Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,655 times

Advertisements

I have dozens of Beanie Babies that I am slowly trying to sell online using eBay.

At a thrift shop I purchased one for $.99 and here is what I found:

A 2nd generation hang tag
Tush tag that is brown with no mention of name or pellet type
No small pellet feeling in the body of the Beanie Baby - just two large pellets

The name of the Beanie Baby is Orion and he's a blue bear.

Does anyone know if this is a rare find? I mean, I've never seen a Beanie Baby with no pellets like that.

The hang tag has a few light marks on it, but the tush tag is in mint condition.

I don't want to put a price on it until I get some opinions. I'm hoping it's here!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 02:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Are they still selling Beanie Babies? We have a couple of boxes of them in the basement I think. Maybe i should go look through them. I bought some of them at a garage sale thinking they would make toys for the dog, but they are bad dog toys. I think I got about 20 of them for $5. Can I sell them for $50 each like in the old days? I thought that was all gone.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:04 PM

133 posts, read 75,215 times
I would go here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Flipping/. Many of the people that post on that Reddit are professional resellers and are pretty helpful.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:51 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
I am sure there is an occasional rarity, but that is a market that tanked.

Collect what you like but I thought the craze for them was plain dumb. It coincided with that 1990ish modern baseball card idiocy. The same for 90's comics.

What level of rarity when they were all bought, and saved?

Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer'sBreeze View Post
I would go here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Flipping/. Many of the people that post on that Reddit are professional resellers and are pretty helpful.
Yeah, like this comment....Looking for tips on identifying cat ****/spray on used items

Old 08-16-2019, 08:17 AM

922 posts, read 790,574 times
My mom bought into the whole Beanie Baby craze back in the day. She worked in a store that sold them so she was able to get the new ones as soon as they came out, and at a discount. Her idea was that she was going to make lots of money selling them so that when she got older she "wouldn't be a burden." We ended up giving them away here and there after she was gone. Never made a cent from any of them.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:27 AM

176 posts, read 129,097 times
My wife and daughter were into that at the time. The stores would ration them out as one person would come in and buy a dozen of the one everyone wanted. They had a great time together hunting them down with an entire network of like minded ladies, lots of good memories they still talk about. It was a great product. Cheap , appealed to kids and adults. There were beanie baby conventions of all sorts I took her to. My wife even met people in mall parking lots to swap beanies like they were drug dealers

I got dragged into it one fall when the halloween beanies came out. Seems there were three or four issued together but the local Hallmark was only allowing one to be purchased per shopper. I was required to go get in line before it opened. I even had to drive there in a separate car and I'm not kidding about this , I was not to acknowledge them! Some of the stores policies were crazy and customers would get irate. I went first, they followed. The line was already there, it was like queueing up for super bowl tickets. Chairs and hot chocolate. I get in line and as the only male I am a natural source of curiosity.

My wife and daughter pull in and are a couple of ladies back in the line. I'm getting all this attention as I said when asked, I'm here for my wife and she gave me this list of what to look for. Well the comments were very favorable. Lots of what a great husband you are , my husband would never do that for me, she should do something special for you etc etc. I really enjoyed the look on my wife and daughters face .

There were always the beanies everyone just had to have. My wife never was and still isn't a spender on herself, it was always everything for the kids and home. Beanies were a cheap hobby. So at least for holidays b-day I insisted she blow what ever she wanted on one of these things. I felt I spent money on equally useless items.

We were on a vacation in CA at Universal Studios and they had beanies. She saw a "rare" one she always wanted but it was $30 and she would not buy it no matter what I said. It was called sting, a manta ray. We tour the park and as we were preparing to leave she had to stop in the ladies room that had a big line. I ran into the shop as it was close by and bought it. As I wanted it to be a surprise I had to stuff him in my belt and wear my shirt tail out. You get the picture. She decided to go back into some of the other shops so I have to walk around with this thing in my pants for another hour.

I put it in her bag for the flight home. She thought it was funny that I had to walk around and drive the car back to the hotel.

She and my daughter got far more enjoyment out of it vs the cost of the beanies. Maybe with a few exceptions.

one of the best send-ups of the entire craze was the 3rd rock from the sun show. fuzzy buddies. Dick spends all the family food money on fuzzy buddies.

https://123movieshub.gdn/episode/3rd...n-4-episode-4/

Old 08-16-2019, 11:52 AM

Well surprise. Women like their fuzzy buddies fuzzy..........

Kidding aside I still don't get it. The people that make this stuff sure make a lot of money.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:36 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
I had a large tote of Beanie Babies sitting in the attic for years. I went through them and pulled out the ones that could sit out as part of the decorations for holidays.....bunnies for Easter, black cat at Halloween, etc. Then I had my 33 year-old-daughter sit with me and go through them. I was amazed that she remembered most of their names. We had a smaller plastic box and she chose her favorites that would fit in that box to keep. The rest I plan to donate. As much as people roll their eyes at the craze, they were good, inexpensive birthday gifts and fun to collect at the time, as Kentucky62 mentioned. The value was in the fun.....not in making any money on them.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I had a large tote of Beanie Babies sitting in the attic for years. I went through them and pulled out the ones that could sit out as part of the decorations for holidays.....bunnies for Easter, black cat at Halloween, etc. Then I had my 33 year-old-daughter sit with me and go through them. I was amazed that she remembered most of their names. We had a smaller plastic box and she chose her favorites that would fit in that box to keep. The rest I plan to donate. As much as people roll their eyes at the craze, they were good, inexpensive birthday gifts and fun to collect at the time, as Kentucky62 mentioned. The value was in the fun.....not in making any money on them.
But that's how you thought. Kentucky made clear in his post that was not going on.

Stuffed Animals made from the 90's on, everybody bought and saved them, and they will be worth bux in the future. And they are stuffed animals.

Sure, some still sell for crazy money.

Are they artistic, nope, iconic, nope, nostalgic, nope ( unless you are 20 maybe?) Unusual, nope, interesting, nope.....I mean WTF to put it mildly.

I saw this nonsense first hand with sports cards. I remember Jose Canseco's Donruss rated rookie selling like hot cakes for $90 in 1989. Anybody who was popping them off was smart. They aren't worth ten cents now. And that was going on with a lot of modern cards back then.

This modern run to the store in hopes of finding your rare Pop Figure is just bananas, and shows how little people know about collectibles.

At the opposite end of the spectrum I was at a coin show in 2001 and a dealer was trading this young kid $2 gold pieces for 1999 silver proof sets. I think the kid had over 20 sets. (Kid being early 20's)
I wonder how each made out over time? If the dealer managed to move them in less than 5 years, and the kid held onto the coins for about 10 they both made out. But in the long run the kid made out like a bandit!
Those sets were selling in the $250+ range just a couple years after they came out. Now they are worth a little more than the issue price.

Don't get me started on the scourge of grading companies for coins, comics, cards......

(My copy of Werewolf By Night 32 that I paid $1 in 1981 is worth in $500 range in average condition, it was an older book when I bought it, and still wasn't worth a damn thing in the mid 90's, key though, IT WAS OLDER!)

It's not always age that matters, but the kind of things that are collectible now are older, and were pitched, damaged, or destroyed. And things that younger people would find interesting, unusual.

One thing, people are shedding the collecting mindset. They want "Experiences", not stuff. And I tend to side with them mostly.

I am not trying to pick on anyone. But this is my observation.

Last edited by Digger 68; 08-23-2019 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques