Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 04:09 PM

4,070 posts, read 7,356,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
Who's bashing Chicago? If anyone were bashing any city, then it would be the ones putting down Cleveland. I did not go into Chicago's murder rate, economy, financial situation, corruption, etc. I could have, but I refrained. Sorry, Chicago is too far from perfect, and I certainly don't need to sugarcoat things to make my point better.
Um, Cleveland's murder rate (per capita) is higher than Chicago's. You can confirm that by looking up the stats on this very site.

And all cities are "far from perfect". But Chicago is an awesome global city that has an energy and a vitality and a totality of possibilities that Cleveland just can't match. (That's not to say that Cleveland doesn't have its good points, however.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 04:24 PM

11,080 posts, read 12,559,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Um, Cleveland's murder rate (per capita) is higher than Chicago's. You can confirm that by looking up the stats on this very site.

And all cities are "far from perfect". But Chicago is an awesome global city that has an energy and a vitality and a totality of possibilities that Cleveland just can't match. (That's not to say that Cleveland doesn't have its good points, however.)
... and with that, go back to the Chicago forum.

As far as stereotypes: the people that I've showed around here all thought it was going to be all post-apocalyptic or something before they got here and actually saw the place.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:29 PM

372 posts, read 468,666 times
Quote:

I never said every city was perfect, did I? No, I didn't.

My point has been proven, thank you. All you do is come in here and bash Cleveland (not just this thread, but every other thread that deals with Cleveland or Ohio you post in). Very easy to find, and once again, my point will be proven by going back and searching your past Cleveland posts. Yet you complain that people are bashing Chicago, and look at how you talk about Cleveland. No one here has said anything nearly as negative about Chicago as you have about Cleveland. I'm sorry, Chicago is known for its murder, and it is far more spread out than in Cleveland. Every problem you mention with Cleveland, I know you will hate to hear this, happens in Chicago on a bigger scale (obviously because it is bigger). I have been in parts of Chicago that make Detroit look nice. I wouldn't call Chicago an "awesome" global city, there are far more global cities that take that title. I would even take cities like Philadelphia over Chicago. If you want to start bashing Cleveland (oh wait that is nothing new) I can play the same exact game. I can honestly say I have never checked the Chicago sub-forum because it holds no interest of mine, yet here you are constantly in the Cleveland sub-forum talking down on the place. Don't cry that we are bashing Chicago, because there's a very pot/kettle effect going on here.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
... and with that, go back to the Chicago forum.

As far as stereotypes: the people that I've showed around here all thought it was going to be all post-apocalyptic or something before they got here and actually saw the place.
Firstly: I read and post in the Cleveland forum because I'm from Cleveland. I lived there for 34 years. So I know more than a little bit about the place, firsthand.

Secondly: I didn't talk about Chicago in this thread (except for a very brief comment in passing that it was a better comparison to Toronto than Cleveland) until someone else brought it up... and their remarks were both irrelevant to this thread and negative. Capisce?

BTW, the last time I was in Cleveland (2007) the downtown area did look very "post-apocalyptic". In fact, that's the very word I used at the time to describe what I saw. I also used the word "surreal". I thought I was on the set of a weird sci-fi movie about a city where a neutron bomb had just gone off.

Going around saying things like "Oh, Chicago has all the same problems" isn't going to help Cleveland fix itself. And it comes across as more than just a bit envious and insecure.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:40 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,972,206 times
Quote:
I never said every city was perfect, did I? No, I didn't.

My point has been proven, thank you. All you do is come in here and bash Cleveland (not just this thread, but every other thread that deals with Cleveland or Ohio you post in). Very easy to find, and once again, my point will be proven by going back and searching your past Cleveland posts. Yet you complain that people are bashing Chicago, and look at how you talk about Cleveland. No one here has said anything nearly as negative about Chicago as you have about Cleveland. I'm sorry, Chicago is known for its murder, and it is far more spread out than in Cleveland. Every problem you mention with Cleveland, I know you will hate to hear this, happens in Chicago on a bigger scale (obviously because it is bigger). I have been in parts of Chicago that make Detroit look nice. I wouldn't call Chicago an "awesome" global city, there are far more global cities that take that title. I would even take cities like Philadelphia over Chicago. If you want to start bashing Cleveland (oh wait that is nothing new) I can play the same exact game. I can honestly say I have never checked the Chicago sub-forum because it holds no interest of mine, yet here you are constantly in the Cleveland sub-forum talking down on the place. Don't cry that we are bashing Chicago, because there's a very pot/kettle effect going on here.
It's the Chicago arrogance that's all; I lived there many years and all you get is the reminding that Chicago is a global city with the biggest that and tallest this. It's really the Jan Brady of U.S. cities; doesn't get enough attention.

This guy is from Cleveland and thinks he's in Paris now and needs to keep putting Cleveland down passive-aggressively because he lives in Lakeview (a collection of people and weirdos from other places-mostly small town midwesterners-that think they are ''international''). It's really the "city of big chip on its shoulder". All I do is mention facts about Chicago and it is bashing.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:47 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,972,206 times
Quote:
Firstly: I read and post in the Cleveland forum because I'm from Cleveland. I lived there for 34 years. So I know more than a little bit about the place, firsthand.

Secondly: I didn't talk about Chicago in this thread (except for a very brief comment in passing that it was a better comparison to Toronto than Cleveland) until someone else brought it up... and their remarks were both irrelevant to this thread and negative. Capisce?

BTW, the last time I was in Cleveland (2007) the downtown area did look very "post-apocalyptic". In fact, that's the very word I used at the time to describe what I saw. I also used the word "surreal". I thought I was on the set of a weird sci-fi movie about a city where a neutron bomb had just gone off.

Going around saying things like "Oh, Chicago has all the same problems" isn't going to help Cleveland fix itself. And it comes across as more than just a bit envious and insecure.
Chicago's real estate market is a disaster; Illinois has the highest foreclosure rate in the nation. Where is the demand driving the market?

Old 09-19-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Chicago is known for its murder, and it is far more spread out than in Cleveland.
Known for its murder? Because of the stupid misconceptions the media fosters?

Look at the following chart:

United States cities by crime rate

Note that Chicago's murder rate (per 100,000 population) is 15.2. Now note that Atlanta's is 17.3, Pittsburgh's is 17.6, Cleveland's is 19.0, Cincinnati's is 20.5, Buffalo's is 20.7, Kansas City's is 21.1, Washington DC's is 21.9, Detroit's is 34.5, Baltimore's is 34.8, and New Orleans' is a whopping 49.1.

So why should Chicago be "known for its murder"? Could it possibly be that the media have it in for Chicago? Why their silence on all these other cities that have even higher murder rates -- in some cases more than double than Chicago's?

Don't believe everything you hear or read in the news. Learn to do your own investigations and properly analyze things.

Oh, and it's not "far more spread out than Cleveland". Most of Chicago's violent crime occurs in a very small portion of the city relative to the whole. The vast majority of Chicago area-wise is about as safe as any urban area can be.

Quote:
I wouldn't call Chicago an "awesome" global city, there are far more global cities that take that title. I would even take cities like Philadelphia over Chicago.
Philadelphia?! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Better contact the GaWC and tell them to downgrade Chicago from its Alpha+ rating. And all the other organizations that rank Chicago in the top ten worldwide in global economic influence. Tell them all that their methodology is obviously wrong, and that they should've contacted you first for your input.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:19 PM

14,774 posts, read 14,764,686 times
Cleveland has a lot of amenities, and working in health care it's a very attractive option. The wife won't go for it though...she's stuck on NY/NJ/PA.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
This guy is from Cleveland and thinks he's in Paris now and needs to keep putting Cleveland down passive-aggressively because he lives in Lakeview (a collection of people and weirdos from other places-mostly small town midwesterners-that think they are ''international'').
Weirdos? Gah. If anything, the typical Lakeview denizen is too white-bread and conformist and not weird enough.

BTW, the only thing worse than someone in Chicago thinking he's in Paris is someone in Cleveland thinking he's in Paris. And I've run across at least a few such misguided souls right here on this board.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,423,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
This guy is from Cleveland and thinks he's in Paris now and needs to keep putting Cleveland down passive-aggressively because he lives in Lakeview (a collection of people and weirdos from other places-mostly small town midwesterners-that think they are ''international''). It's really the "city of big chip on its shoulder". All I do is mention facts about Chicago and it is bashing.
And with that comment, you receive my first +rep vote in a long, long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland