Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 01:15 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,972,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I thought they were cute and they were cheap and easy to collect.

I never bought any because I never buy anything that has to be dusted. Nothing that is mass produced in staggering numbers is ever going to have any value as collectibles, so I couldn't see any point in buying for future appreciation.

But they are cute. It made more sense to me to collect cute little stuffed toys than to collect Avon bottles. Seriously, some people thought that mass produced cheap pressed glass bottles intended to be thrown away were going to be their retirement fortune. I knew several people who collected them.
I think I have seen a thousand of them in thrifts.

What folks should have been doing is buying Apple in the 90's, and Exxon right after Valdese, and Amazon at under $200 a share. Just a few off the top of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 12:11 PM

35,121 posts, read 31,403,664 times
I saw a news story on TV this week about "if you have these Beanies, you will get rich."

I was HUGE into Beanies as a kid. I have one large tote and three smaller totes full of them. I pulled some of them out today.

The thing that makes many of them "rare" and desirable are "tag errors." If you look closely, many of the tush tags have "Oak Brook, IL" as "Oakbrook IL,". What should be "USA" instead "U.S.A." Those "errors" supposedly makes them more valuable. I have most of the first nine, and all of the ones I've gone through today have these tag errors.

I put six up on eBay to see what they do. Some are going for thousands of dollars, with no bids. I'd taken $50 for most of them.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I saw a news story on TV this week about "if you have these Beanies, you will get rich."

I was HUGE into Beanies as a kid. I have one large tote and three smaller totes full of them. I pulled some of them out today.

The thing that makes many of them "rare" and desirable are "tag errors." If you look closely, many of the tush tags have "Oak Brook, IL" as "Oakbrook IL,". What should be "USA" instead "U.S.A." Those "errors" supposedly makes them more valuable. I have most of the first nine, and all of the ones I've gone through today have these tag errors.

I put six up on eBay to see what they do. Some are going for thousands of dollars, with no bids. I'd taken $50 for most of them.
A lot of that is fake. There are some listings that you can check and it say's it sold for a thousand, and you go into the completed listing further and you see it sold for $10. I haven't figured this out yet, but it's definitely a scam.

Ebay has bots trying to attack their site all day I bet.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
A lot of that is fake. There are some listings that you can check and it say's it sold for a thousand, and you go into the completed listing further and you see it sold for $10. I haven't figured this out yet, but it's definitely a scam.

Ebay has bots trying to attack their site all day I bet.
One of the ones that was valued at thousands in that news article has an average sale price, according to eBay, of $202. I'd be very happy with that.

I plan on keeping at least some of my oldest ones and most of the bears for nostalgia's sake. If none of these six rare ones I have sell, I'll be looking into selling a good bit of the less valuable as a lot locally.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:59 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,325,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Recently I was at a garage sale and the lady was selling Beanie Babies asking $1.00ea. for them. She had about 200 of them and I didn't see anyone interested in buying them.
The bottom fell out of the market years ago. I gave several totes full of them to the local family homeless shelter so they could hand them out to the kids that came in.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The bottom fell out of the market years ago. I gave several totes full of them to the local family homeless shelter so they could hand them out to the kids that came in.
Amusingly enough, none of the Beanies I listed sold.

These were the ones with tag "errors" that were supposed to be worth a lot. They didn't sell at $10.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Amusingly enough, none of the Beanies I listed sold.

These were the ones with tag "errors" that were supposed to be worth a lot. They didn't sell at $10.
Although it's a dead market, and when you say listed I don't know where you listed them, but that can happen with many items.

I listed something that was in nice shape didn't get a bid at $15, but somebody sold one with bids for $26. And there are only 6 currently listed.

Still this has always been an odd hobby to me. And the problem is many thought they would be valuable. I posted it a few posts back.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Although it's a dead market, and when you say listed I don't know where you listed them, but that can happen with many items.

I listed something that was in nice shape didn't get a bid at $15, but somebody sold one with bids for $26. And there are only 6 currently listed.

Still this has always been an odd hobby to me. And the problem is many thought they would be valuable. I posted it a few posts back.
They are on eBay. I may try Etsy - I did the eBay relist for two of them. What's odd is that I used to eBay a lot to sell stuff. I had a laptop listed (two days to go) and a few other items - none have more than ten views, and no bids.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:41 PM

10,349 posts, read 6,898,458 times
Quote:
They are on eBay. I may try Etsy - I did the eBay relist for two of them. What's odd is that I used to eBay a lot to sell stuff. I had a laptop listed (two days to go) and a few other items - none have more than ten views, and no bids.
Yep, people are liquidating crap they see little value in.

Old 11-03-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Yep, people are liquidating crap they see little value in.
This post makes zero sense.
Not everything is crap. I could check a fellow flipper's listings who I rarely see any more but know well, and all his stuff is usually $24.99 BIN. Hundreds of listings like that. And don't think he doesn't sell.......

By the way, one of my buddies was selling crap as you call it in an antique mall for years. Up until it closed recently. It would amaze me the kind of junk people would buy in an Antique Mall that you couldn't give away on Ebay.

He got lucky in a junk shop yesterday with some carnival glass. Something both of us know very little about. He made out though. (He is not an internet seller)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques