Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:26 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMJC_OH View Post
OK TRAVELER I APPRECIATE YOUR INSIGHT but how about you all get a perpective from someone who lived in OH for 30 years. Who also gained and then lossed due to the "slow and steady growth" (fact is our growth was not slow and steady at all) . I was born and raised in Cols OH- OSU all the way, I am a trade contractor who worked mostly on new homes. I started my business in 2001 working primarily on new homes, and it was growing rapidly with about 20 employees in a short time. Then in 2006 my business declined so hard and so fast that by the end of the year EVERYTHING I owned got reposesed and early in '07 I surrendered my house back to the bank and I had no choice but to file bankruptcy.

The fact is Columbus area averaged over 10,000 permits a year and were typically in the top 10 as fastest growing until 2006-07. I believe the number of permits are about 3,000 a year now. Most contrators like me can barley find enough work to keep themselves busy and no longer have a need for employees. Everyday another contractor is goin belly up or in the case of larger ones going thru large lay-offs. Ask anyone in construtcion- we are down right now. Our state is in top 5 or 6 in number of foreclosures. We have counties in OH where the bank owns half the houses in the county. Property is losing value not gaining. most property can be bought for 10% less than it couldv'e a few years ago. Unemployment is up. The only thing slow and steady is OH going backwards and its dreary winters.

Your commit about NC being bust in 10 years. Well people said that about Columbus since mid 1990's and it took about 20 years for our bubble to bust, and we are living in it now. But it is nothing like Florida's and I'm sure Charlotte's won't be either.

And as far as traffic, you all didn't live in Columbus before I-670, the easton/161 gateway, the 270 north widening, cause it was a mess about 10 years ago. Our road system didn't just appear one day- it took time and had to "catch up" to our growth as well. Actually last year I visited Raleigh and was impressed that the roads seemed to be ahead of the growth.

I can appreciate someone not wanting to live somewhere where the growth is as rapid as Charlotte- but for a tradesman like me, that is exactly what I am looking for. Not to mention it so hard to get work done when there is snow on the ground. The bottom line we all want a change from what we are sick of. The Floridians r sick of the Heat. SO the clouds and snow is a small price to pay. I am sick of clouds and snow but I also understand that
Florida heat is no fun either- therefore making somewhere like Charlotte a good compromise.

I stayed in OH because our growth was so good but now have nothing holding me back. I have been talking of moving to warmer climate for about 7 years and my spouse and I are looking hard at NC - Charlotte or Raleigh. If anyone has any advice or comments please post.
I see your point. Best of luck on your move, and I hope you find everything that you are looking for. Have you looked into South Carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 08:11 PM

10 posts, read 30,531 times
Default South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I see your point. Best of luck on your move, and I hope you find everything that you are looking for. Have you looked into South Carolina?
please do tell what SC has to offer,are there cities with strong growth there as well? We are open to any suggestions>>

Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post

I know I am rambling - but I thought I'd add my 2 cents since I have lived in both CLT & CMH.

Good luck with your decision.
thanks for your insight it has been very helpful- I would like to ask tho what kind of work are u in? Although weather is a big factor for us, my work is another- being in construction, the "hyper growth" can be helpful for our checking acct. please enlighten- your rambling is much obliged

Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 PM

Default hidden taxes?

Property taxes are lower in the South - put there are many hidden taxes and costs that people relocating rarely take into account. I have often wondered how long it would take before the South starts to realize that they HAVE to start raising taxes to accomodate for the tremendous growth any finally catch up!

Housing is not as cheap in NC as one might think - Atlanta is the better deal for real estate. Wages in the South are lower (we got a significant raise as an incentive to move to OH). Southern states typically don't have unions and are considered "right to fire" states.

Personally, I would love to stay in Columbus for many years. The area reminds me of Charlotte 15 years ago - smart growth with rural and city life in the mix. Sure you have your cold winter with snow here - but the heat even in NC in the summer is pretty brutal. There are many summer days that are too miserable to even be by the pool.

Good luck with your decision.[/quote]

can u expand on the "hidden costs" a little more, and also how long have u lived in cols?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:03 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,704 times
Quote:
And Yeah, Columbus is a pretty sorry college town. All of the ones I listed above are better with Ann Arbor being the best.
That is exactly what is wrong with your post. Columbus is not just a college town but a real city with a college town in it.

Try seeing a comparable symphony, live music, opera, or ballet performance in any of the college towns you listied. Columbus has all of that with the biggest University in the country in it.

And of course we have gentrified neighborhoods around our downtown all the way up to Ohio State. You cannot compare a small place like Lansing michigan or Ann Arbor to the entire city of columbus (with nearly 2 million in our metro.)

Old 03-11-2008, 09:14 AM

170 posts, read 476,342 times
After reading alot of these posts my take is that there is no utopia. I think arguing about which place is better is silly. Luckily people prefer different things about different places. I don't think it's about who is better than the other; it's what you prefer in a city. We all have different tastes thank goodness! It doesn't mean one is better than the other in general. It's what one prefers that matters. I was born and raised in Columbus and lived there most of my life. I've lived here in Tucson for 10 yrs and we are getting ready to relocate back to Columbus. My husband got a great job offer there. I love the dessert/hate the summers, love Ohio/hate the winters. But each city has so many wonderful attributes. I hope the OP finds the place that best suits their needs. Good luck to you!!! Peace

Old 03-11-2008, 12:28 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,304 times
[/quote]can u expand on the "hidden costs" a little more, and also how long have u lived in cols?[/quote]

I moved to Columbus early last Fall. Now granted I moved from Atlanta, but I still have immediate family & friends in NC. Out of curousity, being that I'm new to Ohio, I often contrast & compare costs. I was fearful that OH was rather pricey.

Hidden taxes in NC include "other" property taxes. In NC and GA (can't remember about SC) property just isn't your house (real estate), that also includes autos, boats, RV's. This tax is yearly - not just when you register your vehicle in the state for the first time. There is a one time registration fee ($200) per vehicle. Auto inspections are annual ($25) and plate renewal fee ($25) is yearly.

My property (house) taxes are higher here, I feel my money is better spent. I am much happier with schools here. Class sizes are smaller and the school itself isn't overcrowded. Schools in Charlotte are constantly struggling with redistricting due to overcrowding and growth. Raleigh has pretty much gone to year round with 4 different schedules. It all boils down to money - alot of school systems in the South just don't build enough schools nor do they spend enough per child on education. One thing I would consider if you do have kids is that NC has an excellent public university system (UNC system) that includes NC State, UNC Chapel Hill, East Carolina, Appalacian St, UNC-Charlotte, etc (I think 16 total). If you are a resident of NC, these institutions are excellent and economical.

There is a sales tax on food - yes FOOD. I can't recall the rates on other purchases - but pretty much a sales tax on everything.

Auto insurance is higher. NC to GA my car insurance stayed about the same. GA to OH may insurance dropped (in HALF). A friend in Durham NC says hers is double what mine is here in OH (comparable vehicle).

It still gets cold in NC - and my natural gas bill this Winter has obviously been higher. In the South you can run your AC from April to October - August & September are very hot and humid. Air quality / ozone is bad this time of year.

All in all - yes I think cost of living can be less expensive in the South - but not the huge savings one often thinks of. Granted I have only lived here 6 months - but I am constantly refering back to my bills from Atlanta.

Probably given you way more than you wanted - not enough in others.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:50 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMJC_OH View Post
thanks for your insight it has been very helpful- I would like to ask tho what kind of work are u in? Although weather is a big factor for us, my work is another- being in construction, the "hyper growth" can be helpful for our checking acct. please enlighten- your rambling is much obliged
Husband's job (nat'l accounting firm) moved us here. The choice was Columbus or Detroit - I think picked the winner by a landslide...

Construction - residential, commercial, roads?? (Illegal) immigration has a big impact on construction in the South - they have taken alot of jobs in this area. Georgia was cracking down on hiring companies if you hire illegals and you were bidding on a government contract.

I guess it really depends on the economy overall in the area you want to live in. Anyplace South will still see growth IMO. "Hyper growth" - the economy again is going to be questionable even in the South. I think Columbus has pretty good growth as well...

I often wondered, our nation has become so transient, is that going to change now? Is the credit crunch / mortgage meltdown going to slow people down. I was often amazed at the people from Midwest/Northeast that would sell their home and move South with NO job. With housing values dropping and a glut of homes, will people still risk it to move to greener pastures?

Last edited by GeminiGal; 03-11-2008 at 01:18 PM..

Old 03-11-2008, 04:38 PM

Default good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyR View Post
After reading alot of these posts my take is that there is no utopia. I think arguing about which place is better is silly. Luckily people prefer different things about different places. I don't think it's about who is better than the other; it's what you prefer in a city. We all have different tastes thank goodness! It doesn't mean one is better than the other in general. It's what one prefers that matters. I was born and raised in Columbus and lived there most of my life. I've lived here in Tucson for 10 yrs and we are getting ready to relocate back to Columbus. My husband got a great job offer there. I love the dessert/hate the summers, love Ohio/hate the winters. But each city has so many wonderful attributes. I hope the OP finds the place that best suits their needs. Good luck to you!!! Peace

completely agree good post

Old 03-11-2008, 04:40 PM

Default Atlanta?

can u expand on the "hidden costs" a little more, and also how long have u lived in cols?[/quote]

I moved to Columbus early last Fall. Now granted I moved from Atlanta, but I still have immediate family & friends in NC. Out of curousity, being that I'm new to Ohio, I often contrast & compare costs. I was fearful that OH was rather pricey.

Hidden taxes in NC include "other" property taxes. In NC and GA (can't remember about SC) property just isn't your house (real estate), that also includes autos, boats, RV's. This tax is yearly - not just when you register your vehicle in the state for the first time. There is a one time registration fee ($200) per vehicle. Auto inspections are annual ($25) and plate renewal fee ($25) is yearly.

My property (house) taxes are higher here, I feel my money is better spent. I am much happier with schools here. Class sizes are smaller and the school itself isn't overcrowded. Schools in Charlotte are constantly struggling with redistricting due to overcrowding and growth. Raleigh has pretty much gone to year round with 4 different schedules. It all boils down to money - alot of school systems in the South just don't build enough schools nor do they spend enough per child on education. One thing I would consider if you do have kids is that NC has an excellent public university system (UNC system) that includes NC State, UNC Chapel Hill, East Carolina, Appalacian St, UNC-Charlotte, etc (I think 16 total). If you are a resident of NC, these institutions are excellent and economical.

There is a sales tax on food - yes FOOD. I can't recall the rates on other purchases - but pretty much a sales tax on everything.

Auto insurance is higher. NC to GA my car insurance stayed about the same. GA to OH may insurance dropped (in HALF). A friend in Durham NC says hers is double what mine is here in OH (comparable vehicle).

It still gets cold in NC - and my natural gas bill this Winter has obviously been higher. In the South you can run your AC from April to October - August & September are very hot and humid. Air quality / ozone is bad this time of year.

All in all - yes I think cost of living can be less expensive in the South - but not the huge savings one often thinks of. Granted I have only lived here 6 months - but I am constantly refering back to my bills from Atlanta.

Probably given you way more than you wanted - not enough in others.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus