Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 02:53 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Anywhere in Ohio is much nicer than almost all the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 04:08 PM

252 posts, read 349,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Ohio people are nice enough, but I wouldn't go that far. I've found people in the Florida panhandle to be noticeably nicer than people in most other places I've been. Likewise with people who come from Iowa, South Dakota and Minnesota. Have you heard the old phrase "Minnesota Nice"? There are nice people everywhere and turds everywhere, but it is noticeable in that part of the country.

I don't agree that Columbus people are meaner than in any other places, though.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:17 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
Ohio people are nice enough, but I wouldn't go that far. I've found people in the Florida panhandle to be noticeably nicer than people in most other places I've been. Likewise with people who come from Iowa, South Dakota and Minnesota. Have you heard the old phrase "Minnesota Nice"? There are nice people everywhere and turds everywhere, but it is noticeable in that part of the country.

I don't agree that Columbus people are meaner than in any other places, though.
So maybe Minnesota? Also, nobody is from Florida. Mostly old people from Ohio, case in point. I stand by it. There are nice people in Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, etc, but Ohio is the largest state of nice folk, so there's just more of them.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:16 AM

638 posts, read 977,927 times
I just moved from the panhandle of Florida. I find that the people in Columbus to be very friendly for the most part. However, the driving is absolutely horrendous.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:31 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
I just moved from the panhandle of Florida. I find that the people in Columbus to be very friendly for the most part. However, the driving is absolutely horrendous.
Keep in mind that a good chunk of the residents there aren't even from Ohio. It's getting difficult to tell where the bad drivers are really coming from.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:27 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I wouldn't go that far.... after all Cleveland comes to mind. I had one Clevelander tell me that Cincinnati of all places was "second-rate", which was very ironic. It made for a good laugh considering the source was a Cleveland native who still lives there.....

Old 03-24-2015, 04:23 AM

96 posts, read 191,730 times
When I first moved to Columbus, I noticed the rudeness but it was mostly with random strangers and service people. Columbus is a very low service / no service kind of town so don't expect much with people working in stores, restaurants, etc. Be glad you don't have their jobs.

I have heard that college towns with transient populations tend to be more rude than other towns. It's hard to pin it on Columbus though because so many people in Columbus are from somewhere else.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:10 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccasionalCommentary2020 View Post
When I first moved to Columbus, I noticed the rudeness but it was mostly with random strangers and service people. Columbus is a very low service / no service kind of town so don't expect much with people working in stores, restaurants, etc. Be glad you don't have their jobs.

I have heard that college towns with transient populations tend to be more rude than other towns. It's hard to pin it on Columbus though because so many people in Columbus are from somewhere else.
I don't know what it is, but this approach to someone not doing their job properly regardless of what kind of job it is never sits well with me. If someone doesn't know any better, I just explain to them how things are done at another location belonging to the same chain. Why should service at an Olive Garden in Columbus or at a Longhorn be any different than one of these places in a different location? I realize these workers would rather be at their college campus wearing their favorite Ohio State shirt instead of being at work, but they shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:21 PM

484 posts, read 467,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
I wouldn't go that far.... after all Cleveland comes to mind. I had one Clevelander tell me that Cincinnati of all places was "second-rate", which was very ironic. It made for a good laugh considering the source was a Cleveland native who still lives there.....
I have found people on both ends of the state to be pretty nice, but yes, I agree there is a sense of superiority mixed with defensiveness among Clevelanders and, to a lesser extent, Cleveland sports fans no matter where they are from that I am at a loss to explain.
The generally friendly demeanor of Midwesterners was something I really missed when I lived in Texas for two-plus years.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:49 PM

503 posts, read 898,833 times
I live in NYC and trust me, the times I've been to Ohio, I felt like I was treated like royalty. I'm actually considering a move to Columbus. Too many rude people here, crime, dirt, not enough space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus