Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:51 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach123 View Post
Everytime the discussion goes to this topic, I always ask a question that no one seems to be able to answer. Since you seem to like to bash someone before even giving them a chance, I'll ask you the question. Please tell us all how your life has improved as a direct result of what Strickland has done for the state of Ohio in the last 4 years? Please list some examples.
How has it improved? I moved to Cleveland because I got a job with Progressive based in Cleveland. I moved here from Indiana, and Progressive had job openings. I have only lived here for two years, but I have seen major changes in Cleveland because Strickland knew investing in city cores was important. Now Kasich who is anti development will let our cities die off, and Ohio will once again have cities that are to the likes of Detroit.

Since you love to bash Strickland (which I don't know the guy so I don't care), how the hell is Kasich going to make Ohio THRIVE? I really want to know. Because I think we are going to really hurt. But, let's give it some time and see just how bad it gets here, but I really want to know. What are his plans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 AM

158 posts, read 404,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
How has it improved? I moved to Cleveland because I got a job with Progressive based in Cleveland. I moved here from Indiana, and Progressive had job openings. I have only lived here for two years, but I have seen major changes in Cleveland because Strickland knew investing in city cores was important. Now Kasich who is anti development will let our cities die off, and Ohio will once again have cities that are to the likes of Detroit.

Since you love to bash Strickland (which I don't know the guy so I don't care), how the hell is Kasich going to make Ohio THRIVE? I really want to know. Because I think we are going to really hurt. But, let's give it some time and see just how bad it gets here, but I really want to know. What are his plans?
I'm not sure I understand what you getting a job with Progressive has anything to do with Strickland. Progressive has been in Cleveland since the 50's and I think is one of the biggest employers in Cleveland despite Strickland. It's really dissapointing what has happended to Clelveland over the years. They are the only city in the country to ever go bankrupt. The only person that has done anything for that city was Republican Geroge Voinovich who brought the city out of depression and bankruptcy in the 1980's the same time that Progressive was experiencing tremendous growth. I'm not sure what positive changes you see in Cleveland, because they have one of the worst economies in the country to the point where the City has become the punchline of many jokes over the years.

As for Kasich:
1. He wants fiscall responsibility in the state and a balanced budget.
2. He wants to cut wasteful spending (aka no train)
3. Wants to keep taxes low so you can have more money in your pocket
4. Wants to keep taxes low for companies so they can afford to hire more people. This means more jobs.
5. Wants to work on attracting companies to come to the state of Ohio through incentives. This means more jobs
6. Wants to Ohio to get their share of federal funds that will be used in the right way. This means instead of using federal funds to build a stupid train, use them for schools so our kids can have a proper education, put them toward the police force to keep crime under control. (You will recall that last year when the city Columbus had to lay off over 100 police officers, Strickland would not give any funds to the city to prevent this and back then he could have. Even though he had 400million sitting there for the stupid rail project. )

I can go on and on and on...

Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 AM

158 posts, read 404,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I think you just explained why demand for Amtrak here in the Midwest is so light. Now, if we could improve existing Amtrak service (not referring to high-speed rail) to bring travel times in line with driving, how might that impact demand?

For example, I could take Amtrak from Indy to Chicago, but it would take 5 1/2 hours. I can get to downtown Chicago from my front door in about 3-3 1/2 hours. However, if I stay in a downtown hotel, the cost to park my car is very high. So, if I could get to Chicago in 3 1/2 hours on Amtrak, use the CTA to get around Chicago and save the parking fare, I'd do it all of the time.

As for the 3-C Connector, if the travel times were more in line with the amount of time it takes to drive between the cities, then I think it's a much different conversation.
Clearly if you make rail more convenient and less expensive than driving there would be demand. The problem is that the people involved, mostly politicians, in the Ohio 3C project just had no common sense.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
As for Kasich:
4. Wants to keep taxes low for companies so they can afford to hire more people. This means more jobs.
5. Wants to work on attracting companies to come to the state of Ohio through incentives. This means more jobs
6. Wants to Ohio to get their share of federal funds that will be used in the right way. This means instead of using federal funds to build a stupid train, use them for schools so our kids can have a proper education, put them toward the police force to keep crime under control. (You will recall that last year when the city Columbus had to lay off over 100 police officers, Strickland would not give any funds to the city to prevent this and back then he could have. Even though he had 400million sitting there for the stupid rail project. )

Yeah, good luck with all that. I can't stand people who tow a party line. Democrats and the GOP alike have been awful for Ohio the last few decades at the top level. How soon you forget the likes of Bob Taft. And I don't believe Strickland could use the money for anything but the train, so I'm not sure why you expected him to use that money to save city jobs... which btw, were saved in part because Mike Coleman went and lobbied in Washington for the funds and Columbus citizens overwhelmingly approved a tax increase (in a recession, no less) to keep city services going. Most of what was cut was reinstituted as promised, and a few other services, like recycling programs, will begin.

In any case, Kasich, so far, seems more interested in helping corporate interests. He thinks it's a great idea to drill in our state parks. Yeah, that always turns out well. And turning away the train money seemed more like a stunt. The money was just handed to other states. It's not like it went back to Washington to pay down debt or something. I guess Ohio can afford to lose hundreds of millions in investments. Any particular details on what he plans to do otherwise? The list you gave is just the generics that almost every politician in the US has promised in every single election. What is the actual plan??

Old 01-05-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand what you getting a job with Progressive has anything to do with Strickland. Progressive has been in Cleveland since the 50's and I think is one of the biggest employers in Cleveland despite Strickland. It's really dissapointing what has happended to Clelveland over the years. They are the only city in the country to ever go bankrupt. The only person that has done anything for that city was Republican Geroge Voinovich who brought the city out of depression and bankruptcy in the 1980's the same time that Progressive was experiencing tremendous growth. I'm not sure what positive changes you see in Cleveland, because they have one of the worst economies in the country to the point where the City has become the punchline of many jokes over the years.

As for Kasich:

Me working for Progressive.... That meant I got a job with the company because it had openings. Cleveland has a stable budget, over 2 billion dollars with of projects get underway this month, an 8.5% unemployment rate, far below the national average. Come on dude, learn your facts. You obviously are a Republican, I am neither, but I won't spout off lies to make one party look better. Cleveland is one of the better off cities right now.

I don't know what Strickland did, but it seemed like he was doing something a lot different with this state than others did, and I saw positives happening. John Kasich seems like a radical who wants to go back to the old ways of doing things. If he can make positive change, I am all for it, but I don't see that happening. People are already being put off by his current actions.

You keep bringing up the train... why?!? That discussion is over obviously. So stop bringing it up. I want to know more of what Kasich is going to do, he is obviously going to be the next governor. Is he going to invest in the cities? Going to invest in the city cores? Is he going to upgrade Ohio's transportation options so we don't continue to fall behind? How many more jobs will come with this guy? Will our unemployment rate continue to drop and go below the national average? How many big scale projects does this guy have planned?

Old 01-05-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Yeah, good luck with all that. I can't stand people who tow a party line. Democrats and the GOP alike have been awful for Ohio the last few decades at the top level. How soon you forget the likes of Bob Taft. And I don't believe Strickland could use the money for anything but the train, so I'm not sure why you expected him to use that money to save city jobs... which btw, were saved in part because Mike Coleman went and lobbied in Washington for the funds and Columbus citizens overwhelmingly approved a tax increase (in a recession, no less) to keep city services going. Most of what was cut was reinstituted as promised, and a few other services, like recycling programs, will begin.

In any case, Kasich, so far, seems more interested in helping corporate interests. He thinks it's a great idea to drill in our state parks. Yeah, that always turns out well. And turning away the train money seemed more like a stunt. The money was just handed to other states. It's not like it went back to Washington to pay down debt or something. I guess Ohio can afford to lose hundreds of millions in investments. Any particular details on what he plans to do otherwise? The list you gave is just the generics that almost every politician in the US has promised in every single election. What is the actual plan??

Great post! I love how everyone expected the $400 million to go to save something else other than the train. The money was made specifically for the train.

The GOP and Democrats have killed this state. I will root for anyone who brings good ideas to the table for positive change, and I honestly think Ohio is going to be worse off with Kasich. I truly hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling I am not.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Great post! I love how everyone expected the $400 million to go to save something else other than the train. The money was made specifically for the train.

The GOP and Democrats have killed this state. I will root for anyone who brings good ideas to the table for positive change, and I honestly think Ohio is going to be worse off with Kasich. I truly hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling I am not.
I basically feel the same way. I don't care what party is in power so long as they bring ideas to the table that make sense. Kasich, while still up in the air for the most part, has not shown a lot of promise so far. His first few moves have been very disappointing. He's basically killed investments and put us behind other states that are more than happy to add infrastructure. Not to mention acting like Ohio is going to drill its way out of unemployment, even though, last time I checked, the state stopped being a major source of fossil fuels right around the time Rockefeller made his first billion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus