Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM

66 posts, read 184,923 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Chicago... then moved to Nashville for a while, and in Nashville I met my wife. She was from Charlotte originally. Now we both live in Columbus. From visits and sharing our lives together in all of these places... I would most definitely choose Columbus.. especially for the longterm move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 10:18 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I don't see crime worse in CLT than Columbus. I guess if you are living in the bad part of town you may be likely to see crime. There is alot of illegal immigrants due to the growth and past construction jobs which have slowed down. Some of the illegals are heading back to home country because of decline in job market.
HUGE misconception! Crime IS worse in CLT - and because the economy is worse there than here the crime has risen as well. Illegals are NOT leaving these areas in large numbers to head back "home" - why would they when life is better in the US even without work - healthcare, education and social services are still free for the taking!

There was a big uproar in ATL a few weeks surrounding the Dialysis clinic at Grady Hospital (THE trama center for the metro area). They wanted to close that clinic because it was BLEEDING money. Come to find out, the uproar came from the patients and their advocates (lawyers), appears that the overwhelming majority of the dialysis patients were ILLEGAL immigrants. Grady even offered to fly them back to their home country and find them a clinic, but illegals still balked.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:22 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
HUGE misconception! Crime IS worse in CLT - and because the economy is worse there than here the crime has risen as well. Illegals are NOT leaving these areas in large numbers to head back "home" - why would they when life is better in the US even without work - healthcare, education and social services are still free for the taking!

There was a big uproar in ATL a few weeks surrounding the Dialysis clinic at Grady Hospital (THE trama center for the metro area). They wanted to close that clinic because it was BLEEDING money. Come to find out, the uproar came from the patients and their advocates (lawyers), appears that the overwhelming majority of the dialysis patients were ILLEGAL immigrants. Grady even offered to fly them back to their home country and find them a clinic, but illegals still balked.
%$#^ those illegals, they ruin everything.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,809 times
When people arrive in Columbus, Ohio and mention that they are from another city or area of the country, such as Denver, Atlanta or Boston, people in Columbus either:1.) Have a look on their face and act like they have no idea of where that is or anything about that city or area of the country (including other cities and areas of Ohio). They act totally ignorant about anyplace outside the Columbus Bubble and for a good reason, they are. The visitor or newcomer just shake their head and call Columbus a certain type town.2.) Act very rude, narcissistic and arrogant, with an attitude that their hometown is better than everyone else's. This unfriendly attitude tends to **** off people who are from other places outside the Columbus Bubble. Instead of welcoming people to Columbus, they are down right rude to them. Then when the visitor or newcomer, realizes that the rude and arrogant person was born and raised in Columbus and has never left the Columbus Bubble, they just shake their head and call Columbus a certain type town.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary444xyz View Post
When people arrive in Columbus, Ohio and mention that they are from another city or area of the country, such as Denver, Atlanta or Boston, people in Columbus either:1.) Have a look on their face and act like they have no idea of where that is or anything about that city or area of the country (including other cities and areas of Ohio). They act totally ignorant about anyplace outside the Columbus Bubble and for a good reason, they are. The visitor or newcomer just shake their head and call Columbus a certain type town.2.) Act very rude, narcissistic and arrogant, with an attitude that their hometown is better than everyone else's. This unfriendly attitude tends to **** off people who are from other places outside the Columbus Bubble. Instead of welcoming people to Columbus, they are down right rude to them. Then when the visitor or newcomer, realizes that the rude and arrogant person was born and raised in Columbus and has never left the Columbus Bubble, they just shake their head and call Columbus a certain type town.
I love ridiculously broad generalizations such as this that are no doubt based upon very limited interaction. Columbus is a city with a regional population of nearly 2 million people. I lived there for 26 years, and never once did I encounter anything such as you describe--nor did I ever hear someone use the term "Columbus bubble." Perhaps the problem isn't the people of Columbus?

Old 10-02-2009, 03:34 PM

9 posts, read 23,401 times
Default LiveWorkPlayColumbus

If you are considering moving to Columbus, Ohio, I can offer you some resources to help you get connected. First, check out liveworkplayColumbus.com. It provides information and links to resources to help people get to know Columbus, from neighborhoods to arts & culture to information about the economy/industries/employers.

According to US News & World Report, America's soon-to-be retirees should consider Columbus, Ohio for their golden years. Great neighborhoods, access to arts & culture, excellent cost of living. Here's the link:

America's Best Affordable Places to Retire - US News and World Report

There are many, many people who live in Columbus who are just like you: they are from someplace else. And they love living here! Columbus is a community of great diversity so, no matter your background, you will likely find your place here. Welcome home!

Old 10-02-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea-ColumbusChamber View Post
If you are considering moving to Columbus, Ohio, I can offer you some resources to help you get connected. First, check out liveworkplayColumbus.com. It provides information and links to resources to help people get to know Columbus, from neighborhoods to arts & culture to information about the economy/industries/employers.

According to US News & World Report, America's soon-to-be retirees should consider Columbus, Ohio for their golden years. Great neighborhoods, access to arts & culture, excellent cost of living. Here's the link:

America's Best Affordable Places to Retire - US News and World Report

There are many, many people who live in Columbus who are just like you: they are from someplace else. And they love living here! Columbus is a community of great diversity so, no matter your background, you will likely find your place here. Welcome home!
Andrea, you do not contribute to the forum (nor contribute to the image of your city) when you copy and paste the same message in multiple threads. It's not at all helpful.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:26 AM

4 posts, read 12,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin Eater View Post
Well, I said traffic was better. I used to drive home throught the split every night, until they finished up 670. Now (well, 4 years ago) you can just take 670 to 71 to get past it and still get to 70 or 71. I've driven on I-77 not even in rush hour but before it or after it many times between FL and OH. It was bad (worse than the split) everytime.

Columbus has an excellent highway system compared to Orlando, Tampa, or Miami.
Lived in Both Orlando and currently in Columubus - very familiar with both - and this statement is absolutely true - C-town is much better in terms of traffic - but health overall_ i have to give to FL

Old 07-02-2010, 07:03 AM

174 posts, read 403,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I love ridiculously broad generalizations such as this that are no doubt based upon very limited interaction.
Kinda like your post two entries earlier?

Old 07-02-2010, 07:51 AM

269 posts, read 778,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
Kinda like your post two entries earlier?
I think it was sarcasm. I could be wrong though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus