Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 11:27 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
At the volume store buy them in they cost them less then a penny each. (Plastic) Paper bags are around 3 cents each.

Funny Story. ... Boston has had a bring your own bag for a while, Stopped into a store to pickup a few thing with my bag, (a plastic bag from different store. Due to COVID, they could not use it, she had me put it in the recycle/trash? bin, and then took new bag and put my stuff in it. No bag 5cents each, Bring bag, toss it, New bag free. Person behind me just took a hand full of them out of the recycle bin, then tossed it back in to get there clean bag.

BTW: Tests have been done on the canvas bags, and most tested high in bacteria.
That’s why I’m not thrilled about using cloth bags, though I do bring canvas totes sometimes. We reuse the “single use” bags religiously at home. If they have tears or holes, they get tossed, but otherwise they can be reused. They’re good for containing and closing up breakfast’s banana peel, veggie trimmings, and any other smelly items. Those get put in the 13-gal kitchen trash bag for once-a-week disposal together. Anything recyclable is first taken out and put in a box for that purpose.

Rather than cloth bags, I’d rather take a flexible, collapsible plastic container that can be quickly washed and dried. Heavy-duty cloth takes too long to dry.

This ban on plastic bags is going to engender a world of...other plastic containers!

Sorry, but kraft paper SUCKS for reuse, and often for even one untorn use. And they totally crap out if any wetness soaks them.

We used to scoop our dogs’ poop (when they pooped on walks instead of in the kennel) in biodegradable plastic-like bags. I was extremely skeptical of how sturdy and leakproof these were. They were far better than any plastic bags we had tried! Wanna find out how poorly things such as single-use bags and newspaper plastic tubes protect your hands? Scoop the poop with any of those and SMELL your hand after you take it out of the plastic. GROSS. Then do the same with these biodgradable (some kind of corn product) bags—no stink on your hands.

They even come with a perfumed version but it is totally unnecessary.

Yep. We went from food bags to dog poop bags in the blink of a post. The miracle of plastic-like substances. Would you put your dog poop in a paper bag?

Old 12-17-2022, 11:51 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I have always washed my very sturdy, heavy duty canvas-type bags. Just sayin'...I'm perfect in many ways.

Old 12-18-2022, 01:18 PM

334 posts, read 420,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
BTW: Tests have been done on the canvas bags, and most tested high in bacteria.
So? Most things are high in bacteria. Without information about what kinds of bacteria, this is meaningless. Most bacteria are harmless to humans.

Old 12-18-2022, 02:28 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
So? Most things are high in bacteria. Without information about what kinds of bacteria, this is meaningless. Most bacteria are harmless to humans.
e-coli I think was reported. Maybe others,

Old 12-18-2022, 02:31 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Every public keyboard has bacteria on it. Including e coli.

Old 12-19-2022, 07:56 AM

334 posts, read 420,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Every public keyboard has bacteria on it. Including e coli.
Yep. There's also fecal bacteria on your toothbrushes, y'all.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:53 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Yep. There's also fecal bacteria on your toothbrushes, y'all.
Yes, it tends to be just about everywhere. I once saw a doctor on the Oprah show state that most hot tubs are just a big bowl of fecal stew, especially public hot tubs at gyms, motels and facilities serving the public. (Never thought I'd use that story here, but I guess if I hang around long enough I'll have an opportunity to use all my factoids.)
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:44 AM

385 posts, read 323,794 times
Article in Colorado Sun on the plastic bag ban, and note also, that in another year, a ban kicks in on styrofoam:

https://coloradosun.com/2022/12/22/c...m_medium=email

Good riddance

Old 12-22-2022, 01:10 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
In CA we have been paying for years. Its 10 cents a bag & i just save & reuse mine. Paper bags cost the same.

Old 12-22-2022, 03:02 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Just curious, what do y'all use to line your trash cans with? Better yet, your small garbage pails you keep inside your kitchen? Canvas bags or do you buy (gasp) plastic liners?

I buy the plastic liners for the 33 gal. trash container that's in the garage. The small kitchen can I lined with a grocery store plastic bag and the same goes for the small waste baskets in the bathrooms.

I do have canvas bags I use at the store when I have a surplus of the plastic grocery ones that I use for the above purposes.

I'm not a goody two shoes but if people would use reason and common sense, we can work out problems that arise from issues such as this without government treating us like small children who need to be told what they can and cannot do. You need some liners for your small wastebaskets, have your groceries put in the plastic bags. You have plenty of them at home already for that use, then take your canvas bags in the stores.

Some people may dump food, etc. into a kitchen garbage can but more than likely that will be dumped into a plastic bag in the bigger container in the garage or outside somewhere as it waits for garbage day. I don't see that many people washing out their kitchen Rubbermaid trash cans every time they dump them but without a liner in there, that's what you are having to do.

So face it, the stores are not going to be furnishing you with free liners for your small waste baskets, instead you will be buying those little boxes of kitchen sized from the store, not because you want to for whatever reason, but because that will be all there is. Just another way to get you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado