Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 01:59 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,305,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
Where is here for you? Western slope?
Denver metro

And just back from a 20 mi bike ride in shorts and short sleeves.
I just looked in up and my first ski day last year was Nov 10. Doubt I'll make it up to ski country this coming week, but hopefully soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 04:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,870,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
That is because they start at 1500 at my favorite place.
https://www.vogheraristorante.com
Yum!

The Florida panhandle is not consistently warm in winter. Christmas week last year, Denver was significantly warmer than what we had. Even Tampa and Orlando can have their winter cold snaps. And then there was the 2014 ice storm….

Old 11-09-2021, 06:51 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,870,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I know a few people who want to move to Florida in the near future. Pretty much the normal story, they see they can buy a bigger house in Orlando area for about half the price of Denver and they are sold. Has nothing to do with the weather, everything to do with economic perceptions.
I know every area thinks they have bad traffic but Orlando is is rough by any standard. The last time we were in Tampa, we did a day trip there- going was close to 2:30 along I-4 and then my phone sent us back to our Tampa hotel pretty much by way of The Villages to avoid hitting that bottleneck again.

I have cousins in the Orlando area who love it. They were able to buy when home prices were much lower than now so they could afford good locations with easy work commutes. However anyone getting excited about the giant Orlando house for $450k or so these days will probably find themself pondering the greenness of the grass in the roadside drainage ditch while stuck in a traffic jam on a very regular basis because those houses are typically pretty far out on an overwhelmed road network

Old 11-09-2021, 09:09 AM

26,231 posts, read 49,100,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
.... will probably find themself pondering the greenness of the grass in the roadside drainage ditch while stuck in a traffic jam on a very regular basis because those houses are typically pretty far out on an overwhelmed road network
The down side of "no income tax" states like FL and TN and TX. Been to all three, don't even want to visit them again.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:40 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,837,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The down side of "no income tax" states like FL and TN and TX. Been to all three, don't even want to visit them again.
I don't understand the connection.... explain .

Here's the whole list... anymore on the do not visit list?
Wyoming.
Washington.
Texas.
South Dakota.
Nevada.
Florida.
Alaska
In addition, Tennessee and New Hampshire limit their tax to interest and dividend income, not income from wages.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:34 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,898,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Such faulty thinking though. Roads are largely paid for by gas taxes, registration fees and federal money. Lack of state income tax makes little difference. Florida and Texas roads where congested are the same as some Colorado roads, too many cars on the road with not enough capacity for them during peak times.

And really what was so bad about visiting those places? I have no desire to live in them or spend long periods in them, but each of those states have nice enough areas for an occasional visit.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:55 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,206,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Such faulty thinking though. Roads are largely paid for by gas taxes, registration fees and federal money.
It's rarely that straightforward. Road taxes don't tend to pay for upgrade/expansion/replacement, and federal money is usually on a matching/partial basis, and that money comes (if ever) from general funds.

States that choke off a major revenue source show the consequences, even though they can be masked for a time by, say, a boom in oil lease/tax revenue. A great number of California's problems over the last few decades can be traced directly to the revenue choke of Prop 13.

Old 11-09-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
It's rarely that straightforward. Road taxes don't tend to pay for upgrade/expansion/replacement, and federal money is usually on a matching/partial basis, and that money comes (if ever) from general funds.

States that choke off a major revenue source show the consequences, even though they can be masked for a time by, say, a boom in oil lease/tax revenue. A great number of California's problems over the last few decades can be traced directly to the revenue choke of Prop 13.
It's not about how much in taxes is collected, it's about how government spends it. If the argument is more money makes things better or best... then it must be measurable and provable.

Florida has the #1 Higher education system in the country 5 years running and spends way less than many high tax states. How do you explain that? using your logic?

Old 11-09-2021, 11:26 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,206,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
It's not about how much in taxes is collected, it's about how government spends it. If the argument is more money makes things better or best... then it must be measurable and provable.
As most such positions devolve (after considerable argument) to "government spending it on things *I* think are important", I'll leave you to it.

Old 11-09-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
As most such positions devolve (after considerable argument) to "government spending it on things *I* think are important", I'll leave you to it.
We have examples... do we not? Fiscal responsibility can be measured. Efficiency of government can be measured. There's a discussion to be had for those who want to explore or compare ideas.

However to your point... the less government control, the better from my perspective. We can compare like for like spending. I brought up education, but there's more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado