Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:50 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

So it seems like after four years since I been there, nothing has changed about Maywood. In fact, it seems it has gotten worse. That's pretty much sad. I dislike Maywood alot as I had a near tragedy hit me around the 4th of July on 17th and Warren. There is nothing remotely there.

My cousins family moved from Maywood about three years ago but they moved back to the city off of Congress. Has this spilled into Bellwood and Hillside? Because I know Bellwood does have it's areas but it is far more safer than Maywood and Hillside is not bad at all. But this was 2004.

I can't say I'm not surprised by Oak Park though. It's between Austin and Maywood (if you skip River Forest). It's surrounded by the inevitable. But I do think that it will never be as bad as Maywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 06:57 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I disagree with you about that stunt River Forest police pulled having the black man in handcuffs with his stolen merchandise on display. If the police were allowed to do more of this, sure Jesse Jackson would get upset, but there would be less crime. Less folks from Maywood and Austin would have the guts to rob areas like River Forest and Oak Park. You don't see ghetto blacks walking the streets in River Forest and this is because the police do not allow it. You do see this in Oak Park, especially as you approach Austin.
Well, River Forest has the benefit of having Oak Park between it and Austin. Its also less public transit and pedestrian friendly. I'm also doubtful about the benefit of public displays of arrests. Oak Park arrests plenty of criminals, and I'm sure the criminals are plenty aware of their efforts.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:16 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I can't say I'm not surprised by Oak Park though. It's between Austin and Maywood (if you skip River Forest). It's surrounded by the inevitable. But I do think that it will never be as bad as Maywood.
Crime in Oak Park has actually improved quite drastically over the past twenty years. The spike of this past summer didn't quite bring it back to 1980s crime levels, and I think it will be fine in the long run.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
And what bugs me is how the powers that be ignore everything and then 20 years later their kids "discover" the area and make hand over fist. Meanwhile, the few who are decent live like there's a war on. Security systems, dogs, locking every window, every door ALL the time. Make certain they're in the house at night----NEVER go out at night. Don't walk down their own streets because they can't. Talk about crimes against humanity!

What about the civil rights of the law-abiding?
Where's Charles Bronson when you need him?

Sorry, I don't mean to mock your serious and legitimate concerns about crime. But that sounds like a tirade straight out of one of the Death Wish movies.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:57 AM

338 posts, read 616,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Where's Charles Bronson when you need him?

Sorry, I don't mean to mock your serious and legitimate concerns about crime. But that sounds like a tirade straight out of one of the Death Wish movies.
It's a tirade of a fed up parent whose kid can no longer visit her best friends because it's too dangerous for the kids to stand outside, let alone play, in their own yard. Forget the idea of bike riding around one's neighborhood or playing tag. It's just not part of childhood experience for my friend's kids.

How do you explain mayhem to children?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
It's a tirade of a fed up parent whose kid can no longer visit her best friends because it's too dangerous for the kids to stand outside, let alone play, in their own yard. Forget the idea of bike riding around one's neighborhood or playing tag. It's just not part of childhood experience for my friend's kids.

How do you explain mayhem to children?
Can your friend get out of Maywood? It's really no place for children to grow up. Since outside gentrification forces aren't likely to transform Maywood any time soon, the only hope for Maywood is for it's own people to stand up and take control of the situation. I haven't seen an impoverished black community where this has happened yet, however. Most people just leave when they achieve any level of success.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:22 PM

338 posts, read 616,756 times
Quote:
Can your friend get out of Maywood? It's really no place for children to grow up. Since outside gentrification forces aren't likely to transform Maywood any time soon, the only hope for Maywood is for it's own people to stand up and take control of the situation. I haven't seen an impoverished black community where this has happened yet, however. Most people just leave when they achieve any level of success.
You're right, Lookout. My friend said that she's determined to put her house up for sale in the spring. I can't imagine having to sell under those circumstances but she wants o-u-t.

It's a shame. When she first moved in about 5 years ago, her corner of Maywood seemed to be improving. She gave it her best shot. And what a great house! The buyer would make out, but then it doesn't matter how great the house is if you can barely step out the door without incident.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:28 PM

My uncle's family lived in Maywood in the forties, and made the move to Oak Park in the early fifties. Even at that time they felt they needed to escape some of the ills of Maywood (and their financial situation drastically improved allowing them to "move up").

Old 01-15-2009, 05:48 PM

367 posts, read 1,205,204 times
I'm going to go ahead and hijack this thread and talk about Oak Park. I apologize, but the thread died anyway so hopefully you'll understand.

Quote:
Oak Park police used to be known for their vigilance as well, but they seem to have their hands tied by a liberal-bending city government. They seem to forget how high crime got in Oak Park in the 80s and 90s. A few more crime waves like the one this past summer will put Oak Parkers behind their police force again, however! Robberies really skyrocketed in Oak Park and River Forest this past Summer, but things have settled down again. River Forest saw something like a 300% increase in armed robberies for a few months after several straight years of declines. I'm hoping this was an anamoly, and not a new trend.
Can Lookout kid or someone else tell me more about the crime situation in Oak Park? My own interest is thinking about maybe (who knows) moving there in the future. Before I saw this thread I scanned the monthly Oak Park police crime maps from 2008 and was pretty surprised how much stuff I saw for a pretty pricey community, and how much unpleasant stuff (like robberies).

Now I see this thread and I read that this was a particularly bad year. Can you elaborate? From my looking at the maps, I see that the old "west of Ridgeland, north of I-290" advice only helps some. Things are worse in the south and east parts of OP, but not that much worse. Definitely still a lot of robberies and stuff happening both on quiet-looking side streets as well as right on the strip on Lake Street. NW corner looks the quietest, but anything near the more urban parts definitely had its share of urban problems last year.

Well anyway, I'm just going on about what trends I saw from the crime maps from 2008. What can those who live there/know more add or subtract from this? Or add any historical perspective? And I think Lookout suggested things were quieting down a bit lately?

Old 01-15-2009, 08:29 PM

333 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
I'm going to go ahead and hijack this thread and talk about Oak Park. I apologize, but the thread died anyway so hopefully you'll understand.

Can Lookout kid or someone else tell me more about the crime situation in Oak Park? My own interest is thinking about maybe (who knows) moving there in the future. Before I saw this thread I scanned the monthly Oak Park police crime maps from 2008 and was pretty surprised how much stuff I saw for a pretty pricey community, and how much unpleasant stuff (like robberies).

Now I see this thread and I read that this was a particularly bad year. Can you elaborate? From my looking at the maps, I see that the old "west of Ridgeland, north of I-290" advice only helps some. Things are worse in the south and east parts of OP, but not that much worse. Definitely still a lot of robberies and stuff happening both on quiet-looking side streets as well as right on the strip on Lake Street. NW corner looks the quietest, but anything near the more urban parts definitely had its share of urban problems last year.

Well anyway, I'm just going on about what trends I saw from the crime maps from 2008. What can those who live there/know more add or subtract from this? Or add any historical perspective? And I think Lookout suggested things were quieting down a bit lately?
Oak Park borders the highest crime area of the city-zip code 60651. I work in this Austin area of the city and can honestly tell you that from what I see happen daily just a few blocks away from Oak Park in this slum-its quite scary. Good police or not-Oak Parks crime will continue to be a significant risk due to its urban location- in fact from my experience in the area-I personally would not feel safe for my children to play anywhere in that area. Its just too close to garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs