Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Columbus 61 56.48%
Raleigh-Durham 47 43.52%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:30 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The same government that legislates against climate change... yeah I'm sure they have education as a top priority when they thumb their noses at actual science. "Don't worry about coastal erosion, folks, we outlawed it!"

The GOP is ruining NC. Only extreme conservatives would believe otherwise.

The GOP is ruining many states. NC is a special target.

All the right wingers from the North East and Midwest who are searching for a modern day Mayberry. filled with mini McMansions wrapped in vinyl, with those ugly curved plastic windows?

They are not helping matters either.

Look at Bexley, and Grandview, if you like Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 08:41 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Those movies are all terrible.

You do know there are places called "New York City" and "Los Angeles", right? Do a quick google search on all the movies and tv shows filmed there. A few celebrities live in those places too.

I know! Awful movies.

"NASCAR and Pepsi"? Oh. OK. Not exactly high brow stuff.

Oberlin. The Underground Railroad. (major stop) Kenyon. Beautiful architecture and well built homes from the 20s and before.

No history of slavery. I count that as a huge plus. Add The Cleveland Clinic for good measure.

State Universities? We have OSU.

'nuf said.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:20 AM

29 posts, read 58,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I know! Awful movies.

"NASCAR and Pepsi"? Oh. OK. Not exactly high brow stuff.

Oberlin. The Underground Railroad. (major stop) Kenyon. Beautiful architecture and well built homes from the 20s and before.

No history of slavery. I count that as a huge plus. Add The Cleveland Clinic for good measure.

State Universities? We have OSU.

'nuf said.
Oh has a screen gems,O my stars.?? Those are few movies I mention from right off top. Is OSU the college? Slavery? Slavery is even bigger now. When we wake up to go to work for this system!

Old 08-21-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
My point (which I didn't think I really needed to explain, but whatevs) is that if you're going to brag about movies being filmed in your state, at least have them be good movies and realize that if you're not NYC or LA, you should probably just drop the movie/TV argument for superiority.

Got it?
Oh ok so add that in my argument next time. Lol it's irrelevant this is an OH and NC thread.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy919 View Post
in a few more years it won't matter....they'll both be the same. in the last 5+ years:
fifth-third bank bought a NC bank and is now all over the Triangle and Charlotte-Meck regions
Kroger bought NC-based Harris-Teeter grocery store company
Donatoes opened a store in Raleigh
Penn Station subs has come to the Triangle area
Jets pizza is now in the area
Columbus' very own "City Barbeque" opened its first out-of-state store in Cary, NC (a Raleigh suburb).....a yankee BBQ restaurant coming to NC and opening up....??! that takes guts! and of course the place stays packed with business, naturally.
there are at least 2 Buckeyes fan/alumni clubs in the Triangle....one official and one unofficial
but, at least the starting QB's in the Triangle college football teams aren't out for the season....ooooh that hurt.
you ohio people are taking over.
shoot....next I expect to see a gold star or skyline open up....
I just wish a Graeter's ice cream place would open up down here....Raleigh needs better choices for a good ice cream joint.
PLEASE TELL THEM.... Ohioans are on a crusade here in the Triangle. But it's better in OH lol.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The GOP is ruining many states. NC is a special target.

All the right wingers from the North East and Midwest who are searching for a modern day Mayberry. filled with mini McMansions wrapped in vinyl, with those ugly curved plastic windows?

They are not helping matters either.

Look at Bexley, and Grandview, if you like Columbus.
I can't even argue this statement the grand old party is..... I'll keep my comments about them to myself.
However I did vote for our current Gov, 2nd dumbest mistake I've in my lifetime.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
So true, I am sick of cornhole.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:23 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinowise View Post
I can't even argue this statement the grand old party is..... I'll keep my comments about them to myself.
However I did vote for our current Gov, 2nd dumbest mistake I've in my lifetime.
Before I comment on everything else...Pat McCrory was actually a likeable Republican when he was mayor of Charlotte (I lived there during his mayorship). He helped push for the Lynx Light Rail System...he was a huge booster for downtown development...creating a more true urban core and urban city...he lost to Bev Perdue in 2008 barely in that state election for Governor...I remember a lot of it was because the eastern parts of the state had so much power in Raleigh that they fought tooth and nail to keep it from a Charlottean...
Somehow Pat changed in the following 4 yrs and became everything that is wrong w/ the GOP and Tea Party....Party first instead of working across the aisle...so yeah if you voted for him, hindsight is 20/20 but remembering how he was as Charlott's mayor, had I lived in NC, I may have voted for him too. And I'm quite a liberal Democrat. Charlotte and Asheville are the only truly liberal cities though in NC. And Charlotte is not that liberal compared to most Northern and Midwestern big cities. Asheville comes close but is more like a Boulder, CO...a birkenstock kind of place.

Now for the comparisons...OP wanted comparisons of certain things...I've visited Raleigh enough to know it fairly well and am now living my second stint in OH...so I feel I can answer this objectively.
1 Public Transportation...sucks in both places...neither city has light rail or even street cars...but Columbus does have a far superior bus system...Advantage Columbus
2. Amenities...Depends what you are looking for regarding amenities...Raleigh has better parks imo, but Columbus has better museums and Columbus has one of the best zoos in the nation...I don't even thing NC has a zoo in the state. Raleigh sits a couple hrs inland from the coast and about 2 hrs from the mountains...while Columbus is disadvantaged in that regard, it does sit w/in 2 hrs of Lake Erie which as some nice areas...it also sits w/in 2 hrs of 4 other really nice ciites Cincy, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, & Indy...Richmond and Charlotte are the only big cities w/in 2 hrs of Raleigh...Columbus is also 2 hrs away from the best amusement park in the world, Cedar Point....so here I think its a slight edge to Columbus overall.
3. Weather advantage goes to Raleigh...Raleigh gets a couple inches of snow maybe once every 3 yrs (same in Charlotte)...Columbus gets 30" per year..Winter only lasts from Dec through Feb in Raleigh...instead of Nov through Mar here...you'll never see freezing temps in April or Oct in Raleigh, you will in Columbus. Raleigh certainly gets more hot and humid for 3-4 months in summer but it's not on the scale you find in Florida or Texas.
4. Entertainment...both cities have their party areas w/ loud obnoxious bars...Raleigh has a big Amphitheater...I think Columbus closed theirs...but Columbus seems to get more national acts touring through...especially alternative rock groups...both places have a theater for musicals...both have 1 pro sports team in the NHL Raleigh has more colleges yes but none are as good as Ohio STate is at athletics. OSU routinely wins more football games than Duke and UNC combined.
5. School/Colleges...Ohio hands down is much better at primary education...even w/ our unconstitutional funding that the state legislature has refused to fix..educationally, Raleigh's universities are better...Duke and UNC are both Top 20 universites...OSU is Top 50 and while I feel the quality of education is the same at most universities, it may be behind those 2 especially..
6. Architecture...Raleigh is suburban sprawl and cookie cutter McMansions...While Metro Columbus has plenty of that...it also does have many great neighborhoods w/ homes of lots of character...Columbus easily wins thsi
7. Politics...Columbus is far more progressive/liberal...while both state governments are controlled by conservatives, Columbus has a very liberal city government...and has consistently been labeled 1 of the top cities to live in as an LGBT person and as an African American.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Before I comment on everything else...Pat McCrory was actually a likeable Republican when he was mayor of Charlotte (I lived there during his mayorship). He helped push for the Lynx Light Rail System...he was a huge booster for downtown development...creating a more true urban core and urban city...he lost to Bev Perdue in 2008 barely in that state election for Governor...I remember a lot of it was because the eastern parts of the state had so much power in Raleigh that they fought tooth and nail to keep it from a Charlottean...
Somehow Pat changed in the following 4 yrs and became everything that is wrong w/ the GOP and Tea Party....Party first instead of working across the aisle...so yeah if you voted for him, hindsight is 20/20 but remembering how he was as Charlott's mayor, had I lived in NC, I may have voted for him too. And I'm quite a liberal Democrat. Charlotte and Asheville are the only truly liberal cities though in NC. And Charlotte is not that liberal compared to most Northern and Midwestern big cities. Asheville comes close but is more like a Boulder, CO...a birkenstock kind of place.

Now for the comparisons...OP wanted comparisons of certain things...I've visited Raleigh enough to know it fairly well and am now living my second stint in OH...so I feel I can answer this objectively.
1 Public Transportation...sucks in both places...neither city has light rail or even street cars...but Columbus does have a far superior bus system...Advantage Columbus
2. Amenities...Depends what you are looking for regarding amenities...Raleigh has better parks imo, but Columbus has better museums and Columbus has one of the best zoos in the nation...I don't even thing NC has a zoo in the state. Raleigh sits a couple hrs inland from the coast and about 2 hrs from the mountains...while Columbus is disadvantaged in that regard, it does sit w/in 2 hrs of Lake Erie which as some nice areas...it also sits w/in 2 hrs of 4 other really nice ciites Cincy, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, & Indy...Richmond and Charlotte are the only big cities w/in 2 hrs of Raleigh...Columbus is also 2 hrs away from the best amusement park in the world, Cedar Point....so here I think its a slight edge to Columbus overall.
3. Weather advantage goes to Raleigh...Raleigh gets a couple inches of snow maybe once every 3 yrs (same in Charlotte)...Columbus gets 30" per year..Winter only lasts from Dec through Feb in Raleigh...instead of Nov through Mar here...you'll never see freezing temps in April or Oct in Raleigh, you will in Columbus. Raleigh certainly gets more hot and humid for 3-4 months in summer but it's not on the scale you find in Florida or Texas.
4. Entertainment...both cities have their party areas w/ loud obnoxious bars...Raleigh has a big Amphitheater...I think Columbus closed theirs...but Columbus seems to get more national acts touring through...especially alternative rock groups...both places have a theater for musicals...both have 1 pro sports team in the NHL Raleigh has more colleges yes but none are as good as Ohio STate is at athletics. OSU routinely wins more football games than Duke and UNC combined.
5. School/Colleges...Ohio hands down is much better at primary education...even w/ our unconstitutional funding that the state legislature has refused to fix..educationally, Raleigh's universities are better...Duke and UNC are both Top 20 universites...OSU is Top 50 and while I feel the quality of education is the same at most universities, it may be behind those 2 especially..
6. Architecture...Raleigh is suburban sprawl and cookie cutter McMansions...While Metro Columbus has plenty of that...it also does have many great neighborhoods w/ homes of lots of character...Columbus easily wins thsi
7. Politics...Columbus is far more progressive/liberal...while both state governments are controlled by conservatives, Columbus has a very liberal city government...and has consistently been labeled 1 of the top cities to live in as an LGBT person and as an African American.
True that's why I mention, there is no comparison Columbus vs Charlotte. Charlotte is much much more Metro. NC has the Zoo in Asheboro, I haven't been to since a child and I had an crazy encounter with a Gorilla while living back in VA Beach as child. I just don't deal with animals unless it's on Animal Planet lol. Coming back on the Pat, That's why i voted for him because of the things he did for the Queen City, his rep was good. I don't know what the hell he is doing right now!

I disagree on the OSU athletics is greater than the triangle. Yes, OSU has a great football team and they are my 3rd Favorite college football team. OSU is only know for football. Last year, Duke's football could of and would of beat OSU. Hell, OSU couldn't beat Clemson in the bowl game. Also, UNC always get their players drafted in pro football in basketball. College sports is much bigger here in the Triangle and hence there is no need for a pro football or basketball team here in the Triangle, like the Queen City. Ohio is only heavily recruited for football #8, Where as NC is heavily recruited for both sports #3 in basketball and #9 in football. ACC is a force in both football and basketball. UNC alone has the best players ever to play the NBA, following behind is Duke. Southern States alone are much heavily recruited for athletes than the North, Midwest, or West. It's funny because my wife and I debate and there is no debating sports NC vs OH. She got so desperate to mention that OHIO STATE are Tennis Champs for 2014
I eat and live sports!

ALSO Michael Jordan > Lebron James
Jordan Never lost a NBA Finals and He never played a game 7! I think Lebron James is greater person than Jordan on an approachable aspect. Jordan has cold-heart, what you expect he's from NC.

I do agree with Higher education is the same, When you graduate, we all get a piece of paper. It's the your skillset that make you marketable in the job market.

BTW Orlando, FL has the best amusement park in the world. My favorite quote for most athletes>>>>> "I'm going to Disney world!!"

Last edited by Filipinowise; 08-21-2014 at 08:15 AM..

Old 08-21-2014, 09:53 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinowise View Post
True that's why I mention, there is no comparison Columbus vs Charlotte. Charlotte is much much more Metro. NC has the Zoo in Asheboro, I haven't been to since a child and I had an crazy encounter with a Gorilla while living back in VA Beach as child. I just don't deal with animals unless it's on Animal Planet lol. Coming back on the Pat, That's why i voted for him because of the things he did for the Queen City, his rep was good. I don't know what the hell he is doing right now!

I disagree on the OSU athletics is greater than the triangle. Yes, OSU has a great football team and they are my 3rd Favorite college football team. OSU is only know for football. Last year, Duke's football could of and would of beat OSU. Hell, OSU couldn't beat Clemson in the bowl game. Also, UNC always get their players drafted in pro football in basketball. College sports is much bigger here in the Triangle and hence there is no need for a pro football or basketball team here in the Triangle, like the Queen City. Ohio is only heavily recruited for football #8, Where as NC is heavily recruited for both sports #3 in basketball and #9 in football. ACC is a force in both football and basketball. UNC alone has the best players ever to play the NBA, following behind is Duke. Southern States alone are much heavily recruited for athletes than the North, Midwest, or West. It's funny because my wife and I debate and there is no debating sports NC vs OH. She got so desperate to mention that OHIO STATE are Tennis Champs for 2014
I eat and live sports!...No Way Duke would have beaten that OSU team last year...Clemson beat OSU after Miller injured his shoulder, and played through it...and still was very close...Clemson's only losses were a blow to FSU (by far the best team last season) and a tight loss to in state rival South Carolina in Columbia...and the last few yrs, OSU has been better than UNC in hoops...Duke as well...OSU doesn't lose to teams like Mercer in the tournament's first rd. (Dayton at least made a run to the Elite 8). Plus, FSU and Clemson are the only ACC schools good at football...when Miami is cheating they get good too but once they get slapped for it, they drop off completely.

ALSO Michael Jordan > Lebron James
Jordan Never lost a NBA Finals and He never played a game 7! I think Lebron James is greater person than Jordan on an approachable aspect. Jordan has cold-heart, what you expect he's from NC.
Agreed...I think even Kobe Bryant in his prime before his injuries was better...LeBron is the 3rd/4th best player I've ever seen (Magic Johnson may be better to)...but this has nothing to do w/ Raleigh or Columbus...neither player ever played for teams there...Jordan was in Chapel Hill for college a long time ago...close to Raleigh yes, but not in Raleigh. He owns the Bobcats now and that franchise has been sorry since day 1.

I do agree with Higher education is the same, When you graduate, we all get a piece of paper. It's the your skillset that make you marketable in the job market.
It's what kind of connections or networking you have plus the skills, plus your skills to sell yourself. I've used very little of what I actually learned in my Logistics classes even (that was my major at OSU), in the professional world, and I've worked in Transportation Logistics for the majority of the 13 yrs since I graduated.

BTW Orlando, FL has the best amusement park in the world. My favorite quote for most athletes>>>>> "I'm going to Disney world!!"
In terms of Roller Coasters and Thrill Rides, Cedar Point has the most, and has the most record breakers. Disney is a far bigger park but not the best. Again, nothing to do w/ Raleigh...and Cedar Point only has to do w/ Columbus in that it's a 2-2.5 hr drive away...similar distance as the beacehs or mountains from Raleigh.

BTW, yes I agree Charlotte is better than both of them, although Columbus still has more character...Charlotte urban renewed itself in the 70s and lost a lot of classical style buildings...so everything is very new there...and lacks that classic beauty to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus