Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:31 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times

Advertisements

Oak Park's crime troubles peaked in the 80s-early 90s, and have been on the decline every since. This past year wasn't a particualrly bad year in Oark Park, but armed robberies were WAY up for some reason (and this has been widely reported on the local papers). River Forest experienced a similar spike this year. While eastern Oak Park has more problems, living north of the Ike won't do you much good. And the apartment zones along Washington Blvd. and over by the YMCA have slightly higher crime. The "sweet spot" in Oak Park is the northwest corner from Madison Street on the south and Ridgeland on the east. It also has the best elementary school (Mann), and of course the highest real estate prices. I know many people who live in the rest of Oak Park, and the crime levels are similar to a high-end nice city neighborhood like Lincoln Park. I did this crime comparison a while back showing Oak Park, Evanston, some more "typical" suburbs like Schaumburg and Naperville, nice city neighborhood like Lincoln Park and Lincoln Square, hell hole neighborhoods like Englewood, and hell hole suburbs like Maywood. Only you can decide if the leve of crime in Oak Park is acceptable to you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
Oak Park borders the highest crime area of the city-zip code 60651.
Oak Park isn't in that zip code. Try 60301, 60302, 60303, and 60304.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:56 AM

333 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Oak Park isn't in that zip code. Try 60301, 60302, 60303, and 60304.
No, but 60651 is the Austin area that borders it off of Austin Blvd. Check out the crime stats of this zip code and you will be amazed.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Oak Park's crime troubles peaked in the 80s-early 90s, and have been on the decline every since. This past year wasn't a particualrly bad year in Oark Park, but armed robberies were WAY up for some reason (and this has been widely reported on the local papers). River Forest experienced a similar spike this year. While eastern Oak Park has more problems, living north of the Ike won't do you much good. And the apartment zones along Washington Blvd. and over by the YMCA have slightly higher crime. The "sweet spot" in Oak Park is the northwest corner from Madison Street on the south and Ridgeland on the east. It also has the best elementary school (Mann), and of course the highest real estate prices. I know many people who live in the rest of Oak Park, and the crime levels are similar to a high-end nice city neighborhood like Lincoln Park. I did this crime comparison a while back showing Oak Park, Evanston, some more "typical" suburbs like Schaumburg and Naperville, nice city neighborhood like Lincoln Park and Lincoln Square, hell hole neighborhoods like Englewood, and hell hole suburbs like Maywood. Only you can decide if the leve of crime in Oak Park is acceptable to you.

And don't forget....Cicero. It's '06 score was 3,277.8/100k per your index crime numbers there, putting it behind only Naperville and Lincoln Square for safety, and about 20% lower than Oak Park.

"Crime levels are lower than a high-end nice city neighborhood like Lincoln Park." Hmmmm, I like that. Nice way to put it! Viva Cicero!

Old 01-16-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
No, but 60651 is the Austin area that borders it off of Austin Blvd. Check out the crime stats of this zip code and you will be amazed.
I know Austin is a hell hole. Take away Austin, and Oak Park would be a much nicer place to live.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
And don't forget....Cicero. It's '06 score was 3,277.8/100k per your index crime numbers there, putting it behind only Naperville and Lincoln Square for safety, and about 20% lower than Oak Park.

"Crime levels are lower than a high-end nice city neighborhood like Lincoln Park." Hmmmm, I like that. Nice way to put it! Viva Cicero!
Berwyn too. Though I do wonder, how much of this is nitpicky residents in Oak Park who report absolutely everything vs. people in Cicero who let things slide? I guess that's impossible to quantify. But I do know that petty crimes in the city usually go unreported, so the crime numbers for theft, etc. are probably too low in neighborhoods like Lakeview.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:35 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Berwyn too. Though I do wonder, how much of this is nitpicky residents in Oak Park who report absolutely everything vs. people in Cicero who let things slide? I guess that's impossible to quantify. But I do know that petty crimes in the city usually go unreported, so the crime numbers for theft, etc. are probably too low in neighborhoods like Lakeview.
Perhaps to some extent, yes, there'd be less resident viligence on crime reporting in a lower income community. But the crimes you cite are the serious index ones, which tend to get reported. Let's face it, kinda hard to picture anyone saying "The neighborhood punks set the garage on fire? Don't worry about it Maria, I'll just go to Home Depot tomorrow and get some lumber, don't bother the police."

FYI, I think this data shows more that fears about certain areas (here Cicero) can be highly unfounded and based in prejudice towards certain demographic groups. It's not an indictment on Oak Park as being overly crime ridden. I lived in Oak Park for 5 years and had no problems.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:08 PM

367 posts, read 1,205,204 times
Quote:
While eastern Oak Park has more problems, living north of the Ike won't do you much good. And the apartment zones along Washington Blvd. and over by the YMCA have slightly higher crime. The "sweet spot" in Oak Park is the northwest corner from Madison Street on the south and Ridgeland on the east.
Thanks for all the responses. A couple of questions.

One, where is Forest Park? I read the Wikipedia entry for Forest Park and it talks about Madison being main drag through town and the park between I-290 and Harrison being near the center of the village. But when I scanned the Oak Park Police department crime maps, it covered an area all the way down to Roosevelt Rd. What gives?

Anyone care to comment generally about differences between Oak Park and Forest Park? If there are any differences to speak of?

Comments about the safety and attractiveness of areas adjacent to the Green line versus Blue line?

And how is the southern part of the area doing? Much has been made of this Harrison Street arts district (which I've never visited), but how does being right next Austin weigh on that area? On a related note, the area down towards Roosevelt Rd has in the past been an area to definitely avoid. Still true?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:49 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Forest Park is due west of Oak Park. They share a border at Harlem Ave. OP has an excellent school system and the property values and taxes reflect that fact. FP shares its high school (Proviso East) with several high poverty, high crime suburbs. Proviso is generally acknowledged to be one of the worst (if not the absolute worst) school district in Illinois. This clearly depresses property values. If schools aren't an issue (or if private schools will work for you) FP isn't a bad choice as a cheaper alternative to OP. Crime is lower in FP since you're further away from Chicago.

Regarding other differences, FP has more blue collar roots, and they like to poke fun at elitist/yuppie mentality that OP supposedly exhibits. However, in recent years more of the OP demographic has moved to FP in search of cheaper housing. Similarly, retail/dining in FP has gone a little more upscale recently.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 PM

333 posts, read 1,147,287 times
As of September 28,2008, Maywood had 13 homicides so far in 2008 with 3 months remaining. I am searching for final 2008 murder rate stats, do not know if they have been released. They were on pace for at least 17 murders for all of last year. Wonder what the final tally was- I know this much- in a town as small as Maywood that goes from Roosevelt-Chicago ave. and from 1st avenue to roughly 22nd avenue- those numbers are alarming- leaving my vote for Maywood as the biggest hell hole suburb in Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs