Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 09:09 AM

374 posts, read 564,138 times

Advertisements

Your list of wishes certainly eliminates most of Colorado. IF you can negotiate on "culture" vs small town living, you might have better luck.

As you mentioned BLM lands, I would suggest including Nat'l. Grasslands. The camping is much less developed; and crowds much less, overall. We looked @ a remnant 8-acre, former Girl Scout camp, w/relocated church (house), natural gas well providing fuel, well, horses OK, surrounded by Cimarron NG for ~ $135K.

We've considered Walsenberg. It was a coal-mining town, so the cookie-cutter dates back some years: Walsenburg is a former coal mining town that never recovered when the mines closed by the 1960s, and its population has dropped to fewer than 3,000 residents. In Huerfano County, which is home to Walsenburg, 20% of the population lives below poverty level. Finding a home w/2 baths is unusual.

The Pawnee National Grassland lies 35 miles east of Fort Collins and 25 miles northeast of Greeley in Weld County. Contained within the 30-by-60 mile area are 193,060 acres managed by the Pawnee National Grassland.

We considered Ft. Morgan, but were discouraged by the rampant petroleum extraction going on in the Pawnee NG. Signage is minimal, > difficulty in knowing IF you're on public land, or private.

SE Colorado: Comanche National Grasslands

SW Kansas Cimarron National Grasslands We've spent some great times on the Cimarron. Notable birding spot (once spotted 8 Swedes w/BIG lenses @ a lesser prairie chicken lek, over 2 days.

Wife considered a job there, ~ 2010. Town appeared more alive than dead. Grocery well stocked. Wind/Dust should be considered.

< = $150K homes in Elkhart, KS

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...rch/Elkhart_KS

Panhandle Oklahoma
The Black Kettle and McClellan Creek National Grasslands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 09:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
NW Arkansas, NE TN, WV.

Cooler and than TX, cheaper than CO.

NM slightly cheaper, but without the political / growth drama of CO.

Western USA is very expensive for what you get.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:58 AM

374 posts, read 258,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
This is absurdly wrong. I lived in DFW, and I can tell you that summers there are many orders of magnitude worse than Denver. The only place in Colorado that comes even remotely close is Southeastern Colorado (Pueblo, Lamar, La Junta). Denver averages 2-3 100 degree days per year. DFW is closer to 20. In DFW in July and August it's not at all uncommon for the temperature to be above 90 by 10am, and it'll stay above 90 until 10pm or later. Summers in the eastern half of Texas suck, and OKC isn't much better. Nice try, though.

I visit Dallas multiple times each summer. I personally would rather spend my summers there than in Denver (and living in OKC I can assure you that the summers here are basically the same as DFW, just slightly less humid). I did mention that Denver summers actually cool off at night as opposed to DFW, which would give it the edge in that regard for most people, but that dry desert heat is a killer. I walk outside in Denver above 85 and I can feel my skin literally begin to shrivel and dry out. I don't get that anywhere below 4000 feet no matter how hot it gets. So for me, personally, Denver summers are in fact worse than DFW summers.

All of this, of course, irrelevant to the fact that OP has priced themselves out of pretty much anywhere in Colorado that isn't a dead or abandoned town hours away from anything worthwhile and seem to be living in some kind of fantasy land where Colorado real estate is the same as it was 30 years ago.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:11 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,178,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
This is absurdly wrong. I lived in DFW, and I can tell you that summers there are many orders of magnitude worse than Denver. The only place in Colorado that comes even remotely close is Southeastern Colorado (Pueblo, Lamar, La Junta). Denver averages 2-3 100 degree days per year. DFW is closer to 20. In DFW in July and August it's not at all uncommon for the temperature to be above 90 by 10am, and it'll stay above 90 until 10pm or later. Summers in the eastern half of Texas suck, and OKC isn't much better. Nice try, though.
I used to live in Houston until earlier this year so I have some first hand experience. Temperature wise Denver in July-August is a little better than Houston between 10-4, but not by much. The difference can be felt mostly in the shade a the sun here is stronger than at sea level so it's not really more pleasant to be out on a sunny day in those months. The main areas of improvement are during cloudy days and late morning-early evenings. If I plan on spending the day in a pool then I think Houston would actually be better in August as the sun there doesn't hurt my eyes and skin as much.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:17 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,178,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
I visit Dallas multiple times each summer. I personally would rather spend my summers there than in Denver (and living in OKC I can assure you that the summers here are basically the same as DFW, just slightly less humid). I did mention that Denver summers actually cool off at night as opposed to DFW, which would give it the edge in that regard for most people, but that dry desert heat is a killer. I walk outside in Denver above 85 and I can feel my skin literally begin to shrivel and dry out. I don't get that anywhere below 4000 feet no matter how hot it gets. So for me, personally, Denver summers are in fact worse than DFW summers.

All of this, of course, irrelevant to the fact that OP has priced themselves out of pretty much anywhere in Colorado that isn't a dead or abandoned town hours away from anything worthwhile and seem to be living in some kind of fantasy land where Colorado real estate is the same as it was 30 years ago.
You also have to admit that Colorado has better May, June and September compared to most of Texas. It's only July/August that can come down to personal preference.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:04 AM

1,812 posts, read 903,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post

OKC summers suck! The humidity is unbearable!

Old 10-28-2021, 11:08 AM

22 posts, read 38,752 times
Thanks for the many and quick responses.

Just a note since most comments seemed to imply the original post was too farfetched and idealistic (even trolly, yikes!). Yes, I laid out the ideal so folks might have an idea what is as close to that as possible. None of those are hard lines, not all the boxes are going to be checked, concessions have and will be made. I am leaning more towards Appalachia, but for this post, I was mainly trying to get a gauge on the cheapest pockets of CO. The high humidity and flooding of the east/southeast is what's keeping CO/NM on the table for now.

As far as affordability, financing something over 150k might be possible but not desirable for us. We try to maintain a low cost of living DIY-as-much-as-possible approach. Not looking for the conventional lifestyle that most people want and/or expect (thinking HGTV). We have and want to continue to live with less. A small house in need of some remodeling with the potential to turn a shed or garage into a guest quarters is the ideal. Only enough land to have some gardening and outdoor cooking where the neighbors aren't in super close proximity like most cities. I just finished a full remodel of a large house permitted and up to code in the city, so I'm fairly confident I can do what's needed as long as there aren't major issues and I can be idiosyncratic about it. So, not looking to off-grid, but if it happens to go down, a better position to weather that possibility than say a city apartment. Therefore proximity to small farms, firewood, etc.

Anyhow, thanks again, especially the more detailed less outright dismissive replies!

Old 10-28-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
Your list of wishes certainly eliminates most of Colorado. IF you can negotiate on "culture" vs small town living, you might have better luck.

As you mentioned BLM lands, I would suggest including Nat'l. Grasslands. The camping is much less developed; and crowds much less, overall. We looked @ a remnant 8-acre, former Girl Scout camp, w/relocated church (house), natural gas well providing fuel, well, horses OK, surrounded by Cimarron NG for ~ $135K.

We've considered Walsenberg. It was a coal-mining town, so the cookie-cutter dates back some years: Walsenburg is a former coal mining town that never recovered when the mines closed by the 1960s, and its population has dropped to fewer than 3,000 residents. In Huerfano County, which is home to Walsenburg, 20% of the population lives below poverty level. Finding a home w/2 baths is unusual.

The Pawnee National Grassland lies 35 miles east of Fort Collins and 25 miles northeast of Greeley in Weld County. Contained within the 30-by-60 mile area are 193,060 acres managed by the Pawnee National Grassland.

We considered Ft. Morgan, but were discouraged by the rampant petroleum extraction going on in the Pawnee NG. Signage is minimal, > difficulty in knowing IF you're on public land, or private.

SE Colorado: Comanche National Grasslands

SW Kansas Cimarron National Grasslands We've spent some great times on the Cimarron. Notable birding spot (once spotted 8 Swedes w/BIG lenses @ a lesser prairie chicken lek, over 2 days.

Wife considered a job there, ~ 2010. Town appeared more alive than dead. Grocery well stocked. Wind/Dust should be considered.

< = $150K homes in Elkhart, KS

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...rch/Elkhart_KS

Panhandle Oklahoma
The Black Kettle and McClellan Creek National Grasslands
Super helpful thanks! Its good information and the grasslands look like very interesting sites to visit, but looking for something less remote and closer to mountains.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:25 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by u_lima View Post
...Only enough land to have some gardening and outdoor cooking where the neighbors aren't in super close proximity like most cities. ... So, not looking to off-grid, but if it happens to go down, a better position to weather that possibility than say a city apartment. Therefore proximity to small farms, firewood, etc.

Don't forget to check the water availability and laws where you might be buying. I'm not that familiar (live on town utilities) but I gather Colorado water law is quite the convoluted situation. Best wishes.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
"A property priced somewhere around 150k..."

With a house and some land or just land? With house and land, you'll will be looking at very bottom part of market.

If you care about events, focus on nearness to Pueblo. Trinidad as distant second, Walsenburg not at all.

Pueblo West or part of it (not all exactly the same) or near it might work or not. Visit and assess specific spots.

If summer heat is an issue. try to find a spot in hills at 6-7k elevation.

Other areas for consideration might be Delta CO, Cortez CO or Aztec NM. More affordable than most spots, within driving distance of events and recreation.
Very helpful, will look into those last 3 towns, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado