Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 03:25 PM

63 posts, read 87,840 times

Advertisements

When they instituted this in Boulder many years ago, my small local grocery store had cardboard boxes at the checkout area for people who forgot their bags. I got used to bringing my own eventually then moved to the western slope and got out of the habit. Hopefully it'll come back easily enough.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:39 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,201,780 times
In NJ I purchased my own before the started to make the new law then covid came and that blew that.
Now when I buy online I have to pay for cheap cheezy fabric bags that the handles break all to easily. Now I have to many from when I did order online and they refuse to listen to me and use a plastic crate.

If they let the delivery person use a shopping cart of their own like a foldable flatbed style then they wouldn't break their backs trying to carrying everything. But no the azzhats in charge won't do that either. Having their own cart makes using a crate easy and the bags they use in the crates, if they use their own bags, can be reusable. I swear they do this to keep charging extra by forcing the customers to pay for fabric bags all the time. Geez even bottled water has to go into one of those bags. What a waste.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,150,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Brainstorming here- other suggestions welcome!
The research shows that the ban on grocery bags leads to 55-80% increase in purchase of a small trash can liners - which are twice thicker than grocery store bags - which means we didn’t really eliminate plastic, just it costs more to consumers

https://techcrunch.com/2022/03/30/plastic-bag-bans/
1st, make it a point to generate less trash.
2nd, Use fewer, Bio degradable trash bags,
6 Best Biodegradable and Compostable Garbage Bags
https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/hom...-garbage-bags/
3rd... support and encourage and educate your communiity on sustainable and effective recycling (not lip-stick recycling, as in most of USA. Seperate your recyclables, yet they ALL go to the same landfill and get combined with your trash. I found that true, even with some commercial hazardous waste I took in. Bagged it in special bags, got a permit, hazmat gear... and it got dumped and combined with all other common garbage.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:03 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,305,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Why the poor can't bring their own reusable/canvas bags? Everyone has some of those.
They spend their money on important stuff like cigs and lattery tix, so no money for bags. And that's why they're poor.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:46 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,206,258 times
Are we getting dumb? Can’t we find a way to properly recycle things? You know, technology?

What about a wild idea - to pay people for their recyclables? You know, capitalism?

Old 12-30-2022, 07:07 AM

15,505 posts, read 7,538,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Are we getting dumb? Can’t we find a way to properly recycle things? You know, technology?

What about a wild idea - to pay people for their recyclables? You know, capitalism?
Plastic bags do not recycle well at all. In general recycling, the bags clog up the machines and bring everything to a stop.

Not all recyclables are worth paying for. Plastic bags are an excellent example.

Old 12-30-2022, 07:24 AM

2,888 posts, read 7,141,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
They spend their money on important stuff like cigs and lattery tix, so no money for bags. And that's why they're poor.
Turns out that that's not the problem
Everything you need to know about Denver's new bag fee

Quote:
Is anyone exempt from this rule?

People who use assistance programs like SNAP or EBT do not have to pay the fee.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:36 PM

61,857 posts, read 87,314,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Plastic bags do not recycle well at all. In general recycling, the bags clog up the machines and bring everything to a stop.

Not all recyclables are worth paying for. Plastic bags are an excellent example.
They CAN recycle well, but most stores use bags made of materials that can't be recycled.

Old 01-02-2023, 04:13 AM

6,485 posts, read 3,173,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Did you know?

After a shopping stop at King Soopers, I found a flyer in the bag reminding us that starting in January, there will be a statewide fee for bags.

BYOB! (bring your own bag)
At least you'll be able to get bags, in which to bring home your purchases! In NY, the Governor outlawed plastic bags, a couple of years ago, so no matter where you shop, they simply hand you your sales receipt and whatever you bought, except for a handful of stores that have paper bags..........

Old 01-02-2023, 08:45 AM

2,888 posts, read 7,141,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
At least you'll be able to get bags, in which to bring home your purchases! In NY, the Governor outlawed plastic bags, a couple of years ago, so no matter where you shop, they simply hand you your sales receipt and whatever you bought, except for a handful of stores that have paper bags..........
only through 2023; in 2024 stores won't be allowed to provide bags
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado