Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:16 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,304 times

Advertisements

Forbes magazine (sorry - don't have the link) has ranked Charlotte the 9th most miserable city in the US.

I lived in Charlotte in the late 90's, I thought it was great. But that was 10 years ago - and they like most Southern city have seen big changes - not always good.

I personally would pick Columbus over Charlotte, and this is coming from a native Southerner...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 08:27 PM

150 posts, read 980,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west5548 View Post
Can't be my attitude, must be the state. Afterall Ohio did rank as one of the top most depressing states in the country. Must be the endless winters and lack of sunlight that makes everyone so happy here. You see a lot of license plates from Ohio down south and I have no idea why.....
Right, must be the state. I'm sure your sunny disposition has nothing to do with it. Do you spend much time on Mental Health America's website?

By the way, Denver has over 300 sunny days per year, but Colorado is ranked #34 in the study.

I have an idea why you see a lot of Ohio license plates down south. It's called VACATION! After all, it's my understanding that when one relocates to another state, he or she must register all vehicles in the new state, thus resulting in having to display said state's license plates. I too see plenty of out of state plates in Columbus. However, rather than attribute it to everyone hating the state they are from, I figure it's a combo of university students and people passing through. But that's just my logic.

Again, if it's so depressing, why not get one of the plentiful high-paying jobs in Charlotte instead of sticking it out in the depressing OH-IO for a few more years?

Life is way too short to be as unhappy as your posts seem to indicate. I hope your time in Ohio passes quickly and you have a safe move back to Charlotte.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 PM

119 posts, read 558,737 times
I love you 2006Buckeye

Old 02-12-2008, 11:53 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Buckeye View Post
Right, must be the state. I'm sure your sunny disposition has nothing to do with it. Do you spend much time on Mental Health America's website?

By the way, Denver has over 300 sunny days per year, but Colorado is ranked #34 in the study.

I have an idea why you see a lot of Ohio license plates down south. It's called VACATION! After all, it's my understanding that when one relocates to another state, he or she must register all vehicles in the new state, thus resulting in having to display said state's license plates. I too see plenty of out of state plates in Columbus. However, rather than attribute it to everyone hating the state they are from, I figure it's a combo of university students and people passing through. But that's just my logic.

Again, if it's so depressing, why not get one of the plentiful high-paying jobs in Charlotte instead of sticking it out in the depressing OH-IO for a few more years?

Life is way too short to be as unhappy as your posts seem to indicate. I hope your time in Ohio passes quickly and you have a safe move back to Charlotte.

Great post! LOL if we had a post of the day, this would be it. I guess people never heard of vacation. Ok here we go, Cedar Point, I see so many license plates from all over the Midwest, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa. They all must have moved to Ohio, I mean I see their license plates, that must mean they have moved here. I mean why would they drive all that way. Also, here in NE Ohio, you know how many plates I see from PA, New York and Mass here in Cleveland. LOTS!

North Carolina is a great state, don't get me wrong. Before college I wanted to move down south. I am going to college here in Ohio because of state residency, while going through college I have seen what Ohio has to offer, and there is a lot. One of the largest GSP (Gross State Product) in the nation. Over $400 billion. 7th in population. Large cities like Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati that have large fortune 500 companies. Ever hear of Nationwide, Progressive, Procter and Gamble, Hollister, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Macy's Inc? Just some, a few of the large companies that call Ohio home.

We have large cities, and beautiful country side. To some it may be crappy weather, but I enjoy a change in the seasons. In the summer I can go to the beach that is only half a mile from my house, and right now as I look out my study window I see the snow falling and snow sitting on the tree branches.

North Carolina is experiencing extreme growth right now. It takes away from that "attractive" lifestyle down there IMO. Charlotte seems way to out of control for me. The growth is probaly one reason why it was named 9th most misreable city in the country. Ohio is growing, not near that fast, I would take the slow growth over rapid growth anyday. Of course Ohio is seeing its cities expand, and urban sprawl take place, but not like southern states.

Columbus was voted excellent in many categories. One of the top 10 cities for business, new business growth, best major city for african americans, one of the most livable in the country. Columbus is growing at a great rate, not declining, not slow, not fast, just right.

My neighbors from New York, West Virginia and PA all have changed their license plates over to Ohio ones. I guess that means that when you see a car from another state, it doesn't mean that they live there right off the bat lol. Its called vacation lol.

I wish people could see what Ohio has to offer. I have said this before, "the grass isn't always greener."

Metro Growth:
18140,,"Columbus, OH",Metropolitan Statistical Area,"1,725,570","1,706,913","1,689,263","1,673,52 6","1,655,216","1,639,395","1,619,041","1,612,8 41

16740,,"Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC-SC",Metropolitan Statistical Area,"1,583,016","1,521,474","1,472,619","1,437,55 8","1,406,500","1,374,686","1,340,017","1,330,4 03

City Growth:

15,Columbus city,Ohio,
"733,203","729,748","728,033","727,383","722,893", "720,041","714,064","712,104","711,470"

20,Charlotte city, North Carolina,
"630,478","616,075","602,285","592,703","584,138", "575,956","564,738","566,975","540,828"

Charlotte is out of control. Columbus is currently the 15th most populated city in the country, looking to be 14th soon looking to pass up declining San Francisco.

Population Estimates - U.S. Census Bureau (http://www.census.gov/popest/estimates.php - broken link)

Old 02-12-2008, 10:47 PM

68 posts, read 284,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Wow, Charlotte better than Columbus?!?! Charlotte doesn't even have the cultural ammenities that Columbus has. Columbus isn't growing fast? That is news to me. They are growing at a very good rate. Charlotte is growing out of control and facing many problems that it didn't face the year before. This goes on every year for Charlotte. Charlotte has a terrible infrastructure, a decaying public transit. Charlotte is facing this because of the population growth. North Carolina is so overrated. I to wanted to leave Ohio, but as soon as I got to college I saw what Ohio had to offer. Give it 5-10 years and North Carolina will be another Florida. Too expensive to live in, crime rates out the roof, and over population and suburban sprawl.

We are already seeing Floridians move to Ohio, give it a decade and you will see North Carolinans move to Ohio. You don't even know the problems NC is facing now, wait until 5 years from now. North Carolina is depressing. The grass isn't greener on the other side people. Going through college, wanting to be an urban planner, I have visited many city councils and worked along side with them for training. Charlotte's was a joke. They don't even know how to handle the growth. Charlotte and NC are overrated.
This North Carolinian will NEVER move to Ohio. I've been from Gallipolis to Sylvania and found not one redeeming thing. The landscape for the most part is flat and boring. I was thanking the good lord above when I saw the "welcome to michigan" sign. Columbus is a JOKE as a college town. It's far inferior to Chapel Hill, Ann Arbor, East Lansing and even Raleigh. There's many OSU alumnus that would agree with me too that live down here.

And Charlotte has a decaying public transit system? Perhaps you've missed that Charlotte just opened a new train line, is thinking seriously about adding 3 more lines and has recently bolstered the bus system due to high demand. Yeah, we have issues with amount of people moving but hell, thats a good problem to have.

Dont let facts get in your way though!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:22 AM

186 posts, read 570,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Buckeye View Post

I spent 5 years in Phoenix AZ and the sunlight depressed me it was so constant. I looked forward to cloudy days and the 2 times per year that it actually rained. I got so sick and tired of the sun in my eyes all the time and having to run the A/C from March to November.

I moved to Ohio knowing there would be clouds and rain and I can now say after 2 years that I love it here. So there's some cloudy days, who cares. It's not like it's pitch black outside, there's plenty of light coming thru. Summers are great and the town is alive with people outdoors. Its great!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:29 AM

186 posts, read 570,106 times
[quote=west5548;2169229]
Charlotte does not have 6-8 months of winter, it's much QUOTE]

Are we talking about the same Columbus??? 8 months of winter??? Cut that ini half. More like 4-5 months max!!!

I moved here in 2006 and it's warm from April to the very end of October (trick or treating in a t-shirt) and you even get some good days in November. I should know, I moved from Phoenix AZ (endless summer) and know what warmth really is.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastoniaNative View Post
This North Carolinian will NEVER move to Ohio. I've been from Gallipolis to Sylvania and found not one redeeming thing. The landscape for the most part is flat and boring. I was thanking the good lord above when I saw the "welcome to michigan" sign. Columbus is a JOKE as a college town. It's far inferior to Chapel Hill, Ann Arbor, East Lansing and even Raleigh. There's many OSU alumnus that would agree with me too that live down here.

And Charlotte has a decaying public transit system? Perhaps you've missed that Charlotte just opened a new train line, is thinking seriously about adding 3 more lines and has recently bolstered the bus system due to high demand. Yeah, we have issues with amount of people moving but hell, thats a good problem to have.

Dont let facts get in your way though!
Charlotte is miserable. Fast population growth is NOT a good thing. You sit there and talk about it as if it were a miracle. Charlotte is hurting from this rapid growth. Who cares if you won't move to Ohio. And you thanked god that you entered Michigan?!?! An unemployment rate higher than any other state, one of only 3 states that is seeing a population decline, Michigan lost the most, 30,000. Charlotte just like Raleigh doesn't even have the road networks to meet with this growth, traffic jams are terrible down there. North Carolina is OVERRATED.

LOL Columbus inferior to Chapel Hill, Ann Arbor LMAO, and even better yet, Raleigh and East Lansing. Now that is funny. Your post showed your true knowledge on these cities, let alone the facts on some of the things you mentioned. Issues with population growth can be good, Columbus is growing at a great rate, but Charlotte's population is growing so fast infrastructure is crumbling.

North Carolina is going to be another Florida soon with this growth. I give it 10 years, maybe even sooner.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:47 PM

68 posts, read 284,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Charlotte is miserable. Fast population growth is NOT a good thing. You sit there and talk about it as if it were a miracle. Charlotte is hurting from this rapid growth. Who cares if you won't move to Ohio. And you thanked god that you entered Michigan?!?! An unemployment rate higher than any other state, one of only 3 states that is seeing a population decline, Michigan lost the most, 30,000. Charlotte just like Raleigh doesn't even have the road networks to meet with this growth, traffic jams are terrible down there. North Carolina is OVERRATED.

LOL Columbus inferior to Chapel Hill, Ann Arbor LMAO, and even better yet, Raleigh and East Lansing. Now that is funny. Your post showed your true knowledge on these cities, let alone the facts on some of the things you mentioned. Issues with population growth can be good, Columbus is growing at a great rate, but Charlotte's population is growing so fast infrastructure is crumbling.

North Carolina is going to be another Florida soon with this growth. I give it 10 years, maybe even sooner.
Infrastructure is crumbling? Man, even for an Ohioan you are slow.

Charlotte is rapidly expanding public transit and both interstates have been significantly widened within the past 10 years. I may have missed it but I didnt see any light rail trains in Columbus and the roads were equal to if not worse than Charlotte.

And Yeah, Columbus is a pretty sorry college town. All of the ones I listed above are better with Ann Arbor being the best.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:20 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastoniaNative View Post
Infrastructure is crumbling? Man, even for an Ohioan you are slow.

Charlotte is rapidly expanding public transit and both interstates have been significantly widened within the past 10 years. I may have missed it but I didnt see any light rail trains in Columbus and the roads were equal to if not worse than Charlotte.

And Yeah, Columbus is a pretty sorry college town. All of the ones I listed above are better with Ann Arbor being the best.
Wow, as a person from Ohio, I find you to be rather amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus