Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:50 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
There is nothing wrong with it. If you choose the drive that is your rightful choice. However it is getting more and more expensive to drive a car especially with the gas prices soaring once again and there is also monthly car payments, insurance and upkeep etc. to consider. Besides that there are traffic clogged highways and the more traffic there is ( esp. with aggressive and dangerous drivers or drivers on the cell phone or texting) the more of a risk of being in a car crash.
Isn't Columbus now the largest city in the western hemisphere without rail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 10:14 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,105 times
As in any type of rail, yes. Light rail, no. You still have places like Indianapolis that do not have light rail.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:04 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Isn't Columbus now the largest city in the western hemisphere without rail?
Unfortunately I believe so. We were in line to get rail service ( the 3 C line) but the newly elected governor shot it down.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:55 PM

158 posts, read 404,198 times
Why in the world would Columbus need rail? It's such a sprawaled out city and traffic is just not an issue around here. The 3 C project was a complete joke. Why would anyone want to take the train to Cleveland from Columbus? The average speed of that train would have been 40mph, it's faster to just drive. Would would you have done once you got to Cleveland? You would need to take a cab to get to your final destination. Then you have take a cab back to the train station. When you add up all the expenses, it becomes just as much as driving but less convenient. It's like saying we need a need a taller sky scraper downtown when everyone knows that that no one would occupy it and it would be nice to look at, but a complete waste of money.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:39 PM

That's ok, Ohio can die. This state is such a lost cause.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:20 PM

368 posts, read 638,457 times
why would someone in cincinnati or indianapolis..or toledo or pittsburgh want to take an amtrak train?its absurd columbus isnt connected to amtrak.there would be just as many riders out of columbus as indianapolis or toledo for gods sake..you can argue than none of these cities need train service but as long as my tax dollars are subsidizing amtrak i should be able to take a train from my city.i do agree that the 3 c route wasnt in columbus best interest..it wouldnt solve the problem of columbus not being directly linked to new york and chicago by passenger rail.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
why would someone in cincinnati or indianapolis..or toledo or pittsburgh want to take an amtrak train?its absurd columbus isnt connected to amtrak.there would be just as many riders out of columbus as indianapolis or toledo for gods sake..you can argue than none of these cities need train service but as long as my tax dollars are subsidizing amtrak i should be able to take a train from my city.i do agree that the 3 c route wasnt in columbus best interest..it wouldnt solve the problem of columbus not being directly linked to new york and chicago by passenger rail.
You hit the nail on the head. Amtrak cannot stand on it's own without your tax dollors and government subsidies. Why? Because there is no demand. Rail is dead. I just looked up a trip on Amtrak from Cinci to New York. It takes 16hrs and is $88 one way before taxes and fee's. Cinci to Chicago is a 10hr trip and is $42 one way before taxes. Why would anyone want to do that when you can fly and be there within 3hrs. You can get a round trip flight to NY for around $200 and to Chicago for around $160.

The bigger issue is why are your tax dollars subsidizing something so useless?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:57 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach123 View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Amtrak cannot stand on it's own without your tax dollors and government subsidies. Why? Because there is no demand. Rail is dead.
Except along the east coast--specifically, the Bos-Wash corridor, where Amtrak is hugely popular. But that's due to a confluence of factors, including an established and built-out rail network, and a corridor comprised of dense, urban cities (DC, Philly, NYC, Boston) where getting around sans car is an option.

That's really how rail is supposed to work. The problem with the U.S., particularly the central portion of the country, is that it is very spread out and not particularly well-connected. And cities like Columbus, Indy, Cleveland et al are heavily car-dependant cities, making it more challenging to move around in once one arrives there. Honestly, that's why cities configured the way Columbus is concern me from a long-term perspective. The U.S. is in the early stages of moving away from a car-centric culture, and sprawling, car-focused metropolises stand to
absorb a disproportionate share of the negative impacts of such a societal transition. We don't yet know what the replacement will be for the gasoline-powered automobile, but denser cities with established transit infrastructure are in a better position to handle such a transition more effectively and efficiently than those without those qualities.

I'll point out that the airline industry is also heavily reliant upon government subsidies--in the form of billions of dollars in direct subsidies, bailouts when one goes belly-up, prices that are negatively impacted by domestic protectionism, and an exemption from consumer protection laws. Pretty much any form of transportation--up to and including the auto industry--is reliant upon government subsidies, bailouts and/or favorable legislation in order to operate effectively on a mass scale.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:14 PM

Well Ohio has abandoned rail, so once the rest of the country gets their upgrades, Ohio better damn well upgrade its highway network. That idiot Kasich better do something. The guy has done nothing yet. He becomes governor soon; I better be impressed. Let's see how far Ohio goes after this.

We better have the best F'ing roads in the country. I want people to come to Ohio and enjoy our roads.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
That idiot Kasich better do something. The guy has done nothing yet.
#1. He is not even in office yet.
#2. Strickland has also done nothing and he has had way more time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus