Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 04:10 PM

96 posts, read 191,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
I don't know what it is, but this approach to someone not doing their job properly regardless of what kind of job it is never sits well with me. If someone doesn't know any better, I just explain to them how things are done at another location belonging to the same chain. Why should service at an Olive Garden in Columbus or at a Longhorn be any different than one of these places in a different location? I realize these workers would rather be at their college campus wearing their favorite Ohio State shirt instead of being at work, but they shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them.
The problem is that you're eating at Olive Garden instead of an authentic family owned Italian restaurant.

But seriously. My point was that the friendliness of people in service industries isn't the best way to guage the friendliness of the locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 05:48 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmave View Post
I have found people on both ends of the state to be pretty nice, but yes, I agree there is a sense of superiority mixed with defensiveness among Clevelanders and, to a lesser extent, Cleveland sports fans no matter where they are from that I am at a loss to explain.
The generally friendly demeanor of Midwesterners was something I really missed when I lived in Texas for two-plus years.
Some Clevelanders probably stand out the most from the rest of Ohio because of their snobbery: they make sure you know that they're from Cleveland which they consider the best thing about Ohio by far. From the way they talk about it it sounds like a smaller hybrid of Chicago and New York when in reality it's not even a Milwaukee. Otherwise, if they don't share that sentiment they don't bring it up and when they do they only have bad things to say about it: seems like one of those love-hate deals.

As for Columbus I didn't notice more rudeness there than other cities in general. As for the unenthusiastic service industry, remember that these people have to deal with Buckeye fans on a regular basis: I wouldn't be so cheery either. As for local Columbus residents being "cold" there does seem to be a decent amount of good old fashioned, Midwestern passive-aggressiveness, but this has to do more longer-term encounters like making friends rather than brief daily encounters with strangers. Locals from the city tend to already have a full network of friends, usually from high school, so it can be more difficult to meet new people and break in when you're not from there or in my case, even as a local I had a somewhat hard time since I only had a small handful of local friends growing up there. With some effort it is very doable, though.

I'm guessing most of the cold and rudeness is from coastal transplants just doing a (relatively) short stint there before moving elsewhere and particularly, if they're from the East Coast bringing their cultural baggage with them and they work in the service industry and they have to deal with Buckeye fans all the time, then that would explain quite a bit of the OP's question. Maybe try sticking to locally owned and operated locales?

Old 03-25-2015, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 8,391 times
I've lived here (Cols) all my life. There are a fair number of people here with relatives from Appalachia. A large Black community and all the alphabet soup liberal groups. Most people will talk to you if they are natives. I can't rate Cols. to other City's friendliness but I would rate it as 7 out of 10.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:03 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccasionalCommentary2020 View Post
The problem is that you're eating at Olive Garden instead of an authentic family owned Italian restaurant.

But seriously. My point was that the friendliness of people in service industries isn't the best way to guage the friendliness of the locals.
Lol but if eat at an authentic family owned restaurant that is more expensive, I won't have the luxury of listening to annoying, screaming kids typically found in the chain restaurants!

Old 03-25-2015, 07:15 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,125 times
Quote:
I have found people on both ends of the state to be pretty nice, but yes, I agree there is a sense of superiority mixed with defensiveness among Clevelanders and, to a lesser extent, Cleveland sports fans no matter where they are from that I am at a loss to explain.
The generally friendly demeanor of Midwesterners was something I really missed when I lived in Texas for two-plus years.
I can speak for the Cleveland sports fans I know, and I know many. I lived in Cleveland for over 25 years. They think that just because they haven't won a championship since Jim Brown, that they are owed respect for being a fan of teams that haven't won in forever. Then they try to get all defensive when you point out the facts about Cleveland not having won anything since Jim Brown. Then they try and shift focus to whatever city you live in and the sports scene there . They burn their Lebron jerseys when he leaves and then rush out to buy new ones when he comes back. "Oh no, I never said anything bad about the way Lebron handled the decision" lol. Never mind that I recall them saying he was horrible for leaving as they burned his jersey. I bring it up to my Cleveland friends all the time and we get a good laugh out of the sports mentality.

"Cleveland fans love their sports!".... lol what city doesn't like their teams...
No fan is more loyal than the Toronto Raptors fans. When their stars leave, they don't cower away from the stadium....they fill the seats. Now that's a real fan. Anytime a Cleveland fan tries to talk about what a great fan is, they should think about what it's like to be a Toronto raptor's fan.

Good Cleveland fans are also OSU buckeye fans, and will sport the red O-H-I-O gear.

Last edited by maxmodder; 03-25-2015 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 07:55 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,427 times
Quote:
Cleveland was historically the most awesome city in Ohio, and simultaneously one of the hardest to live in for the poorer people of Cleveland. There's a lot of amazing history in Cleveland, that was once an international port town. It's the city with the most extreme in highs and lows of accomplishments and historical happenings, out of the cities in Ohio. And our sports history is epically bad. I think that explains the attitude.

Have you ever heard the saying:
"Cleveland: you gotta be tough!"
?

Old 03-25-2015, 07:59 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Some Clevelanders probably stand out the most from the rest of Ohio because of their snobbery: they make sure you know that they're from Cleveland which they consider the best thing about Ohio by far. From the way they talk about it it sounds like a smaller hybrid of Chicago and New York when in reality it's not even a Milwaukee. Otherwise, if they don't share that sentiment they don't bring it up and when they do they only have bad things to say about it: seems like one of those love-hate deals.

As for Columbus I didn't notice more rudeness there than other cities in general. As for the unenthusiastic service industry, remember that these people have to deal with Buckeye fans on a regular basis: I wouldn't be so cheery either. As for local Columbus residents being "cold" there does seem to be a decent amount of good old fashioned, Midwestern passive-aggressiveness, but this has to do more longer-term encounters like making friends rather than brief daily encounters with strangers. Locals from the city tend to already have a full network of friends, usually from high school, so it can be more difficult to meet new people and break in when you're not from there or in my case, even as a local I had a somewhat hard time since I only had a small handful of local friends growing up there. With some effort it is very doable, though.

I'm guessing most of the cold and rudeness is from coastal transplants just doing a (relatively) short stint there before moving elsewhere and particularly, if they're from the East Coast bringing their cultural baggage with them and they work in the service industry and they have to deal with Buckeye fans all the time, then that would explain quite a bit of the OP's question. Maybe try sticking to locally owned and operated locales?
Cleveland isn't the Midwest.... It's a Mafia run city with a number of proud ethnic strongholds, International ties, and yes it is similar to Chicago and NY/NJ, Philly. It's different from the rest of Ohio, but then again there are at least 5 distinct regions of Ohio that are all different from each other.

Columbus is a Midwestern city, but also has a Southern influence. Insurance industry is huge in Cbus, unlike Cleveland. Cincinnati might as well be in Kentucky. Toledo might as well be a suburb of Detroit.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:06 PM

205 posts, read 296,588 times
I am not from Columbus, but my last visit left me with an excellent first impression. I decided to be adventurous and feel young again by staying at a hostel. It was fun and everyone wanted to talk to me. At night, I walked to a pool hall close by. I started playing by myself and another guy asked if I wanted somebody to shoot with. We chatted it up and had a great time.

I was playing pool on a different day at a different pool hall and the old guys on the table next to us started chatting us up.

All of the people I talked to at the convenience stores were friendly and helpful. Even the bus drivers were extremely helpful.

I can't wait to go back.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:07 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Anywhere in Ohio is much nicer than almost all the rest of the country.
This has to be a joke lol

Old 04-03-2015, 09:23 PM

417 posts, read 594,103 times
New Yorkers are very friendly btw!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus