Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 05:15 PM

59 posts, read 49,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somd View Post
I am a new resident of CP. It is a pretty neighborhood and my neighbors are very nice.
With that being said, be forewarned — don’t believe the sales pitch. Everyone moves to a neighborhood for a reason. I was sold on the new amenities center on the west side, which was to include a 9-hole golf course. It was also to have a playground and a pool. Apparently, the 9-hole course is out, and the developer said at a recent meeting that they are not obligated to add an amenities center. The current pool is not big enough for all the homes. Great if you can afford to put one in your backyard, or as some have done — buy the lot next to your house and put in a pool…

We were told, and their brochure reflects, nature, biking, and walking trails. Ask the sales person to show them to you. There are none. Well, there are sidewalks, which they can call “walking trails” or paths, I guess….Their ides of a “nature trail” is a 50’ sidewalk that ends at a path that goes another 50’ to nowhere. People bike on the street, as do I. There are no bike paths.

Another selling point was the golf course. Halfway into our build, they went private and we cannot afford to join — not at $14,000 for the initiation fee, plus several hundred per month. There is a social membership for a $5,000 initiation fee and over $100 per month that will allow you to use their pool and gym. I hear the gym is not as nice as the one in the community, though. I found an article recently from 2018, where it said the golf course was going to go private. Hmmm… Maybe the sales person should have mentioned that when we bought our lot in 2021…

Since the developer still owns the community, we have an MOA. A year ago, when we bought our lot, the HOA fees were $120. When we moved in 11 months later, it was $125. In 2023 it is going up to $140. Some areas — like townhomes— pay more because lawn service is included.

As far as rules… some seem petty. You are only allowed 1 garden flag in your front yard. If you have more than one, you will receive a violation letter…. But, there seems to be no problem with the colors that some homeowners want to paint their homes.

Now that I am here, I would like to know what the future development is going to look like. Since the 9-hole course is not going in, that must mean they are going to put more lots in. I heard there were going to be 150 more homes, but it wasn’t approved. Then I heard it was 100 homes… So, who really knows? I can’t seem to find anything online, and the developer is not being transparent.

I obviously was not here, nor looking to move, when “Mr. Bobby” was developing this community (before he sold it to Renaissance). But, it seems there is a big difference between Mr. Bobby’s vision and Renaissance’s vision. Some of the new residents are moving, some even before their house is completed. If you Google “Compass Pointe,” there is a ad that comes up that says, “Looking in Compass Pointe? View River Bluffs Instead.”
Wow, thank you for the update! Very interesting... Especially if the new developer is not being transparent. Not a good thing. The wife and I had visited in the Spring and the 150 homesites was mentioned as being opened up soon, within a month or two. Well, it's November and nothing has happened. And they took some lots near the highway extension and are trying to sell those, with the disclaimer of noise, but no mention on any mitigation efforts (noise). Interesting, but those lots in my opinion aren't too desirable. I don't think they'll move so well unless priced accordingly.

I'm interested in the HOA/MOA rules, like noted above, but all. What are setback rules from property lines? Additions to homes? Separate buildings on property like sheds? Fencing, and landscaping. All information that isn't readily available.

All in all CP isn't the only game in town, but the amenities look very attractive. How are they? Have you used them? And how crowded is crowded (pool and gym, etc). Is it a time of day thing? I'm no golfer, but I wonder if non residents are allowed on site because they join the Golf Club? That would be interesting in a gated community...

River Bluffs is nice, but they need to buy up the 2 miles or so along the roadway entrance as it detracts from the development in my opinion. Otherwise a very nice place to consider, I agree.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Last edited by AK NY; 11-07-2022 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 12:45 PM

49 posts, read 50,017 times
Default Nearby beaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic11 View Post
Don’t want to hijack the thread but realistically, how far from CP to a marina, boat ramp, or inshore waters for boating? And also, a beach?
Don't know anything about boat ramps....but Wrightsville Beach is less than 20 miles (parking fees are $40 a day March thru November...if you can find a space....very challenging...Dec/Jan/Feb are free)

Carolina Beach and Kure Beach have similar fee structure....slightly less expensive maybe $25-30 a day. They are about 45 minutes away.

Topsail Island (about an hour away) has paid parking as well

Currently Oak Island beaches approx 40 miles away are the only free parking and that is subject to change in 2023.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidicevapor View Post
Cons:
>High HOA fees that will only go up
>Distance to civilization, 20 minutes minimum to get to Wilmington proper or southern Leland although this is greatly improved from what it was due to the new 140 bypass (funny another poster said "location, location, location!", lol CP is in the boonies with vacant pine land all around)
>noise pollution, although this is minimal due to the large pond abutting the highway, most homes are far from the highway
>paper mill and gen X, worth mentioning but not unique to CP, as all of Wilmington is affected by these
>living in 'little brooklyn by the beach', majority of residents of CP are from up north, ill tell you why below
>home prices too high and not sustainable for working locals

Compass Pointe is a beautiful community but you get what you pay for and you certainly pay for it in CP. I believe the median home price is somewhere in the 400k's. This is above the the sustainable home value/payment for working residents of the Wilmington area based on median income and jobs. CP specifically markets to northerners with their posh amenities and tantalizing 'Discovery Packages' because they have significantly greater spending power. The home prices are only affordable to middle or upper class northerners that are used to home and land values significantly greater than in eastern NC (this is why CP is successful, people come to ENC and think wow 400k is cheap when theyre used to 800k but 400k is still too high). Virtually everyone in CP is from up north, although some come from RTP or Charlotte. This is due to the prices, no one local buys in CP because they know the subdivision was a timber tract before it was developed and the land value was minimal before all the money was dumped into infrastructure (which does add value). But driving 30 min to work for prices that are higher than in Wilmington is not savvy for most. You are paying for the amenities, gated community vibe and pretty marketing packages. Home values will likely stay stable but i doubt they will appreciate much as the subdivision ages. There is a lot of land to close in between Wilmington and CP. This post will ruffle some feathers but that's to be expected on this baby boomer echo chamber of a forum here. Pretty much everything here also goes for SJP. Brunswick Forest is more affordable but will still suck you dry with dues over the years.
Pretty much right....however, some of the new homes (rare) are reaching the $1M mark.
Amenities are on hold right now.....the marketing brochure described some very nice amenities on the west side of the development - however over the last few years none have been built. The original pool, a tiny indoor pool and the lazy river are the only recreational water activities available now to those who are not members of the golf club (They will get a pool in 2023)

The number of houses being built (or proposed) gets larger all the time and the amenities are strained. Compass Pointe is NOT a gated community - it is a community with a gate. There is no security at the gate....you roll up and say I am going to ???? and the gate comes up. The gate people are really just there to let in construction workers and construction vehicles.that do not have transponders.

Old 11-18-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingSunMDnurse View Post
We have visited Compass Pointe twice now but in the Fall and Winter. I am now hearing that the humidity is unbearable in summer months. Other than being in the pool, do people actually do activities outside during the day? Also any reports of snakes getting in the houses? Otherwise, that place looks great. We are in Maryland now.
It is incredibly hot and humid in the summer....but not as cold as Maryland or anywhere up North in the winter. We do not salt the roads here so any ice makes driving extremely dangerous. However, if we have a freeze in the early morning it is over by noon. also no salt on the roads is better for your car.
I have not heard of snakes in anyone's homes, but I did chase a snake out of my garage and they are fairly common sight in the pine straw around the houses. We also have bobcats....however, to my knowledge we only have or had one gator. Compare that to Brunswick Forest and Waterford where there are gators all over the place.

Old 11-18-2022, 01:14 PM

Everything you said above is true. I have lived here almost five years and there has been a world of difference since Renaissance Development took over. No transparency at all. As long as there is "dirt" to sell contiguous to Compass Pointe, I get the feeling we will be westward ho expansion forever. The current homeowners will never get to the 80 percent ownership that requires developers to turn over the reigns to the HOA because the number of homes goal post keeps changing. We were told there would be about 2200 homes when we purchased....now there are about 1500 plus certificates of occupancy which gets us close to the 80 percent point but at recent annual meeting were told the number is now 2200-2500 homes total and that we only have 30 percent which means somewhere they are planning yet another 2500 homes. All the newer neighborhoods have stub roads that lead out to the woods to enable future development...If I could do it all over again, I would buy a resale in an established completed community.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:00 AM

So CP is not the best, although most expensive option out there? Obfuscation of development plans is problematic, and not a deal breaker, but definitely don't want to be standing on lines or needing a reservation for a beach chair at the pool! Lol... Is unfortunate because the brief visit I had there, it looked great and checked a lot of boxes!

Keep us all informed, it's much appreciated!

Old 02-06-2023, 08:25 AM

So... Interestingly, I attended an Expo this past weekend where CP reps were present. I went right to the point as developer representation was there as well. I asked "when" the additional lots on the west side were going to be released. The answer wasn't concrete, it was "soon"... To which I replied that is what I was told last year at this time. Additionally, I was told the # of lots was significantly less than previously published, but the design was looking to have lots with more space, so why there would be "less".

Hmmmmm...

Old 02-06-2023, 11:49 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK NY View Post
So... Interestingly, I attended an Expo this past weekend where CP reps were present. I went right to the point as developer representation was there as well. I asked "when" the additional lots on the west side were going to be released. The answer wasn't concrete, it was "soon"... To which I replied that is what I was told last year at this time. Additionally, I was told the # of lots was significantly less than previously published, but the design was looking to have lots with more space, so why there would be "less".

Hmmmmm...
I wonder if they are doing what ORP did several years ago, to release small sections of the newer part of the development to create the illusion of few homes for sale "better grab it while you can" urgency.
I don't know but it seemed to work years ago.

Old 03-12-2023, 01:32 PM

7 posts, read 8,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller1122 View Post
Compass Pointe would be my choice, based on location, location, location – pros include access to Wilmington and the beaches, retail stores and restaurants nearby, and the people who live there (mostly northerners who came to NC for better weather and lower cost of living) are friendly and take pride in the appearance of their property. Con: although newcomers can choose among a variety of builders and custom features, houses generally tend to be cookie cutter, with builders such as Liberty, Trusst, and Bill Clark building the same model over and over -- same style and same roof lines with few discernible differences in the exterior. Some sections of Compass Pointe are built exclusively by a single builder and look like tract housing.
If you could, maybe also Mike Retiree.
Looking to purchase. After several years, they just opened up several lots, west side, for $275,000/lot. (land only).
I love the amenities in the community but have been informed since Renaissance Group took over the “amenity mgmt.” responsibilities, a golf course was built, club house, pool, etc. Now, Latitudes is closed. Does someone need to purchase a club social membership to dine in Compass Pointe? It was never that way. $5,000 one time initiation fee, not sure about social membership. Monthly or yearly amt? What does it truly include? The Renaissance Group has not been transparent on any costs. They ditched the nine hole course.
What other amenities are being taken away? Love the community for the amenities but see it has tremendously changed during the past year.
I am very aware there are two large communities being built across the way … more than 2,000 units. When does this start? There shall be plenty of heavy equipment building infrastructure and units.

Gated Community: This is how Compass Pointe is marketed. Per some threads on this forum … it is not. If someone reading this who lives in Compass Pointe, can you please opine when the security guards work (hours) at both entrances? Thank you.
It is my belief that Compass Pointe is safe but with all the changes and expansion going on in the area, not sure how the next 3-4 years shall be.

Again, thank you.

Old 03-12-2023, 01:34 PM

7 posts, read 8,907 times
Please see below on another recent thread. I had questions and you might be able to answer them. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina