears.

Hate and fear are very heavy burdens to carry around. Just reading your ugly words is dragging me down. Time to move on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs