Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach123 View Post
#1. He is not even in office yet.
#2. Strickland has also done nothing and he has had way more time.
He is not even in office yet and he already made himself look like a jackass. He better move this state forward. He has a few months to do so before he starts getting major heat for what he has already ruined, and I am not talking about the 3C. Politics, the job that everyone loves to hate you for what you do. Let's see what a Wall Street governor does for Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
That's ok, Ohio can die. This state is such a lost cause.
The state suffered because of its over-reliance on specific types of industry, like steel. Some areas are still struggling to diversify their economies. Columbus never had that problem, it goes through recession better than most cities, not just in Ohio, and continues to grow at a steady pace. That said, the state is certainly not a lost cause. We have the infrastructure and know-how to rebuild, and it will just take good leadership to get things done. You are welcome to leave. I invite you to, actually. The state certainly does not need anymore people who say nothing can be done.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
#1. He is not even in office yet.
#2. Strickland has also done nothing and he has had way more time.
Strickland is flawed, but he also faced the worst economy in a generation. There aren't very many places GLOBALLY that were able to do much. Considering, Ohio could've been in MUCH worse shape now than it really is. There was just an article in the Dispatch about how Ohio's major cities are bouncing back very fast.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:18 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The state suffered because of its over-reliance on specific types of industry, like steel. Some areas are still struggling to diversify their economies. Columbus never had that problem, it goes through recession better than most cities, not just in Ohio, and continues to grow at a steady pace. That said, the state is certainly not a lost cause. We have the infrastructure and know-how to rebuild, and it will just take good leadership to get things done. You are welcome to leave. I invite you to, actually. The state certainly does not need anymore people who say nothing can be done.
No, I am being sarcastic. Go read all my other posts on the forum, I do nothing but stick up for Ohio. So don't get there with me.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
No, I am being sarcastic. Go read all my other posts on the forum, I do nothing but stick up for Ohio. So don't get there with me.
Sorry, hard to know sometimes on here. There seem to be quite a few who come on just to bash the state. I love Ohio. It's not perfect, but I've lived in other places and they all have their own issues. It's all about what people make of it.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:59 AM

158 posts, read 404,235 times
Quote:
He is not even in office yet and he already made himself look like a jackass. He better move this state forward. He has a few months to do so before he starts getting major heat for what he has already ruined, and I am not talking about the 3C. Politics, the job that everyone loves to hate you for what you do. Let's see what a Wall Street governor does for Ohio.
Everytime the discussion goes to this topic, I always ask a question that no one seems to be able to answer. Since you seem to like to bash someone before even giving them a chance, I'll ask you the question. Please tell us all how your life has improved as a direct result of what Strickland has done for the state of Ohio in the last 4 years? Please list some examples.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 AM

158 posts, read 404,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Strickland is flawed, but he also faced the worst economy in a generation. There aren't very many places GLOBALLY that were able to do much. Considering, Ohio could've been in MUCH worse shape now than it really is. There was just an article in the Dispatch about how Ohio's major cities are bouncing back very fast.
You don't think the Dispatch would write a biased article, do you? Let's see, Ohio was in the top 10 of states most impacted by the recession and Cleveland was in the top 5 of cities NATIONALLY most impacted by the recession. I really don't see how Ohio made it through the recession any better than most places. Just because we made it through better than Detroit, isn't saying much.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
You don't think the Dispatch would write a biased article, do you? Let's see, Ohio was in the top 10 of states most impacted by the recession and Cleveland was in the top 5 of cities NATIONALLY most impacted by the recession. I really don't see how Ohio made it through the recession any better than most places. Just because we made it through better than Detroit, isn't saying much.
Considering that the Dispatch endorsed Kasich, I don't think they would go out of their way to write biased articles supporting Strickland. Besides, the study from the Dispatch article is readily available to you if you'd like to do the research. It wasn't even from Ohio, so maybe you should take a look at it before trashing it.

And I didn't say that Ohio made it through the recession better than most, only that the study showed Ohio's economy in its largest cities recovering at a much faster rate than most. Which pretty much implies that they were terrible to begin with and the only direction they could go was up. But honestly, Ohio's economy has been in bad shape for years, no matter if there was a Democrat or Republican in office. Not much has changed at the top.

Also, Kasich has not gotten into office yet, so it's not entirely certain how he will govern. That said, his actions so far are pretty controversial, from turning away $400 million to appointing oil and gas executives to oversee ODNR... which is like giving a fat man a tub of ice cream and expecting it to not get eaten.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:43 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
This is exactly correct.

And I don't see why people get all upset about that. What is wrong with driving a car?
There's nothing wrong with driving a car, but what to do for those who can't drive a car -- whether that be for financial, health or legal reasons -- yet wish to remain productive members of society (i.e. work)?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
You hit the nail on the head. Amtrak cannot stand on it's own without your tax dollors and government subsidies. Why? Because there is no demand. Rail is dead. I just looked up a trip on Amtrak from Cinci to New York. It takes 16hrs and is $88 one way before taxes and fee's. Cinci to Chicago is a 10hr trip and is $42 one way before taxes. Why would anyone want to do that when you can fly and be there within 3hrs. You can get a round trip flight to NY for around $200 and to Chicago for around $160.

The bigger issue is why are your tax dollars subsidizing something so useless?
I think you just explained why demand for Amtrak here in the Midwest is so light. Now, if we could improve existing Amtrak service (not referring to high-speed rail) to bring travel times in line with driving, how might that impact demand?

For example, I could take Amtrak from Indy to Chicago, but it would take 5 1/2 hours. I can get to downtown Chicago from my front door in about 3-3 1/2 hours. However, if I stay in a downtown hotel, the cost to park my car is very high. So, if I could get to Chicago in 3 1/2 hours on Amtrak, use the CTA to get around Chicago and save the parking fare, I'd do it all of the time.

As for the 3-C Connector, if the travel times were more in line with the amount of time it takes to drive between the cities, then I think it's a much different conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus