Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:50 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,200,846 times

Advertisements

I understand. But this sort of pottery was mass produced as a casual decorative item made inexpensively, in large quantities and geared towards maximizing profits for the pottery factories and not focused on the pottery employees as individual artists.

Your lamp was made from a mold, it's not a uniquely hand sculpted item. The glaze was probably applied with a spray gun with some finer accents applied by hand with a brush. Hundreds of these tulip lamps were made, but over the years, as people's interior decorating tastes changed, they were thrown out or put into storage. They also got broken, since pottery will break if knocked around or if fallen on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 10:10 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,617,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm keeping it. I'm just curious about its history.
That's the way I do it, too. I like knowing what I have and really love the discovery itself. There are many books on the subject. Books have far more information than the internet. You deserve another rep, but I can't yet give one. You have the mind and heart of a collector. Dealers who patrol this forum can never understand us.

I found this book on Amazon. I'm not familiar with the subject, but it may have the basics of what you seek. I searched "Italian pottery ceramics" on their website.

https://smile.amazon.com/Italian-Pot...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Old 07-02-2018, 12:18 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,200,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's the way I do it, too. I like knowing what I have and really love the discovery itself. There are many books on the subject. Books have far more information than the internet. You deserve another rep, but I can't yet give one. You have the mind and heart of a collector. Dealers who patrol this forum can never understand us.

I found this book on Amazon. I'm not familiar with the subject, but it may have the basics of what you seek. I searched "Italian pottery ceramics" on their website.

https://smile.amazon.com/Italian-Pot...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Hey. I have the heart of a collector also. And I love to research my finds. I just wanted the OP to be realistic about what she has. And I love Italian pottery too. But there is only so much to research about vintage decorative Italian majolica pottery. Even the Italians don't care about those details. But as long as the OP loves that tulip lamp, that's all that really matters.

As to that book on Italian pottery marks, perhaps the OP can find a copy of it as her local library. If they don't have it there, they may be able to transfer a copy of that book over to their location for her. But... I honestly don't think that it's worth the OP spending $18 on a book when she's only got that one tulip lamp to research. And later on, when she wants to sell that lamp, knowing the exact Italian pottery company who made it isn't going to make that lamp more valuable to anyone.

I remember what some appraiser said on Antiques Roadshow about a piece of art glass with a forged L.C. Tiffany signature. Go by how the piece speaks to you, not by how it is signed.

And that is how I find most of my treasures. I've handled so many antiques, that I don't need to turn a piece over to read the marks, in order to know what it is and who made it.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:47 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,344,169 times
I've been around antiques a bit and have never seen one of these so I'd really like to have some kind of knowledge about its origin - date, etc. I'm thinking 50's.

Also there is a bit of it that I think was done by hand.I'll try to get a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques