Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2023, 06:40 AM

741 posts, read 1,750,319 times

Advertisements

Please advise on the places to visit in and around Cleveland between Dec 24 and Jan 6 as we have have couple of weeks (last week of December and first week of January) of holidays to spend.

We are a family of four, including 2 kids aged 10 and 8 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2023, 11:39 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
I’m very disappointed all the Cleveland residents who reside on the Columbus forum couldn’t help this gentleman out for three days after his question was posed. Anyway, during my visits to CLE I enjoyed the Art Museum, Little Italy and West Side Market the most. Great Lakes brewery was a destination 10 years ago but not sure if that’s still the case. The RnR Museum is an obvious choice, but I found it a bit underwhelming, personally.

Old 12-25-2023, 01:45 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
West Side Market, Great Lakes, Science Center, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland's Children's Museum, Cleveland Museum of Art, Asiatown, Little Italy, Kamm's Corners (Irishtown), Playhouse Square (Cleveland's theater district)... there's probably some family friendly New Year's activities around Public Square and Downtown I bet, every major city has something. I am rambling but there is that much to take in even during winter. One destination I have not been to but will definitely be on my itinerary the next time I visit NE Ohio is Cuyahoga Valley National Park. In fact, there still might be activities to be found there in winter. Locals might know.

Old 12-25-2023, 01:51 PM

4,516 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I’m very disappointed all the Cleveland residents who reside on the Columbus forum couldn’t help this gentleman out for three days after his question was posed. Anyway, during my visits to CLE I enjoyed the Art Museum, Little Italy and West Side Market the most. Great Lakes brewery was a destination 10 years ago but not sure if that’s still the case. The RnR Museum is an obvious choice, but I found it a bit underwhelming, personally.
... that's a start. I'd thrown in University Circle, in general (in addition to the Art Museum), which has tons of museums and top-shelf arts (including MOCA and Cleve. Inst. of Art) & Musical (Severance Hall, Cleve. Inst. of Music) venues...

Back downtown: I'd throw in Public Square (ice skating, food, (still Chrismas Lights and fun), plus adjacent Tower City, which has some stores but several food venues and lots of stuff for kids during the holidays), plus just walking through the magnificent Tower City mall complex, including the gorgeous 1929 Portico plus and an elevator ride up to the Terminal Tower observation deck (check its hours)... Kiddies also might like a Rapid transit ride from the basement of Tower City, esp over the Flats/Cuyahoga (great views) to extremely vibrant Ohio City featuring the aforementioned fantastic West Side Market, plus several quality food venues -- including ultra-fun Mitchell's ice cream (a popular venue even in ice-cold winter)...

Back downtown, there's Playhouse Square, Cleveland's magnificent theater district (largest outside Manhattan) -- fantastic 1920s stages (really ornate beautiful architecture as well, and be sure to check out the largest outdoor chandelier in PHS.

Also, try a ride up to Bar 32 (on the 32nd floor, that is) at the newish (2016), highrise Hilton Hotel where its floor-to-ceiling windows serve up fantastic views of downtown (plus more distant areas of the city) and, of course, Lake Erie --> just come back in the summer as Bar 32 opens its open-air deck for stunning sunset views over Lake Erie... Unfortunately, no kiddies allowed, since it is, as the name suggests, a alcohol-serving bar.

Then there's the Flats, esp on the weekend, where there are a bunch of bars and restaurants -- some really good (and $$$$) like Alley Cat Oyster Bar, sitting right along the Boardwalk of the Cuyahoga River, featuring tons of industrial and pleasure boat traffic...

... and there's much more to Cleveland... Check out the Destination Cleveland walk-in center at (bustling) Euclid/E. 4th Street for more guidance and info. Hope this helps.

Old 12-29-2023, 02:14 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
At ages 8 and 10 I'd probably go for the Great Lakes Science Center and the Cleveland Aquarium.

The art museum is also cool if you think they'd have any interest in seeing suits of armor.

The Natural History Museum is undergoing a major renovation, so I'd pass on it at this time unless you have free reciprocal admission from a different museum membership.

If you can catch a relatively warm and dry day, then Edgewater park and the big new playground is a nice place to stop.

Old 01-01-2024, 02:19 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Great Lakes Science Center, and The Christmas Story House. MOST kids love that movie. Somehow, it transcends generations. Seeing the "Leg Lamp" will be cool and funny. You may buy one.

There are kids in that age group who will want to spend an hour or a few at the Cleveland Museum of Art. They will get that lost, expression. The is the Second-Best Museum of Art in the United States. And it is free of charge. I am originally from NYC, and this impresses me.

Take your kids to art museums without their permission. They will thank you. I promise. Especially ours.

Don't eat at chains or fast food. Try Little Italy. Most American kids think of Italian food as "good". It's a lot better than that. Little Italy has well above average food - better than most Italian food and its festive area. Lots of kids in the restaurants.

When I was that age, no one could keep me from the Rock Hall. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I loved rock music then and now. Rap, metal, pop, R and B, and other forms of pop music are featured.

You can visit Cleveland so many times, but these are the basics.

I hope you enjoy yourselves!

Old 01-01-2024, 12:33 PM

4,516 posts, read 5,090,184 times
^All great suggestions... I'd also throw in the Western Reserve Historical Society (now branded as the Cleveland History Museum), which is also a part of University Circle's amazing galaxy of museums, educational, historical (ie: the Cozad-Bates Underground Railroad house/museum) art and music venues, esp WRHS' famed Crawford Auto/Aviation exhibit of early 20th century cars and planes. There's also the full-scale merry-go-round from the old Euclid Beach amusement park on display ... where, I believe, kids can ride.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:36 PM
on3

498 posts, read 383,610 times
So where did you go? How was the trip?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland