Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 06:06 AM

490 posts, read 864,351 times

Advertisements

Strong population growth for the area. Of note, 1/3 of all new immigrants to Ohio are coming to Columbus.

Central Ohio drives Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 11:24 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
Strong population growth for the area. Of note, 1/3 of all new immigrants to Ohio are coming to Columbus.

Central Ohio drives Ohio
Was just going to post this.

Franklin County is the 45th fastest growing county in the entire country when it comes to numerical growth. It was 410th for % growth, largely because it's already one of the top 40 most populated counties.

Some other numbers from the article:

Franklin County added 13,010, with 23.2% of those new residents being from other nations. One has to think that the majority of these residents came to Columbus and not just the county.

Delaware County's growth has slowed, but is still the fastest in the state. I have to think the slowdown is for two reasons: suburbia is no longer as popular and fewer people are moving overall. Even the fast-growing Sun Belt mostly saw their growth rates slow down too. Las Vegas dropped off a cliff and added only marginally more people than the Columbus metro.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:53 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Las Vegas dropped off a cliff and added only marginally more people than the Columbus metro.
I noticed that as well.

Those apartments at Columbus Commons look nice by the way.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:37 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post

Central Ohio drives Ohio
(1) i.e., 10 out of 30 (?)

(2) i.e., mostly Somalian (?)

(3) just wondering (?)

Old 04-08-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
(1) i.e., 10 out of 30 (?)

(2) i.e., mostly Somalian (?)

(3) just wondering (?)
That quote about the 1/3rd was from the Dispatch article, but didn't list a specific number, and was the for the entire metro. However, for Franklin County alone, almost 25% of all the people moving to the county in the last year were foreign-born.

Columbus does have the 2nd largest African immigrant community in the nation, just behind Minneapolis, but there are also large, growing Latino and Asian populations, particularly Indian Asians. I haven't seen a breakdown of where these particular immigrants are coming from, however. The only thing I have on that is from the 2010 Census, but that doesn't include the last two years.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I noticed that as well.

Those apartments at Columbus Commons look nice by the way.
Well, the concept and location are nice, and another large boost for Downtown. These will no doubt help the empty storefronts on the other side of High. I think with this announcement, most if not all of those vacant spaces will be snatched up within the next year or so.

On the downside, the renderings on the architecture are rather bland and I don't think it really fits into the character of Downtown. They're basically just brick, square boxes with very little detailing. Hopefully the Downtown commission will require them to make some alterations to the design. I also wish they were a bit taller. However, with so many other available surface lots to build on Downtown, height will come. The corner lot still available on the park is to have an office building, and with the miminum space requirements, will have to be at least 20 stories.

There's another surface lot along High and just south of the park, next to the old City Center garage. This lot is not that wide, but it's long, and the owner wants to sell it for development as well.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:39 PM

Residential Development in Casto Building at Main & Front « Columbus Underground Messageboard

Looks like work has begun at converting the large, very ugly storage building at the corner of Front and Main into residential. No official announcement has been given, but it's been talked about for awhile now.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 AM

Restaurateur to dish out pizzas at Columbus Commons - Columbus - Business First

Along with other development there, retail and restaurants continue to be added in the area.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:15 AM

http://www.dispatch.com/content/blog...ing-rents.html

I put this in the development thread for one reason: shrinking inventory of rentals in high demand areas (Downtown, SN, etc) mean only one thing in the long term, and that's more development. The article states that the Columbus rental market is tighter now than all but 8 other US cities. With that kind of market, you can expect developers to come up with more proposals, and soon.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:17 PM

The Tavern Coming Soon to Olde Towne East

New bar and restaurant opening in Olde Towne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus