Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 05:25 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,364 times

Advertisements

Try riding a bike in Cleveland and see how friendly it is: it's no New York or Chicago that's for sure. And again, not even anywhere near Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 05:32 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Try riding a bike in Cleveland and see how friendly it is: it's no New York or Chicago that's for sure. And again, not even anywhere near Milwaukee.
If you're talking about the downtown area, I might believe that, mostly because there are few bikers there and not much of a bike culture. However, have you biked downtown since the bike/pedestrian path was built across the Hope Memorial Bridge, about two years ago?

Certainly, Cleveland has many wonderful biking trails, such as the Towpath Trail, which is being expanded gradually to Lake Erie.

I would admit that currently, partially because of the large Ohio State population, Columbus has a much better urban biking culture.

Cleveland's more harsh winters, more compact and walkable downtown, and more robust mass transportation all perhaps combine to stifle the development of a biking culture.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:01 PM

420 posts, read 804,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
New Yorkers are very friendly btw!!
Lol, thanks for the laugh.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:14 PM

Default College Football Playoff

In post 38, I said Ohio State won the first BCS.

I should have said that they won the first CFP, College Football Playoff.

College Football Playoff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-06-2015, 07:27 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
I am not sure if I am the only one that has noticed this but people in Columbus seem very unfriendly and cold. If you try to be nice they act like you want something.
Well, it is a big city with a crime rate on the high side...

The people are friendly, but not in the southern way. They don't have time for the niceties. State your business and then move on.

Friendship/being friendly is more shown through a willingness to help people out and hanging out with the same group of friends every weekend.

Although there is an undercurrent of aggression flowing through that city. I figure it has a lot to do with youth and raging hormones.

Keep in mind up until recently the city only drew in people regionally. So with that you have a lot of kids flooding into the city from their little Ohio towns to "make it" in the big city. With that comes a limited social sophistication.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:19 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
This thread is a perfect example of why persons from Cleveland are defensive if not outspoken in defense of their city.

Where are you from? If you're not from Cleveland, I'm lost to explain this to you on a public website, you just don't understand.

Also you cited wikipedia as proof that the mafia isn't in Cleveland anymore. Was it just a coincidence that the county Commissioners that the FBI investigated were all Italian? Visiting Little Italy is not going to clue you in to mafia presence, lol.....

Old 04-06-2015, 11:21 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,427 times
Quote:
Lol, try riding a bike in downtown DC. People aren't friendly to cyclists here, either, and there are designated bike lanes here!

People don't like cyclists in traffic, they are slow and annoying. Google cyclist-car conflicts in DC if you want to see! People are downright mean to cyclists in DC.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Where are you from? If you're not from Cleveland, I'm lost to explain this to you on a public website, you just don't understand.

Also you cited wikipedia as proof that the mafia isn't in Cleveland anymore. Was it just a coincidence that the county Commissioners that the FBI investigated were all Italian? Visiting Little Italy is not going to clue you in to mafia presence, lol.....
I'm from Greater Cleveland.

Send me a PM as your claim is contrary to everything that I know, and I've had this discussion recently with someone who lives in Little Italy. I can tell you stories about the Mafia in the old days.

I just searched cleveland.com, and this story also suggests the destruction of the Cleveland mafia.

<<Along with federal indictments handed up for seven others the day before the Licavoli convictions, this marked the end of the Mafia in Cleveland, according to many accounts. Licavoli died in prison.>>

John Sopko fought the Mafia in Cleveland and now he's fighting fraud and corruption in Afghanistan | cleveland.com

The corrupt Cleveland public officials were NOT all Italian and there's a difference between public corruption and assassinations and violent extortion, both once common in Cleveland.

http://www.cleveland.com/countyincri...common_pl.html

Old 04-07-2015, 01:21 PM

417 posts, read 594,103 times
The people I have encountered in Columbus can't even say the pleasantries such as "Good Morning," "bye," "excuse me," "how are you?" I don't think this has anything to do with not having time but outright rudeness. The "midwestern" values does not exist but I guess most places are like that. The "small town" friendliness doesn't exist either.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:06 AM

207 posts, read 338,796 times
Quote:
From the way they talk about it it sounds like a smaller hybrid of Chicago and New York when in reality it's not even a Milwaukee.
I'm sure this was an errant remark, Cleveland is in a different tier. Our museums, music, theaters, and hospitals, are among the best, far superior to Milwaukee. Our schools are better than Milwaukee. The restaurants is getting significant attention, Cleveland has made many travel lists for 2015; Cleveland's amenities and resources of Cleveland en masse allow it to be a top city- perception, however, is another matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus